Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Giant Deep One Available from Nameless Design Miniatures  (Read 11961 times)

Offline achab

• Scientist
Re: Giant Deep One Available from Nameless Design Miniatures
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 10:31:06 PM »
Actually, I like the idea of different kinds of deep ones. The very recent Delta Green CoC supplement Targets of Opportunity supports the idea that Insmouth Deep Ones are ony one particular strain, and that there are many others, including elder ones much less human and more sanity shaking than your average hybrid (think of them as missing links between standard deep ones and Dagon/Hydra types). So, this one would make a nice figure for such a deep one.

A.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
Never said I didn't like the idea of different deep ones, I have many different ones, from the old grenadier ones, (looking distinctly permian/devonian in their evolution), through to the fenris games set, (all based on different abyssal creatures) to the more standard Innsmouth look from RAMF and Reaper.

As Roebeast appreciated, I wasn't having a pop just expressing an opinion, looking forward to the next release.

Lovecraft said it best:

I think their predominant color was a greyish-green, though they had white bellies. They were mostly shiny and slippery, but the ridges of their backs were scaly. Their forms vaguely suggested the anthropoid, while their heads were the heads of fish, with prodigious bulging eyes that never closed. At the sides of their necks were palpitating gills, and their long paws were webbed. They hopped irregularly, sometimes on two legs and sometimes on four. I was somehow glad that they had no more than four limbs. Their croaking, baying voices, clearly used for articulate speech, held all the dark shades of expression which their staring faces lacked ... They were the blasphemous fish-frogs of the nameless design - living and horrible.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Must read that Delta Green supplement, be interested to see the additional deepone background.

Cheers

The Commander

Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 02:17:06 PM »
No of course not Commander; wouldn't dream of suggesting such a thing :) Our opinions should be as diverse as the typse of Deep Ones out there in the briny depths!
Oh - ancient ones, the fearless gods
I wake you up tonight
To rule the earth again

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 02:23:18 PM »
No of course not Commander; wouldn't dream of suggesting such a thing :) Our opinions should be as diverse as the typse of Deep Ones out there in the briny depths!

Quite, so go and take a gander at mine when your sanity is in question! ;)

Offline Profane Creation

• Bookworm
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »
"When"?!

Sounds like a deal!

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 06:57:45 PM »
That's a terriffic figure! I may have to acquire one once next payday coems around ^_^

Dreamingleopard, I think maybe a bit of both. From what I gather DOs breed both among themselves and somehow crossdreed with humans. In the CoC rulebook description it states that DOs are immortal while some hybrids are as well, implying that you get both. Although quite how you get a fishman to mate with a human is beyond anyone's guess.

I would guess also that female deep ones wouldn't neccessairly look any more "femenine" that males; at least how we see them. If Deep Ones still broadcast reproduce (or at the very least lay eggs) then they have no need for mammary glands; the fry will be born of eggs, and probabyl have a yolk sac for a while until a certain stage of maturity, and then eventually develop into fully-formed DOs. Hmmm, taking that idea, it's possible then that DOs have a "larval" stage like amphibians, perhaps infant DOs look nothing more than fish until a certain age when more anthropomorphic development kicks in? Who knows. All fish that I'm aware of lay a vast multitude of eggs; the female laying them before the male(s) fertilise them; both gametes (eggs and sperm) released into the water.

From what I've read of true Lovecraftian Deep Ones, they are the result of an acquired genetic development in normally-born humans.  That would mean Deep Ones would be livebearers, and they would be able to crossbreed easily with humans.  These hybrids would metamorph into first Hybrids, and then to full Deep Ones upon maturity.  In which case there would be no child Deep Ones, because all the children would look human, even if their genes dictate Deep One upon maturation.  Given the rarity of Deep Ones, and assuming it's a simple Mendelian cross, the trait should be recessive.  Hybrid-looking persons could therefore be permanent hybrids (fish-ugly heterozygous forever) or pure Deep Ones (homozygous) maturing into maturity.  A pure Deep One mating would yield 100% homozygous offspring. One pure Deep One and an hybrid would yield half hybrids and half Deep Ones and no normal humans.  Neither case would be problematic from a child-rearing perspective (assuming the gene confers water-managing capabilities in infants), but in the case of a double hybrid pairing yielding 25% normal humans, 50% hybrid, 25% deep ones, this would probably force a long distance parental relationship - one at sea, the other land-bound.   No doubt such mates would live near coastal areas - like Innsmouth.  If the gene doesn't confer water-management capabilities in infants, then there would be a good deal of infants left at the doorsteps of humans... a neat plot hook.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:01:53 PM by dreamingleopard »