Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:59:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686668
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pictures and frustrated rant from playing Malifaux  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pictures and frustrated rant from playing Malifaux
« on: February 03, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
I made some really bad choices putting together my Resurrectionist gang today - not being a competitive player but the absurdity of one particular unit and the "charge" rule made me really annoyed today.

You can always skip the rant and just enjoy the pictures from the game. Also reminded me that I need to make a guide to Malifaux similar to the ones I’ve written for Secrets of the Third Reich, Combat Zone, Incursion and This Very Ground: http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2011/02/claim-cemetary-and-nagging-about-rules.html

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Pictures and frustrated rant from playing Malifaux
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 03:14:00 AM »
Sorry, I did skip the rant, but loved those pics! :-*

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
Sorry, I did skip the rant, but loved those pics! :-*

We are quite bad, aren't we?  :D

I've not been drawn into the game itself, but I'll admit the figures have inspired some impressive paint work.

Well done!

Doug

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
Don't worry about not reading the rant guys - I wrote it to vent my own frustration last night , simple as that  lol

The game is good and great fun. But the rulebook is a MESS! And I've been playing Malifaux since last summer - but every time I have to browse the rulebook for a special rule I feel as if I'm about to experience a mental breakdown from frustraion.

Such a rookie layout is beyond me considering the huge amount of work which must have been put into making/writing the rulebook to begin with.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
There seems to be a lot of self-congratulation on the Wyrd website for the way that rules are interspersed with stories in the book, but it does make it nightmarish to find anything. One supposes that the new/forthcoming stripped-down "rules only" book that is coming out was made to alleviate that problem.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »

The stories are good, and I like how they are linked together with each other forming one larger story. But they should have had one rule section of basic rules and one section with advanced rules without fluff and crap baked into it. And the quick reference part at the back of the book is incomplete an unsatisfying  :?

It's stupid if I have to buy the same rules twice just to get a good overview of them.... might still do it if I can be 100% sure the stripped down rules only will have everything sorted out, errata and faq applied etc.

Of all the games I own and play Malifaux is the only rulebook that is written in this sloppy way, there is really nothing to congratulate about this layout choice.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
As someone who enjoys a good rant myself, I read my way through yours....A SPLENDID RANT! There was just enough vitriol & spleen with a hint of angst...WELL DONE!
The Wyrd Forum was at one time my favorite hangout. It has since become a Fan Boy Forum...there's only some many times you can see the same minis painted in the same way before gag reaction sets in. AND, as one of those Guys who loves/finds deep satisfaction in rolling fists full of dice, I have limited interest in a diceless game despite waiting a couple of years for it to immerge. 

Your game & the minis look TERRIFIC...VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
DeafNala, thanks  :). I would love to have some of the original models but I find them too expensive. Still, I might buy one or two which I find extra cool just to paint them. I decided early on to go all in with "proxy" models from various sources. Most of them ended up being from West Winds Gothic Horror range - tweaked with small conversions in some cases. Ended up having a Resurrectionist gang for 1/4 the price of a Wyrd Gang. Not as cool but being a student doesn't allow you to blow 100$ on a handful of miniatures.

I too realized that the Wyrd forum became a fanboy forum as well. Hard to get straight answers and honest opinions about actual problems - I felt a little paranoid towards the end to be perfectly honest haha. Once again , I really like the game but I'll make sure to raise all the problems when I write the "guide to Malifaux" on my blog later this month so that potential players know what they are getting into.

Btw my buddy Millmir have a very cool proxy gang of Neverborn units as well (speaking of substitute miniatures), some resin demons from "Enigma". Don't have any pictures of his gang but will make sure to take some photos next time I play Malifaux with him.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
I hope this isn't dragging the thread off topic...too far.
I had gotten a bunch of the Ressurrectionists a few years ago when the prices were almost reasonable. I figured with a nice small range of minis I could eventually have the whole line; once the game came out, the number of new releases increased as dramatically as the prices...Old Guys have a limited amount to spend on minis too   :'(. The minis are beautiful, but, like Rackham's stuff, a bit fiddely to assemble.
I had a chance to do a bunch of West Wind's Dwarf War minis awhile ago & really enjoyed working on them; SO I just ordered some of the Gothic Horror minis for a Post Apocalypse style Mordheim variant I'm putzing around with. They have the advantage that, in being relatively uncluttered with nice clean lines, they're easy to modify/convert to whatever you want to do.
I'd enjoy seeing more of your pieces & those of your friend. PLUS, of course, getting your ideas on Malifaux.
BTW you can get great reactions from Wyrd's Fan Boy Contingent if you consistently pronounce the game Mally Fox.   ;)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
BTW you can get great reactions from Wyrd's Fan Boy Contingent if you consistently pronounce the game Mally Fox.   ;)

LOL!  lol