Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:22:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [New Project] Victorian Steampunk skirmish game - research  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Sybou

• Bookworm
    • Sybou's lair ...
[New Project] Victorian Steampunk skirmish game - research
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have got this in my head since quiet a time now and I d like to begin a new project. I really enjoyed the look and the atmosphere of a steampunk victorian era. The inspiration comes from the league of extraordinary gentlemen comics and mostly from the smog miniatures.

I d like to create a skirmish game with like 5 or 6 guys in each side with the possibility to play from 2 to 6 players.

Do you know any rules I could use for this game? If you know the game named Eden, some rules like this would be awesome.
One other thing important is to be able to create your own characters and minions. May be "super system" can be the ruleset I m looking for. Any advice?

Otherwise, in the miniatures side, if you could provide me some interesting companies, I d be interested. I already watched the topic of "zombies hunting" which was very interesting but I wouldn t want to miss something. :)
Any mini closed to the smog look is wanted.
Here you can see my stuffs!!!

http://sybouslair.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: [New Project] Victorian Steampunk skirmish game - research
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
.45 Adventure.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Wolfslord

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:01:17 AM »
Strange Aeons is a nice ruleset. Some like .45 more, some like me don't at all.  ;) I also think, that the SA rules can be easily adapted to your gaming needs.

The aim of a miniature skirmish game is to enact battles between two opponents on a tabletop. In the case of Strange Aeons, one player takes control of a band of heroic Threshold operatives and the other player acts as the evil Lurkers. Games of Strange Aeons are based in a roughly historical setting sometime after 1920 and can take place anywhere in the world.

Along with the rulebook and a handful of regular six-sided, dice both players will need somewhere between 1-10 models to represent their Threshold lists as well as a few models to represent the Lurkers. The models used in Strange Aeons are 25 millimeters scale and are produced by many fine companies.
Strange Aeons should be played on a level surface that measures roughly 2’ x 3’. Games take an average of 45 minutes to play and are fast, dynamic and deadly.

The heroes learn new skills as they search for ancient artifacts and elusive map pieces to lead them on even greater quests. But the path is fraught with danger! Injuries, madness and death all wait to claim the careless or foolish adventurer. Over 20 different types of villainous madmen and monsters and a unique modification system ensures you never have to fight the same Lurker twice. Which is good, ‘cause with 12 action-packed scenarios who knows what might happen.

Journey into fear…and beyond madness!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:04:33 AM by Wolfslord »
My (work in progress) Wargaming Blog:
http://wwpd-wargaming-blog.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:13:36 AM »
I have used .45 for VSF before and it worked well. I am not sure whether you are maybe after a more RPG. We are about to start playing Savage worlds and I have the VSF supplenment for that, "Red Sands". The rules seem to be quite miniatures friendly.
As for miniature companies. Have you had a look at the sticky thread at the top of the VSF board. Covers pretty much every company.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »
Ive got a game called Nuclear Renaissance. You make small teams or gangs. Its great for multi player gaming. We played a 5 player game on monday and it took about 2 hours. Great fun! Its free to download on my website too.

Im also working on a supplement for campaign play. It adds alot more skills and options, and Im looking for people to help test out the balance.

THe reason I suggest it is that I also make a load of VSF models to go with the game. I figure that after the apocalypse VSF will be on the rise: posh frocks, tall hats and steam power....

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
Nuclear Renaissance is definitely worth looking at and you can't beat FREE!

Anyhow that Curtis fella should make some MORE cool steampunk/VSF vehicles.......hint..hint

PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.