Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:53:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690598
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some More Sudan Tactica Nonsense  (Read 16193 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Some More Sudan Tactica Nonsense
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
I was privileged to play in a couple of games on Frank's amazing Sudan table at the weekend. We've all seen loads of photos already, but in case you've not had enough of them, here are some more. I teamed up with fellow LAFer Remington as the Brits, and some fellows he knew took the role of the Mahdists (there was a little trash-talking between them, which added to the fun). We were in the capable(?) hands of rule-writer and all-round main man Driscoles as GM.

The photos aren't brilliant, but I only had a little pocket travel camera. They'll do, considering.

Our task was to protect a hilltop heliograph station from attack by the angry locals. I kind of see it as like those protests you get these days when a mobile phone tower is going to be built near a school, or when they want a wind farm near some beauty spot. Damn NIMBYs! Don't they realise the heliograph station has to go somewhere, and it's for their own benefit?!!

To keep the NIMBYs out we had two units of Tommies, one of Jack Tars, and a Gatling gun. Driscoles kept calling it a Gardner gun, but it clearly isn't. I thought antagonising the GM by correcting him in public while the game was running was a very bad idea if I wanted to get any favourable rules interpretations (however, doing it on the LAF a few days later carries no risk at all  :P :)).  We formed a line on the hillside, one flank anchored on the river, another protected by a ravine. It seemed a strong position, as our deployment only gave the enemy one tactical option: charge headlong into our guns.

We also had some fire support from Admiral Benbow's rather wonderful steamer.

The Dervish attack began, and they soon started falling like ninepins to the disciplined VOLLEY FIRE! of the Brits' Martinis.

You have to have singing in a British colonial battle, especially if a Welshman is present...

The first wave were getting close, but their casualties were horrendous.

Not so many as there were a while ago. But at this point disaster struck. The Gatling jammed! Being a smart-arse who has read the rules I pointed out to Driscoles that as we had a full crew compliment I was entitled to a re-roll. My re-roll made things worse: The damn thing was now jammed, broken, out of ammo, kaputt, and possibly out of warranty too.

We tried contacting customer support via the heliograph, but all their operators were busy, and we were asked to wait while they flashed some Vivaldi at us.

It wouldn't be firing again for a while. Or, well, ever.

Bugger.

The actual singing on the day was provided by Björn's rendition of The British Grenadiers. It was pretty good, actually.

The first wave had been blown away, but they had shielded their comrades in the second wave from our fire with their bodies. They smashed against the left-hand end of our line with most of their strength intact.

The British unit fought valiantly, but was drowned in the Dervish tide. Captain Remington Darcy fought on alone, and showed us how an Englishman can die. The character-building hours spent on the Cricket fields of England had not been wasted. He did not shame his kind.

A gaping hole had been smashed in our line, and the Dervishes poured through it.

Next the silent Gatling was overwhelmed. There was no way to stop them taking the heliograph and smashing it to bits now. The day was lost. A great disaster in the grand British colonial tradition. Excellent fun, and as I said already, a privilege to play on such a smashing table with a bunch of cool guys.

Got one more game to show, I'll post some pics a bit later...
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: Some More Sudan Tactica Nonsense
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »
Brilliant, just posted on Driscoles thread too, I am very envious, though not of the outcome for you.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
Wow, what a well-presented game! Nice AAR, too. lol

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:34:12 PM »
That looks like a lot of fun! Very jealous of you guys! Great report too.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »
Great stuff.  ;D :-* Wish I had been there :'(
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »
Lovely stuff!  :-*  Likewise, I don't envy you the result! Very nice to see the esteemed Admiral's gunboat in action too!
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
Lovely. Lovely, lovely,lovely. The board is beautiful to start with but noone puts the garnish on top like Dylan.

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »
I REALLY admire the paint on the Fuzzies.  Spectacularly good. 

Nice game report, and the photos were good enough that I felt I was watching a video !

Chick
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 06:53:15 PM »
Great board and figures. The game looked great fun from the AAR!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »
Awesome, and inspiring.  I look forward to taking the time to read through all the reports in detail.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
Oh, we did not shame Queen or Country (too much) and died valiantly indeed! :) Mr. Darsy was a bit of a pansy, but he fought three times longer than expected, taking some of the savages (or "The good guys" as Plynkes called them :D) with him. Sadly, the enemy tide proved to be unstoppable.

Stunningly funny AAR, Plynkes. It reflects the nature of that game completely. The trash talk was indeed quite fun, although mainly in German (and partly expressed mainly in WWI propaganda mottoes by our adversary Jörg! :P The knowledge his brain collects is indeed curious! :) ), and is the natural way we game here in Darmstadt, albeit on a smaller field. :) It was an amazing pleasure to play on such a stunning table with all the great people around it!

VOOOOOLLEY FIIIIREEE! (Which silly me decided to scream across the room while the table was being filmed by an online magazine! D'oh!)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »
 :-*

Well there was no doubt from the buildup that this board was going to see some great gaming.

Glad you guys had a great time and I DO wish I had been there.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »
I really enjoy an AAR by Plynkes! Both  lol and  8) and  :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »
Nice nonsense!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline zuluwar

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 09:39:50 PM »
great great great great painting  :-* :-* :-*

specialy the fuzzy wuzzy

gerard
haut les têtes messieurs la mitraille n'est pas de la merde !!!!

bataille du eylau (colonel lepic)