Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Last nights intro game  (Read 2483 times)

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
Last nights intro game
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:22:48 PM »
Our club meets on a weds and last night i persuaded a new guy, Dave, to try the game out.

I made up a new 3 person threshhold squad using my newly painted agents Colonel mustard with double barrelled shotgun command and dex decrease, Miss scarlet with double barrelled shotgun and lucky and professor plum .45 handgun and heroic, a respectable 15 point squad.

we rolled for scenario and got 'Monster Attack! '  so Dave had a one monster squad, with no prompting from me he went for a 'formless thing'. I already knew it was going to be bad for me.....
(I only had my phone with me, so the pictures are quite poor and the lightings not the best)

The agents advance cautiously towards the darkly moving shape in the graveyard

Miss Scarlet bravely advances upon the horror and lets loose a blast from her shotgun, but the pellets seem to sink in its flesh without a trace. Unfortunately for Scarlet, she had advanced within range of the formless things pseudopods and one struck her, dragging her resisting form towards its many mouths. It was all too much and her mind snapped. Her catatonic form was easily despatched by the foul horror.
Luckily her teammates could not make out exactly what had happened in the gloom and were spared any sanity damaging effects.

Over the next couple of turns both Mustard and Plum advanced forward, firing determinedly. Only one round of firing did them any good as with one massive fusillade, Colonel mustard managed to severely wound the formless thing, depriving it of 2 wounds and forcing it backwards slightly under the hail of fire. However the horror recovered and oozed forward into close combat with Colonel Mustard.

With fairly predictable results! The old military man passed the resolve test easily to face down what fate had in store for him. Sadly, this was a pretty gory and quick death!

Professor Plum didn't get a tenured professorship without recognising when it was time to quit, failing his resolve roll, he decides that living to fight another day would be the best option and takes to his heels.

Leaving the formless thing to skulk back into the graveyard it calls home in a decidedly smug fashion.

The whole game took less than an hour, including explaining the basics of the rules and what the weapons,skills etc were.

Post game we discovered that Colonel Mustard had only been lightly injured and recovered in time for the next game, and miss Scarlet would have died had she not been lucky and now hates all Formless spawn with a vengeance!

Hopefully David will return for more agent slaying in the future.

regards

jim
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:51:05 PM by fairoaks024 »
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Last nights intro game
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »
Ouch! But a good way to introduce a player to the game :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:05:21 PM »
Nice report. My first play though involved Monster Fight! and a formless thing... with similar results :)

and miss Scarlet would have died had she not been lucky and now hates all Formless spawn with a vengeance!
Send her back armed with a couple of meat cleavers... could be interesting  ;D

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:56:38 PM »
Great report!  That formless thing provides many action packed introductions to Strange Aeons and is always a crowd favourite.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Indeed, our first game had the same things and the same result. We should create a society.
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline generalsquinty

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
Jim you need to report on the other three intro games played the following week and how Miss scarlet failed to survive any of the games. Must say that Strange Aeons is a quick and easy game to play, just wish I could find a place in London where I can purchase the original rule book from, only strange Aeons 2 seems to be available over the counter.
I also suggest you show some pictures of the rebased and repainted clix figures.

Seeing how one of the rolled for results for the investigators being taken out of the game is crippled, I wondered if purhaps there should be a wheelchair bound investigator figure that gets pushed around by another member of the party. As the person in a wheel chair has their legs covered with a blanket with only the edge of their shoes showing their could be inter-changeable torsos for the different investigators.

Looking forward to another game next week. Paul

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 03:47:06 AM »
Why I can't see the pictures? WHY?!?!?!?!  :'(
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)