Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons FAQ  (Read 128985 times)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Strange Aeons FAQ
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Here is some general rules question:

P.14 Terrain, do players need to discuss what terrain you can climb up or can you just assume that? Example, I have a 4"tall (to the next floor) ruined building or perhaps a hill with a facing on that side. I can just assume they can climb up it using handholds? I would assume unless you say something is impassable it can be climbed?

Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
We normally sort out what is impassible, what suffers a -MOV penalty, what grants saves, etc. before the game starts.  On the fly agreements for cover or impassible ground should be agreed upon by both players; and they might not even be the same for both players. For example, one model gets a 6+ cover save against shooting due to cover in the line of sight (a tree or something similar) but his opponent gets a 5+ due to his better positioning in terms of the cover of the tree.

I normally don't assume ground is impassible, just in case you are treating it as impassible ground then your opponent decides to "cliff-jump" with no penalty right into CC with your Character model. lol  A 4" cliff, on the other hand, is a fairly universal sign of impassible ground.  ::)  Handrails would have to be agreed by both players.

I'd suggest talking it out first, as is the tradition of gentlemen gamers the world over.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
P19 on Morbid Adventures: Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. What should be the recommended size for a thicket? A base size used for a model? Something larger? It mentions it blocks LOS but does not say how large, so size to blocking LOS could be important.

p28 Trophy Hunt: When it says Re-equip at any time. I am not sure how this works.Can I:
1) in the middle of the game I can swap gear and re-equip my team?
2) just after the Scenario is rolled or picked, then the trophy is used to re-equip before playing that scenario? (i assume this is the intent of the rule)

If it is #2, I would suggest changing the wording in the next reprint/edits from the last line to something like: "Trophies may be 'traded in' prior to playing a scenario after the Re-equipment phase when the scenario is rolled/chosen."

Also in Shocking Tales 2, what did you use as Dinosaurs for you games Uncle Mike? I was thinking of buying some cheap Dollar Store or Toy'R'US figures to save a few bucks on buying model kits I may not use more than a few times.

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2012, 05:09:21 AM »
Morbid Adventures- looks like the searching for map pieces function has changed a bit. For example in The Bag Man and Escape into Danger map pieces are now found on a 5-6 roll, while map pieces aren't mentioned at all in Monster Attack and Retrieve the Artifacts. Does the Treasure Hunting Phase rule on p57 of the main rulebook still apply even though it isn't mentioned in the scenarios? The success number for map piece searching is still '6' unless specifically stated in the scenario?
Mike D

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2012, 05:20:09 AM »
There's no absolute specification on the size of thickets - anything you and your opponent agree on is fine, though I'd probably stay within the range of a 40mm base minimum, CD-sized maximum.

Trophies can only be used during the post-game Re-equip Phase.

Map Pieces may be searched for after winning ANY scenario, Basic or Quest, and are found on a roll of 6 unless otherwise specified by the scenario.  Quest scenarios, however, generally offer an alternative Treasure option, which the winning player will typically want to exercise in lieu of searching for Map Pieces.

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »
Hello,

I have few more questions that turned up while playing.

Amnesia, as per FAQ, lets character keep the skill, but he cant use it. Does this mean I can't relearn the skill (take the same skill again), or I can do that and actually have same skill picked two times.

And regarding frenzy. If it is lurker's turn and zombie charges a player that failes resolve check and beomes frenzy...how do they fight?

We were playing that:
game stops (:P)
frenzy model charges with double attacks
if draw, zombie continues charge that has caused hideous test, but frenzied model has normal attacks
and so on, normal.

What if player would charge zombie and get frenzied, does frenzy count as current action boost or another action?

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 08:28:18 AM »
Could anyone please clarify the question above?

And I would like to ask...what counts as "one turn" in the game? Treshold and lurker models act in "turns" as one by one. But a game turn is probably when each of them has their own "turn"? So, when you can search treasure on turn 3, that is when Treshold activates for the third time? Or could it be second (if they started the game the turns would be treshold - lurkers - treshold) I guess the answer is obvious, but better safe than sorry! So, for the defensive mission, turn 13 is when both sides get 13 activations, I presume?

And for the graves mission, where the game ends if all the graves are removed from table, or models from one side...who wins if all graves are removed, lurkers?

Thanks for help!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »
I can answer a few bits of this at least.  Mike explained the Frenzy situation to me a while back, but I think I'd get it muddled if I tried to explain.  So, on to the easier stuff!

You can absolutely re-learn a Skill that was lost to Amnesia, but it will indeed take up an extra slot.

Turns are per player, so Threshold takes a turn, Lurkers take a turn, on and on.  Though we never actually use the terminology, I believe a Threshold + Lurker Turn (in whichever order) would be considered a "Round".

Desecration of all graves in Body Snatchers would be considered a Lurker win, as they've successfully spirited away all the remains from the graveyard.  Threshold's objective is to stop the grave robbers, and the rewards they can obtain from winning are not in fact grave contents, but arcane objects left around the graveyard by nefarious sorts.  Looking over the scenario again, we never actually made this clear outside of the opening fluff passage.

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »
Thanks for clarifications! So, when something happens this or that turn, its really good to have the 1st turn!
I can imagine how easily it is to forget to specifically note something in the rulebook as everything makes sense in someones head!

If you could post the frenzy for dummies once in a near future, that'd be very awesome, too!

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2012, 06:13:58 AM »
Question about fear and charging into hand to hand. Does a model that causes fear make the enemy roll a resolve test as soon as they are in range of the fear? Or does the fear causing model get to charge into hand to hand without the other model potentially running away by failing a resolve test thus never actually reaching them?

Regards,

Cuchulain23

Offline Black Cavalier

• Scientist
  • Pro Rege et Regnum
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
What is the result of giving a Crippled agent the Heroic skill?

Crippled (only 1 Action per turn)
Heroic (may take 3 Actions in 1 turn, once per game)

At 1st I thought Crippled would override Heroic, since Crippled says only 1 action per turn.

But then I realized that an uncrippled agent's actions aren't really different in that they have "only 1 or 2" actions per turn.

So if Heroic can enhance an uncrippled agent, why can't it enhance a crippled agent?

& if it can, the strictest reading of the Heroic skill means a crippled agent would go from 1 to 3 actions (since Heroic specifically states 3 actions).

But in the spirit of the rules, I think it could be argued that Heroic gives +1 action instead of a hard & fast 3 actions, so a cripple would get 2 actions.

What would your interpretation be?
Remember, remember, the Dalek December
With Paris in ruins and London in ember
In times of the future when fears are abating
Don’t try to forget them, the Daleks are waiting
Quietly planning and scheming and hating…

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 01:55:07 AM »
Just like it says, 'Three Actions, one Turn'...it's a good value for a crippled Agent.  :)

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2013, 07:23:08 AM »
I've got another question! :D

Yesterday I've finally shown a game to a buddy and we've played few games. There were several questions but I've forgot most of them, as we've just fixed it as we saw fit.

Oh, I've remembered one more now!

So, we play a game and one of his agents has been majorly injured by Cult leader - resulting in Hate! - now, hate rule in "basic rules" section says that a model hates certain kind of models, ie human, humanoid, beast... - but in injury table it hates "model" that made that injury. We've discussed it a bit and figure there is no sense for agent to hate all humans, but only cult leaders. And all of them, as there is always "other one" in lurker games. That was correct?

Secondly, one of his agents is suffering from teratophobia (I think...the one where all lurkers are hideous and cause fear). He was shooting at my formless thing outside 5" but inside 8". So I've launched a pseudopod at him and brought him to me. So, we figured he has to roll resolve check for fear and hideous. I believe that is correct. But...he has failed fear resolve check and ran away 5 inches. How is that solved? You still roll hideous? You don't even let him run away, as he's engaged in combat?

Thanks!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »
Just saw this...here goes: I agree with your interpretation of Hate. He will now Hate all Cult Leaders. The guy with Terataphobia isn't so lucky...he will fail his test and attempt to run away (a free wound for the Lurker player), assuming he isn't cut down he may be used as usual in the next Turn.

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
Thanks for help, but with the second guy, that is if he runs away from close combat, but that is how it was:

I had a formless thing 6" from that agent. So I grabbed him with a tentacle and pulled him into close combat. So, he had to roll for fear, as was now in 5". He failed and ran away. So, we could say he was not in base to base yet, as he has ran away when he had to roll for fear (while being dragged to base to base with a tentacle). If he isn't in base to base, he just runs away. And doesn't test for hideous as well. If he is base to base (so, formless thing drags him to its base, he rolls fear, fails, runs away, gets a wound) - does he has to test for hideous as well, as he was in base to base?

It is a so-so situation. Thinking about it now, I would say it gets dragged to base to base, tests FEAR as if in base to base (gets wounded if revulsion) - if he runs away, he doesn't test hideous this time, if he passes resolve check for fear, has to pass for hideous as well. The thing is, tentacle reaches further than fear, so it can produce a dodgy situation.