Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:13:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689806
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Hakkaa päälle pohjan poika!”  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
"Hakkaa päälle pohjan poika!”
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:16:32 PM »
...as was the war chant of the cavalry from the eastern half of the Kingdom.

Just released from Warlord Games:

Curved sabres looks...wrong. It simply is not in accordance with 19th century romantic paintings and *those never lie*. ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: "Hakkaa päälle pohjan poika!”
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:21:49 PM »
Hmmm... From what I can see, this is just repackaging of the existing cavalry set, with a few extra single bar lobster-pot helmets and sabres thrown in. And as Hammers says, the sabres are not even accurate. Which obviously makes these figures distinctively Swedish...  ::)

I'm not a fan of Warlord's tactic of putting the same product in boxes with different pictures on the front / paperwork inside, and calling them a different product. The unworldly could be easily taken in by such chicanery.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
Could you translate the battle cry please? Sounded a bit like someone clearing their throat when I attempted to say it aloud. Maybe the threat of a case of galloping consumption was the real ace, Gustavus had up his sleeve.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:12:15 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »
Could you translate the battle cry please? Sounded a bit like someone clearing their throat when I attempted to say it aloud. May the threat of a case of galloping consumption was the real ace, Gustavus had up his sleeve.

"We're going to dance a polka on your graves!"

Well, possibly not. The Muppets taught me the only Swedish I know.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 03:49:50 AM »
... the eastern half of the Kingdom.
Poor Finns, they got lumbered with the neighbours from hell ;)

A Swede once told me that, in the pre-neutrality days, they'd always fight to the last Finn.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:22:39 AM »
Could you translate the battle cry please? Sounded a bit like someone clearing their throat when I attempted to say it aloud. Maybe the threat of a case of galloping consumption was the real ace, Gustavus had up his sleeve.

Google says:

hakkaa päälle, Pohjan poika!
an old Finnish war cry, "Hit them, son of the North".  The elite cavalry units of Finns (when Finland was still part of Sweden) got their name hakkapeliitta from this war cry, since the Swedes couldn't pronounce it correctly.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »
The traditional Finnish war-cry actually translates as "40 easy right into hairpin left handbrake opens 50 kay right line"  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 01:48:59 PM »
The traditional Finnish war-cry actually translates as "40 easy right into hairpin left handbrake opens 50 kay right line"  :)

That is exactly was it means. Dont let Wikip tell you differently.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »

lol lol

No niin!

'Pää' means head but the 'lle' is a local case that makes into the preposition 'upon' or 'onto'. 'Hakkaa' is an imperative form of the verb 'hakata' - to hew, hack, chop, clobber etc. However a literal translation of 'beat them' misses some in straight translation as it used in terms of cutting holes in ice, cutting down trees or (most pertinently) tenderising meat.

So 'butcher them' carries more of the flavour.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
Sounded a bit like someone clearing their throat when I attempted to say it aloud.

You're doing it wrong then. Dutch is the official throat-clearing language of Europe. The Nordic languages are completely another matter and all different.

• Danish is the hobbit language. To speak it, you must stuff an entire meal (6+ courses) into your mouth. For obvious reasons, actual communication must be done by hand-waving. No spoken "word" bears any information whatsoever.
  • Norwegian is the orc language. It's mostly used for black metal lyrics and little else. However, for that purpose it's perfect.
  • Swedish is the orc language with bits of French, Double Dutch and Gibberish mixed in. That's why it's used in Muppets, Monty Python, furniture assembly instructions and other comical purposes, which are not even meant to make any sense. Several diacritics are included for visual hilarity.
  • Icelandic is the authentic Viking language, living in its very own millennium somewhere between Old English and original Gnomish. It cannot be spoken properly without wearing a helmet. (One with horns, of course.)
  • Finnish is proto-Quenya, just older and more complicated than that. It might be good for power metal, but that is mostly sung in English. Finnish is kept as a secret code, which is quite easy because it takes about 200 years for a foreigner to learn the basics. No relation whatsoever to any of the neighbouring languages. Or human languages as a whole, for that matter.

Now you know the difference. Please remember it to avoid embarrassment.

Plynkes' translation is correct.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
You're doing it wrong then. Dutch is the official throat-clearing language of Europe. The Nordic languages are completely another matter and all different.

• Danish is the hobbit language. To speak it, you must stuff an entire meal (6+ courses) into your mouth. For obvious reasons, actual communication must be done by hand-waving. No spoken "word" bears any information whatsoever.
  • Norwegian is the orc language. It's mostly used for black metal lyrics and little else. However, for that purpose it's perfect.
  • Swedish is the orc language with bits of French, Double Dutch and Gibberish mixed in. That's why it's used in Muppets, Monty Python, furniture assembly instructions and other comical purposes, which are not even meant to make any sense. Several diacritics are included for visual hilarity.
  • Icelandic is the authentic Viking language, living in its very own millennium somewhere between Old English and original Gnomish. It cannot be spoken properly without wearing a helmet. (One with horns, of course.)
  • Finnish is proto-Quenya, just older and more complicated than that. It might be good for power metal, but that is mostly sung in English. Finnish is kept as a secret code, which is quite easy because it takes about 200 years for a foreigner to learn the basics. No relation whatsoever to any of the neighbouring languages. Or human languages as a whole, for that matter.

HA HA HA! Brilliant!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:11:58 PM by General Roos »
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »
it takes about 200 years for a foreigner to learn the basics. No relation whatsoever to any of the neighbouring languages. Or human languages as a whole, for that matter.

Now someone tells me - I just thought I was stupid  lol lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 07:07:18 PM »

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I'd like to stress that I, Hammers, am a great admire of the Finnish tongue, especially when it comes to swearing. There is an artistry in it that goes just beyond my capacity to describe. As I hope dolmot will expand upon there is an expression that springs to my mind which goes something like "a spring of twats after a a winter of cocks". Presumably that is something which added as an after another Finns lengthy, contemplating monologue upon any subject.

I may be a bit fuzzy on the exact translation, but that's supposed to be the essence of it.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
Many thanks Dolmot, best laugh I've had all week.  lol lol lol

The country that brought us Leningrad Cowboys Go America.

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »
"a spring of twats after a a winter of cocks".

:D I haven't heard this English translation! That sums it quite well. I'm a Finn and know the original phrase but don't want to write it here!There are children also here :P