Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:31:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

60 Pathans (War Eagle) vs. Woodland Indians (Captain Blood)

60 Pathans (War Eagle)
16 (21.3%)
Woodland Indians (Captain Blood)
59 (78.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: September 23, 2007, 02:19:48 PM

Author Topic: Round 2 - 60 Pathans vs. Woodland Indians  (Read 8086 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 2 - 60 Pathans vs. Woodland Indians
« on: September 23, 2007, 02:19:48 PM »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 08:20:01 AM »
Tought choice.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:06:22 AM »
These choices are getting harder and harder. Great fun though. Glad I didnt enter too :cry:  wouldnt have stood a chance

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »
I'd be interested to see what you do Lowtar.

I entered this round but I do not aspire to win any thing. I see it as an oportunity to show some of what I do. All entries so far are inspired and inspirational in some way or another.

As we've said before: you can't really pitch photographs with such a variety in themes, photo quality and scenery  and expect it to be competition about painting skills alone.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:46:56 AM »
I voted for the Woodland Indians mostly because the photo of the Pathans doesn't really do them justice (not that I'm saying the Indians aren't good, I'm not saying that at all). You just can't see them well enough to appraise how much you like the painting.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:59:37 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
I'd be interested to see what you do Lowtar.

I entered this round but I do not aspire to win any thing. I see it as an oportunity to show some of what I do. All entries so far are inspired and inspirational in some way or another.

As we've said before: you can't really pitch photographs with such a variety in themes, photo quality and scenery  and expect it to be competition about painting skills alone.

OK I will give it a bash but no laughing  :wink:  It is my phtography that lets me down as well as my mediocre painting :cry:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:02:26 AM »
I have exactly the same problem. I do not have the apropriate tools right now so the pics turn up a bit grainy.

As you can see on the current status on my contribution (Ladies of the Asylum) people do not seem to mind so much.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
I voted for the Woodland Indians mostly because the photo of the Pathans doesn't really do them justice (not that I'm saying the Indians aren't good, I'm not saying that at all).

SO YOU DON'T LIKE MY WOODLAND INDIANS, PLYNKES???!!!  :wink:

I completely agree with you. To some extent, this is inevitably about photography as well as painting. I'm not that good at getting really crisp pics - they always seem to come out slightly fuzzy. But when you look at the real pros, their images are clear as anything and seem to accentuate and bring to life the paint job.

Once this has been running through a few rounds, I'm going to be interested to see what trends emerge in terms of which images people respond to the best - for instance, showing the figures in some kind of setting is my preference, but I suspect that shooting figures against a blank backdrop shows off the paintjob better. Ditto numbers - will we see 5 model teams sweeping all before them, or is there room for larger units - if you can get them all in the photo? We shall see... All good fun  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 10:25:16 AM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
I completely agree with you. To some extent, this is inevitably about photography as well as painting. I'm not that good at getting really crisp pics - they always seem to come out slightly fuzzy. But when you look at the real pros, their images are clear as anything and seem to accentuate and bring to life the paint job.

True. Ther is one thing about "crisp" photos: they may bring out or even exagerate imperfections in the paintjob. They can for example make contrast between painted hilites and shadows sharper. This is, as I understand it, dealt with with proper lighting. So you see why this whole miniature photography business is a complete dimension of The Hobby by itself.

Orctrade provided a easy, uncomplicated and therefore by me much sought after Step-By-Step How-To in this link:

http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=2553

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:52:55 AM »
Due to the better pic and the deep contrast I vote for the redskins

Offline War Eagle

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 02:23:09 PM »
This is my first post after stumbliing across this site a few months ago.  I absolutely love the models shown off here and figured this would be a fun competition.  The paint jobs are fantastic.  Not many players of these genres in the Western US.

To clarify, the pathans don't have eyeballs!!!  I hardly ever paint the eyes for so many troops in our games.  Too tedious!!!  You may want to take that into account for your vote.  After seeing how the big picture of the Pathans worked out, I'll finish 5 Pathans on ponies or maybe some Apaches and submit them next week.  This time I'll paint the eyes :o

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 02:29:05 PM »
They certainly make an impression on the tabletop en masse, eyeballs or no eyeballs. Would be cool to see them close-up, too.

I wouldn't want them sweeping towards me, with the regiment blind with dust and smoke, the Gatling jammed and the colonel dead.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 02:31:54 PM »
.....and Gungha Dinn unable to play the bugle due to a colesaw

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »
Quote from: "War Eagle"
This is my first post after stumbliing across this site a few months ago.  I absolutely love the models shown off here and figured this would be a fun competition.  The paint jobs are fantastic.  Not many players of these genres in the Western US.

To clarify, the pathans don't have eyeballs!!!  I hardly ever paint the eyes for so many troops in our games.  Too tedious!!!  You may want to take that into account for your vote.  After seeing how the big picture of the Pathans worked out, I'll finish 5 Pathans on ponies or maybe some Apaches and submit them next week.  This time I'll paint the eyes :o

I avoid painting eyes too as my figures all tend to look like Marty Feldman after I have finished :o

Offline War Eagle

• Schoolboy
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 02:43:42 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
They certainly make an impression on the tabletop en masse, eyeballs or no eyeballs. Would be cool to see them close-up, too.

I wouldn't want them sweeping towards me, with the regiment blind with dust and smoke, the Gatling jammed and the colonel dead.

That is exactly what happened this past Friday except the Gatliing ran out of ammo!