Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:01:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690796
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rats, no sticky on rules!  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Rats, no sticky on rules!
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:33:17 PM »
Okay, I will go search the messages  :-I but here is what I am looking for.  >:D

Multiple sets will probably be necessary, I know.   ::)

Not TSATF (personal preference)/allows more color/detail for the colonial nations/native foes (Ideally Spain and foes from 1700 thru 1901 maybe even to 1939 but I can wing modifications)   ???

Battle/not skirmish  (no 1:1 ratios, probably 1:20 or higher)   8)

deployed on table units can be Companies or even Battalions - basically Regimental/Brigade commanders with subordinate commander players optional.   :-*

Can/should include battles between different colonial powers with askaris/native levies ideally.  Suitable for historical or alt historical (but not so "alt" as VSF.)   o_o

Gracias,

Glenn

Here are the rules so far that I own or are aware of that meet at least some of those criteria:

Comancheria (battle, not skirmish; 3-5 figures (IIRC) per a company, based on quality/Rep?)

Splendid Little War (SAW based, 1 base:15men,  I believe)

Rough Riders (1:25, SAW and very specific to that I have been told)

Colonial Adventurers (ratio slips my mind, 1:20???)

Looked at or owned but suitable for skirmish, not battle:

Matchlocks on the Warpath (a "fave" skirmish game)

Good Day to Die

Swordplay

Gutshot

Valor & Steel & Flesh (large skirmish due to 1:1 ratio)

Gloire'

Fire and Steel
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: Rats, no sticky on rules!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:20:39 AM »
Black Powder gives you a toolkit for building your armies.  Scale is not fixed - you can pretty much set it as you wish.

Soldiers' Companion is about 1:20 - just leave out the VSF stuff.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:30:17 PM »
And what is so stinkin' about TSATF?

It's "The Bible", as far as I am concerned! 

:(
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »
And what is so stinkin' about TSATF?

It's "The Bible", as far as I am concerned! 

:(

Well, it's not.   :`

If Rules were religion TSATF would be Roman Catholic and I would be Lutheran.

I find them, at best, adequate (i.e., I sold off both second revision and 20th Anniversary sets.)  I play them if others have games set up but there has be rules much better, I just need to find them.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:05:08 AM »
I second Glenn's comments on TSATF.  Yes, they play a fun game but they leave so much out that I also feel like I ordered a nice meal and the chef had a bad day, a really bad day - and I end up with indigestion.  But I still have my copies of the original variation and supplement, just use for ideas once in a while.

As to better rules, Peter Pig's Patrols in the Sudan, though filled with its own faults (in my view), is a good tool kit to get started with.  But it is specific to the Sudan.

And on that note, just why is it that Peter Pig has so many almost good rules but never quite crosses over that line?  Probably because its that British rule style thing and I'm a bloody yank!  Well, a far west one anywho.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 05:22:46 PM »
Colonial Adventures is fun - IF you like the 2HW style of rules. I personally love Ed's stuff as it gives a really satisfactory solo game when, as all too often, opponents are lacking. Easy to learn, quick play and seems to work with believable results

Don't think there's a set figure scale as such. It's 20 men plus an officer and NCO to a platoon, two platoons plus a CO to a Company. It's so flexible you can easily say each 20 man unit is a company - or even a Battalion. Never tried that but no reason why it shouldn't work. It would be easy enough to work out a chain of command for Brigadiers and higher.

Might be worth trying for an "Adowa" type game some time  :)

Offline harmonkeys

• Assistant
  • aka Scott Pasha
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »
You might want to check out "The Gatling's Jammed" from Partizan Press. It might be too large battle oriented but it has a nice system for dealing with technology levels. Mind, I haven't played it but I have played lots of General de Brigade and Guns at Gettysburg which are kissing cousins. Gatling's Jammed is simpler though.

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:39:20 PM »
I'd second Black Powder. I've played a few Seven Years War and Napoleonic scenarios using them and am gradually warming to the rules. I'm keen to give them a try with something similar to what you're suggesting - colonial with european regulars, colonial troops/askaris, and tribal irregulars.

Also we've used Ever Victorious Armies by Chris Peers - I'm not sure the unit size or figure ratio scale was defined but I'm sure we've fielded them and called them, at different times, companies or battalions.