Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:45:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Middle Eastern town  (Read 4230 times)

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
A Middle Eastern town
« on: September 28, 2007, 03:09:02 PM »
As I get the hang of this 'posting pictures' thing, let's try a few of a middle eastern town I made in July, prior to handing 'em over to a new owner at Historicon. The A ahped buildings in the lower pic with the awning roofs are market halls, rather than some sort of bathing hut or festival marquee! H

I do all my own stunts

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
A Middle Eastern town
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 05:08:04 AM »
Man those are nice, I just might have to copy them :wink:   Do the roofs all come off?

Justin

• Scientist
A Middle Eastern town
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 02:08:26 PM »
Yes, I make the roofs separately to sit on top of the building, with a low parapet on top made of strip balsa.

I went through a phase of having the roofs fit inside the walls, resting on a support. This was actually close to how the real things are built, and looks very good. Unfortunately, once the buildings are painted it was very hard to get the roof inserts out again, except if they were so loose to begin with that it was very obvious.

The buildings are all foamcore, pinned with ordinary dressmakers' pins as well as using white glue. the pins hold the walls 'square', and strengthen the joins.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
A Middle Eastern town
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 02:19:33 PM »
I do like the effect the stripey awnings give. They help give a bit of extra colour & different texture to the village.

I might have a go at this when I do some more Darkest Africa Arab buildings. It's not a strictly historical setting so it doesn't matter if the Arabs didn't use those awnings in Africa  :)

Cheers,
Ian

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
A Middle Eastern town
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 04:40:28 PM »
Great stuff, that village reminds me of a PS2 Game where you have a squad in Iraq, Desert Storm of Conflict err....... anyway great stuff :D

• Scientist
A Middle Eastern town
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 09:37:04 PM »
The awnings (which I think can be justified anywhere, on the grounds that they add colour and swishiness) are paper, cut from scrapbooking supplies from one of the chain craft stores; it's one of those 'women's hobbies' that men don't necessarily come into contact with, like needlepoint, rubberstamping and cross-stitch. My wife does this stuff, and is ridiculously gifted.

Anyway, I bought small sheets of paper in various designs - mostly stripes - that looked Arabish, for tiny amounts of money. H