Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:16:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tengu Models Shoggoth  (Read 18838 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Tengu Models Shoggoth
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
Ordered, cheers Iain.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 07:26:46 PM »
Collected my package today. The Shoggoth is absolutely marvellous, casting quality of the very highest order, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in Cthulhu-related miniatures.

The "Son of Soapy" is also a marvellous piece - where the Shoggy is exquisitely detailed, this one is tremendously smooth. Had a little problem with mine, but that is already sorted, so top marks for service to Tengu. I am amazed how well the figure meshes in with the mental image of the story (pun intended), and yet how it is totally different from the RAFM "Son" that I also have somewhere.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
Arrived today lovely thanks. One thing, do one x3 size, hollow cast to cut down on weight/resin, would be great to bring out dad if junior's getting his protoplasm kicked!

:)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2011, 03:01:52 PM »
Arrived today lovely thanks. One thing, do one x3 size, hollow cast to cut down on weight/resin, would be great to bring out dad if junior's getting his protoplasm kicked!

:)

I'm currently painting mine and would probably buy one of those, too! But I wonder if the sculptor has enough sanity left to sculpt all the eyes and bubbles you would need to do on such a big one... lol

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »
I have faith in Iain, plus i know a good private psychiatric unit with a warm bed and a full meds trolley! ;)

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »
Lol yeah I'll have the number off you Mark :) I'm thinking about a larger hollow cast model, just not sure of the technique. I met someone who made really nice hollow cast resin buildings at Gauntlet last year. The walls were a regular 4mm thickness and they were single cast..... wouldn't tell me how he did it though :)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »
Brilliant model!  Love it with the tentacles!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
URG!

I kinda made a vow that I won't buy new stuff in any line, until I get most of the 'old stuff' all painted up.

I've only finished 2 of my previous TENGU models, so I have to get busy before i order this....

(it's killing me though!)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 10:02:54 PM »
Lol yeah I'll have the number off you Mark :) I'm thinking about a larger hollow cast model, just not sure of the technique. I met someone who made really nice hollow cast resin buildings at Gauntlet last year. The walls were a regular 4mm thickness and they were single cast..... wouldn't tell me how he did it though :)

Spun moulds? I remember having as a kid a snoopy plaster figure mould making kit, where you snapped the moulds into a spinning frame, added the plaster of paris and used the handle to spin the son bitch until the plaster when off. Result hollow cast.

I'd just go for a two part piece personally, a bit easier to do but that would require two two part moulds, (one for each half).

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2011, 10:37:19 PM »
I'd just go for a two part piece personally, a bit easier to do but that would require two two part moulds, (one for each half).

While it would certainly make life easier for the caster, unless they manage to pull off the mother of all mould splits, it's going to make for horrendous joint line smoothing.

I wonder if you could do a "bottom block" and a "plug" to be inserted into the main blocks' cavity.

Offline ballistic_bro

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:48 PM »
I wonder if you could do a "bottom block" and a "plug" to be inserted into the main blocks' cavity.

Oh dear, it's a good job this isn't Frothers!! ;)

A x3 model would be great, spin casting might not be a bad idea, you know. :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:22 AM »
Oh dear, it's a good job this isn't Frothers!! ;)

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter! lol

TOTALLY unintended. Really, even if nobody's going to believe me. lol

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2011, 01:13:17 AM »
Fancied painting this one straight away, probably my quickest, purchase to paint time for a while.

(Excuse the Deep Ones, always trying to steal the limelight and it was a gibbous moon! ;).

I've gone for a similar paint finish to Iain's store models.

Although I started with a white undercoat and built out using Green GW ink and the green wash. Once I got to a suitable depth of colour I stated to add some coat d'arms armour wash in there and some of the very old GW green wash, and ork flesh wash.

Once complete, I went over the eyes with a thined scorpion green, stippling and pooling little dots of green to give that pulsating glow. (I also think a jet black one with neon blue eyes would really pop too!).

Anyway still to finish this one, got to go round tidying up the eyes, glazing them and adding some highlights to the entire body before glossing.

I was going to add limbs/tentacles but got carried away with my washes. I might add some to the finished project.

More pics later.

The Commander
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:27:54 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »
While it would certainly make life easier for the caster, unless they manage to pull off the mother of all mould splits, it's going to make for horrendous joint line smoothing.

The sleeve and solid plug arrangement for the core is so that the rubber inside mold can be more easily removed from the casting, making more complex and undercut inner profiles possible.

Vented backplates are essential when working with open backed molds. It adds almost nothing to the material and labor costs of the mold, and it prevents a lot of extra per unit labor costs down the line for both the caster and the customer. Way too many gaming manufacturers don't use backplates, and there is no excuse for this other than laziness and short sightedness.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:51:36 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »
Great idea, great schematic
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet