Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:18:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690802
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black scorpion has new greens up  (Read 3025 times)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Black scorpion has new greens up
« on: September 26, 2007, 06:15:46 AM »
Black scorpion has new greens posted for some new Royal navy figures due out in October. http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/workbench.asp  I have all the Wild West figures and the 1st set of pirates.  They are 32mm and fit Ok with some of the figures on the market but are kind of big compared to others.  Check out Prof Witch hunters comparison pictures in his old west section.
 The sculpts are really, really nice and paint up great.   I absolutely love this range of figures and the new Royal Navy looks great.  Now even though I love the figures they due have some trouble, a good deal of the pirates have seen better day, lots of missing body parts eye, hands, legs, yikes!  I think it’s a bit overkill(pardon the expression).
  There is a weird problem with Diamond Joe ,it’s a great figure but the rifle sling goes through a hold in the back of his coat so that you could never use the gun without the cat getting tangled up, you’d have to see it to see what I mean ( I know nitpicker). I am also not sold on some of the poses, I wish the RN captain was better posed (its kind of a cliché pose) and #4 just looks a bit odd.  I am still going to buy them 
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:36:05 AM »
They look a bit like "Pirates of the Caribbean" marines, rather than historical ones [though I'm no expert!], but if you're chasing undead pirates and dodging Davy Jones' crew, that's not a problem. The Pirates are very good though and I'm hoping they will fit in with the Foundry & OGs I have already. Maybe a bit tall, but I like varying sizes in thes sort of games.

After all, with the imminent arrival of LOTHS, we all need more pirates, so I'm scouring the internet for new recruits!

I've just bought the Worldworks cardstock pirate ship, so will be able to make up a variety of ships for a good seafight.......... once I've painted all the pirates.... and RN  :(

Cheers,
Ian

Offline TJSKI

• Librarian
    • http://cursedtreasures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:38:57 PM »
Well it's nice to see Black Scorpion getting some new figures & I was pleased to see them start sculpting some Royal Navy figures. I contacted them about 6 months ago about LotHS and was wondering if they were going to do more with the line.

I like them and I will be getting them for my own Crews to hunt down pesky Pirates.

TJSKI
"Leutant Kulinski, a rather inept commander"

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 09:37:35 PM »
They look nice at first glance. Knee breeches are fine as alternative to slop trousers, but then I looked at their feet ....

Why did the designer chose to sculpt them wearing boots? Buckled shoes or bare feet would both have been correct, but boots are definately wrong.

Also a couple of minor authenticity observations - ammunition would almost certainly have been carried in a 'belly box' on a waist belt and I would also rework the cuffs.

IMO the figures that Black Cat produced are a more accurate interpretation (but I am biased since I provided naval clothing information for them....)
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »
Just being picky, but I'm not entirely convinced of the hats either.
I can't quite put a finger on it, they just dont look quite "right".

Also, is it just me or do the muskets look too short ?
And if they are marines why does one have a sword and pistol ?
Or for that matter a sword and musket ? Not at all sure about the standing with a musket and waving a sword pose either. I'm assuming he doesn't have a scabbard for that sword.
Again just being picky, but do they have bayonets on the crossbelt ?

It's hard to judge from the greens, but are they wearing boots or knee length gaiters with buttons?

Are they going to release some sailors too, or just marines ?

But I'm just fussy, they are infinitely better than I could sculpt, probably better figures than I can paint for that matter.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline bondsman

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »
well they are trying something different anyway. i have the first two releases of pirates and they are cool figures tho' way too tall for 28s and a little "stiff" in some cases. But detail and character is first class. Only complaint is that 3 look like fancy dress pirates - too many skull+X-bones / amputations. All very pantomime. But the crew figures - excellent.