Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:36:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Snatch and Grab  (Read 2770 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Snatch and Grab
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
Snatch and Grab

This is the next installment of our ongoing home game with the Heroic Mr. James and his team of trusty companions.

My son spent 2 of his map pieces to play a recovery game from the suppliment book.

So our next chapter takes us to the nefarious town of Innsmouth where our team sets about to try to recover a mysterious crate. 

Set in opposition are a band of cultists with an Axe wielding Maniac and two Scrawny Ones waiting in the neither regions.

Mr. James and his men start swiftly.   His Rifleman has Sneaky and takes position inside the 2nd story of the Gillman House right away looking for a commanding view of the street.

I have thoughtfully placed pentigrams markers near my spawn, the objective and Mr. James egress point to prevent their easy escape with the crate.  I actually felt I had an overwhelming advantage by doing this...

A cultist runs right away for the nearest pentagram marker to sacrifice himself and summon a scrawny one... unfortuantly for me.  He seemed determined not to kill himself.

3 TURNS LATER...(after much encouragement from his fellow cultists) the unwilling Cultist does the deed and sacrifices himself.. a Scrawny one emerges from the shadows.

Mr. James has by this time been running for 3 rounds to make it to the crate.  He has left Gunner nearby to watch and provide cover at the intersection.  Fortuantely for the Lurkers, all of Mr. James agents are too far away now to use his Command skill.

I smile inwardly...I know that even if Mr. James grabs the crate, the Scrawny Ones can teleport to one of the nearby pentagram markers and block his escape...

To put the pressure on I send my maniac after Mr. James.  As he nears, Gunner knocks him Face Down with to long blasts from his Tommygun, but the maniac isn't injured...and Gunner is out of bullets.

Mr. James is forced to keep running...and is surprised when a Scrawny One appears in front of him right near his deployment zone.

Boo!! MFer!!

I was excited about the Scrawny Ones ability to Swallow Whole but soon realized my mistake...A character has to be face down or face up to use the ability and Mr. James is a much better hand to hand combatant than the Scrawny One (3 dice vs. 2).  The Scrawny Ones's eyes go wide as Mr. James evicerates it with a bowie knife.

Realizing my folly too late...I decide to try to salvage a partial victory by killing one or more of Mr. James's companions.

As Mr. James rushes the prescious crate to his deployment zone and victory I rush his companions.  Gunner is caught off guard and must stand idle as Mr. james runs.  When the Maniac and the two cultists near, he remembers to his horror that his Thompson needs reloading. 

It is too late though an the maniac fells him with a single blow removing him from the board....Poor Dice rolls save the agent from a Major Injury...(DRAT)

The remaining cultists armed with handguns then work their way toward the Rifleman who struggles to escape the Gilman House.

What happens next baffles and frustrates me... Griffin the rifleman waits patiently for the Maniac to enter the courtyard.  The Maniac steps into view and is killed with a devestating shot to the head.

Cultists with handguns then charge into the courtyard.  One fires his gun and immediately runs out of bullets but so does Griffin.  They both stand acqwardly fumbling with their guns.  The Cultists reloads and fires a poor shot allowing Griffin time to kill him. 

The next gunman dies in a similar depressing scene of utter incompetence (that's why they are called underlings) as he also rushes into the courtyard with an unloaded gun. 

With only one knife armed cultist remaining, I rush him to the nearest Pentagram marker and immediately manage to sacrifice him to summon my Final Scrawny One.  This time, I know not to face Mr. James directly and decide to avenge the other cultists by killing the dreaded Rifleman Griffin.

The Scrawny One teleports to a nearby pentagram and attacks Griffin the rifleman and a fierce hand to hand combat ensues.  For 2 rounds both figures are locked in a vicious melee combat.  A tie is rolled and another round passes as neither figure rolls well enough to quite injure each other.  Then a devastating double 6's are rolled by the rifleman cleaving the Scrawny Ones head from his shoulders.

The Lurkers are vanquished...so devestating is the victory, the Threshold team is insistant about posing with the corpses...

And what was in the mysterious crate???  A Trophy...  how appropriate...this allows the Threshold team to reequip one time without having suffered a casualty.  Nice.  My son informs me he will be getting rid of Mr. James's bodyarmor.  It slows him down to much.  Great son..  Just great.. 

On the positive side, at this rate...I'll get to bring Cthulhu out soon. 

"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline widgren

• Scientist
Re: Snatch and Grab
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »
i really like that you play SA with your kids, that is so cool! i dont have any kids but when i do ill want to play mini-games with them too. boeard looks sweet, as well.
keep it up!

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »
Nice set up, and review of the game.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
Great stuff Gauntman! I also love that you play SA with your kids. My dad would have launched into a full-on sermon and burned the evil book and figures long before a game... o_o

Gotta love that ol'timey religion...

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:54:54 PM »
I say prayers with them every nite.  We watched "The Resurrected" the other nite.  We started with "Monsters and Movies aren't real" very early. 

Even a man pure of heart who says his prayers by night..may become a wolf when the wolvesbane blooms and the forest moon is bright.... 

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 01:11:09 PM »
I love the Scrawny ones!! they are soooo sweet  lol lol

Have you used the 3 markers for teleportation? I can see only two in the pictures (just out of interest).

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:13:17 PM »
I used all 3.  Not sure if the pictures show them all.  I put one in the Threshold deployment zone (nothing said I couldn't), by the objective, and by my own deployment zone.  I felt a bit dirty about it, but I played the Scrawny Ones badly. 

You should use them to go after minor civilians or already downed agents and characters.  They aren't strong enough to defeat a Threshold character or agent on their own without some very lucky rolls.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:00:54 AM »
Excellent report there, Gauntman! Sounds like all the game dynamics worked well too (for better and for worse).  Methinks your eldest is getting the hang of this game rather quickly too!
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:19:52 AM »
Very nice battle report/AAR.  I really like you terrain too.

Glad to see you having fun with your son.

Jake
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »
Yeah my oldest has a solid grasp of tactical games...  I normally let my youngest "play" my Threshold figures.  He's actually not making any desisions but thinks he is.  This keeps him involved and happy.  I often say things like "Don't you wanna or we have to get him now."  It's good clean family fun.... ;)

Thanks...my Gillman House rocks.  One of the other buildings is intended to be a mortuary.  I haven't started really detailing and funishing the interior though yet.  I have the decorations prepped (pictures and rugs) but I need to build a few pieces of furnature yet.