Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:43:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690494
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Can anyone explain what the colors of Roman shields mean?  (Read 8676 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Can anyone explain what the colors of Roman shields mean?
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:17:17 AM »
Can anyone explain what the colors of Roman shields mean?

When were they red, black, blue, green?

What did the color mean?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Can anyone explain what the colors of Roman shields mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »
As far as I know there is little evidence to say what colour or designs were on Roman shields until the late Empire (and that is apparently questionable) ... or even what colour(s) the uniform tunic was. For what must be the most researched army of all time (Napoleonic French coming a distant second) there is surprisingly little known about their appearance. 

I would imagine that individual units (Legion or perhaps even Cohorts) would have a single colour and design as the shield was factory produced (most Legions having their own local factories which used standard patterns). As far as designs go, they appear to be based on Eagles (wings or the whole bird) and Thunderbolts from what little evidence remains. For all we know though such designs may have been only used for parades or guard units, the rest may have been just plain.

Then as now though, the administration was constantly looking to save money, so go with whatever is the cheaper option.  :) 

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:25 PM »
As far as I know there is little evidence to say what colour or designs were on Roman shields until the late Empire (and that is apparently questionable) ... or even what colour(s) the uniform tunic was. For what must be the most researched army of all time (Napoleonic French coming a distant second) there is surprisingly little known about their appearance.  

I would imagine that individual units (Legion or perhaps even Cohorts) would have a single colour and design as the shield was factory produced (most Legions having their own local factories which used standard patterns). As far as designs go, they appear to be based on Eagles (wings or the whole bird) and Thunderbolts from what little evidence remains. For all we know though such designs may have been only used for parades or guard units, the rest may have been just plain.

Then as now though, the administration was constantly looking to save money, so go with whatever is the cheaper option.  :)  

Yep, what Jim said. For all the confidence 'we' put into how we see the Roman Imperial Army in modern times, we actually have quite scant evidence or proof.

Darrell.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:53:10 PM »
so sad to hear this... another cheat revealed to me... sob.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »
I know the feeling, it is almost like all of the things I thought I knew have been steadily destroyed over the past ten years or so.  :(

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:06:24 PM »
If the Roman Army operated like the British army the colour means that is what the Quartermaster had in stores the day the shields needed painting.

ok, my nexy roman army will be coloured with Scorpion Green, a half dry bottle of white primer and... tin biz.
lol lol

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:14:28 PM »
Here's a question, who 'chose' the the red we all know and love? Was it the Victorians?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:54:04 PM »
bezzo, you read in my mind. i was thinking the same thing!!!

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:17 PM »
Here's a question, who 'chose' the the red we all know and love? Was it the Victorians?

cheers

James
A piece of cloth and/or shield was discovered in the UK somewhere (Hadrian's wall area?) and it was red.  It was also believed to be auxillaries, not regulars, though.

That's all I know.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:02:19 AM »
that's all clear now.

coca cola has hidden a lot of old santa claus red dresses all over the adrian wall.

and waited. patiently.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:36 AM »
The chief contenders do seem to be red and an off-white colour, although green and a pale blue are also contenders according to wall paintings etc. The red was likely to come from Madder Dye, so should not be confused with the bright reds often seen on wargame figures. This would give a colour range between almost purple and pale pink depending on the concentration used and the amount of wear and washing.

It's possible that there was an 'issue' garment, perhaps off-white, but that individual commanders paid out of their own pocket for their men's tunics and shields to be dyed another colour, in much the same way as later 16th/17th century Colonels provided their men's uniforms. That's just conjecture on my part though.

I'd go for whatever you like though, it's not like anyone can really put a convincing argument forward against it.

It's true about Santa's red suit too... one of the greater advertising coups ever.  ;)

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
regarding the red, I've read it somewhere that this was found in a wall painting, that had a picture of some military guys handing red tunics to people who in turn gave them white tunics, latter the mural was more investigated and they found that it was not representing a draft scene but actually the soldiers were disbanding
Also Goscinny told us that their uniforms were blue! :D

Regarding the shields I've also read that during the civil wars (between Cila and Mario), the units had representing drawings on their shields, that enabled them to identify units

but mostly I think that the overall look and feel of todays ancient armies is for Mr Angus MacBride to be blamed! :)

Cheers,
Pedro

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 12:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaps (apart from the Santa ones  ;D )

cheers

James

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
Interesting subject, I guess the whole red business is largely another hollywood thing.

As for whether the Victorians said they wore red similar to British troops of many periods in British Military, I highly doubt it. Of all the armies in Europe I'd say Britain was one of the few that -didn't- attempt to copy the Romanesque character throughout its history. Whereas if you look at Napoleon or the Wehrmacht(spelling?) or the Italins during WW2, they made many attempts to copy the sort of Eagle banners, Roman styled stuff.

I actually think that Hollywood decided to get into its head, since the Romans had an impressive Empire, similar to the British later on, they decided to make Roman uniforms red in comparison to British Red, with only some scant evidence of that colour being used by Roman units.

It would certainly explain why in all these films based around Romans they always have Modern British accents!!

However my view of it is this, though I only have limited knowledge of Rome, when soldiers are on campaign they tend to wear whatever they have around them. When I painted my Imperial Romans I always did the majority of cloth colour in white rather than red.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »
Also Goscinny told us that their uniforms were blue! :D

i didn't think about it. you are right, they were blue and green!!!