Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690803
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Terrain elements  (Read 37288 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: New Terrain elements
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »
:o International Orders have a $75 order minimum  :o :(

Ridiculous. Are they owned by Foundry  :-[

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
Hello again.
Thanks for all the positive feedback and the tips and ideas.
How did I do it? Well, all of the smaller outhouse type buildings were based on the presentation boxes that watches come in, they’re a nice size and tend to be of a fairly sturdy construction, so over the years I’ve saved/scrounged quite a few. The taller thinner towers are based on the pressurised tins that fronton balls come in, (think funny tennis) The storage tanks are c.d. towers as stated. But not a new idea, I think I originally saw it on some infinity forum. The longer rectangular structure someone asked about is a tin some pre-prepared food came in. The structure with the sphere was an M and M dispenser from one Easter, it originally had bunny ears, nose and sun glasses. As it wisely stated in the first addition of the 40k/rogue trader rulebook, never throw anything away, hoard all the packaging your better half lets you ;)
The detailing is just bits of wire and plasticard with the additional panels cut from thin card. The doors (as spotted) are the spouts off milk and juice cartons. Of note perhaps are the ladders on some of the buildings, these are made by inserting staples of an appropriate size into the structure, once again a very useful and effective idea lifted from the infinity forums.
A couple of the boxes had texture on them that I didn’t want, and in the case of the larger structure, this was a brandy presentation box and was a bit flimsier and also painted with a shiny surface, so to remove texture, re-enforce and add the first level of panel details, the boxes were covered in masking tape.
I didn’t have any problems with the paint adhering to the C.D. cases, I just built it up in really thin coats, perhaps the gesso helps for this as by shooting it through an airbrush mixed with a medium, you get a lot more control.
All the structures were then airbrushed with a gesso undercoat, and then given another coat, but this time grey. When this was dry liquid mask was applied with a sponge. Once dry, metal areas were sprayed a dark red, once dry, more liquid mask was sponged over these areas.
The final colour was then built up with progressively lighter shades of grey, keeping the coats really thin, so that the previous coats can be seen through them. A couple of times, I gave them a coat of grey/green and beige, just to introduce some moderation into the otherwise cold/dull grey scheme.
While all this was drying, I printed out some letters and numbers in a suitable font and size, and then cut stencils from the sheets, I also cut stencils for the stripes. This is time consuming and a pain in the arse but it’s worth it to get the uniformity that’ll later tie all the pieces together. Another key factor in achieving uniformity is to paint all of the pieces at the same time. It takes longer to start to see results, but in the end saves time, paint and effort.
Once all the stencils had been painted and had dried, I added some posters that a kind and worthy LAFer had posted in one of the fall out threads, these were then abused and torn by dampening them and attacking them…. When dry I removed the liquid mask and gave everything a couple of coats of Klear to seal it all, and then applied filters with raw sienna oil paint. When everything had dried I over sprayed with  light grey to make everything look a little dusty, and then sprayed first Vallejo smoke, then beige around the base of everything to  grime it all up a bit. Finally I Sprayed everything with matt Varnish to take the shine off.
Phewwwww, that sounds long winded, but it really didn’t take that long.
I enclose some close ups of one of the watch boxes so you can get a better idea.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:26:35 PM by hubbabubba »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
Of course, watch boxes!  More ingenuity  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 02:12:32 PM »
Great looking colony  :o And very simple to make...specially for someone like me, who can't even do those "Matakishi-pattern" cork buildings everyone else does  lol

Offline apeekaboo

• Librarian
  • shambler
    • apeekaboo:s wonderful world
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »
Very nice colony you've got there. Interesting use of the milk spouts. I've used them for windows on my medieval  church / dice tower, but hadn't thought of using them for doors. It works great on your sci-fi buildings! I'd better collect some more...  :D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »
Very nice colony you've got there. Interesting use of the milk spouts. I've used them for windows on my medieval  church / dice tower, but hadn't thought of using them for doors. It works great on your sci-fi buildings! I'd better collect some more...  :D

Something else I should have recognised but didn't  ::)

Agreed- another great idea and free too  :D

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 05:46:42 AM »
Could you email me those posters mate? thatbakerkid at gmail.com

I'd super appreciate it! :D Thanks for the recipe!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:48:13 AM by Achilles »

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 08:17:51 PM »
Excellent stuff - thanks for the how-to. I'll be using the techniques when I come to paint my own sci-fi stuff.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
Great stuff. The first thing that crossed my mind was Borderlands. This table looks fantastic and its very inspirational. I will be copying a few ideas.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
excellent!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
Added some scatter terrain and wire fencing. I need to add a couple of bigger buildings, maybe a hanger and a two storey office/ accomodation/lab block, and I'm thinking of making some cork tile roads, hmmmm. What to do what to do :)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 09:13:18 PM »
The Buddha and barricades really add flavor here. And that panda ;).
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline WarDepotDavid

• Student
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 12:55:31 AM »
Awesome work. Very inspiring and so simple to source. Well done.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 03:19:23 AM »
Very inspirational.

This is practical, effective, simple and BEAUTIFUL scenery anyone can be proud to own and game with.

Thanks for sharing your construction tips, and that "milk plastic lids" you use as doors is just a WONDERFUL idea. (Mmm I guess I'll have to start saving those for future use  ;) ).

Keep the good work!

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 06:22:17 AM »
Where are the future crates from? love the gate fence! Thats simply lovely. A close up would be appreciated.