Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690750
  • Total Topics: 118346
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules Advice-Kelly's Heros scenario?  (Read 3753 times)

Offline coggon

• Scientist
Rules Advice-Kelly's Heros scenario?
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:01:03 PM »
I am trying to put together a Kelly's Heros scenario in 28mm, and I want to do up "extra right" as it will be our annual Day after Thanksgiving Day Game. (I need to top last year's "Fatman Down" game in which Indiana Jones rescued Santa from Nazis, Communists, and the Grinch)

Any suggestions on what rules to use?  I am considering the following:

.45 Adventure, but I am worried about its ability to handle all the figures that I would like to put on the table

GASLIGHT-just because it handles lots of characters, and I like the vehicle rules.

Savage Worlds Showdown-because I played it for the first time two nights ago, and was intrigued with how it handled groups of 4-5 figures

Astounding Tales-I've got the free version, but never played it.  I like the "gamemaster vs. everybody else" mentaility as that seems like a good fit for  this particular scenario.  I don't have AT2!, but Howard has never steered me wrong on a book yet.

I've also considered AOF (too "straight WWII" for this scenario I think) and TW&T (I don't think the Germans would die quickly enough)

Any thoughts, suggestions, or pregenerated character sheets :mrgreen:
would be appreciated
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 05:31:57 PM »
.45 would work if you make your rank and file Mooks, there are rules on the Rattrap site for this

You could use AOF and adapt some of the things from .45 for fun etc quirks, skills etc

Offline Maenoferren

• Bookworm
    • Triple Ace Games
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »
We play Savage worlds - am playtesting the wierd war stuff at the minute.
The system works well for single figures or for larger groups. You have your wild cards and your extras. We played a game last week with 4 character wild cards with a squad of extras on one side taking on a horde of Germans and Zombies on the other
 MIght work for waht you are doing - unfortunately havent triedt the other systems so cant comment on them.
 :freak:

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »
I am sure 45 will work  :wink:
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 07:55:39 PM »
Grimm-I'm almost sure that .45 Adventure would work, but I'm not sure how it would handle 20-30 half grade Germans, and I'm not sure I would want to do the bookkeeping required to keep track of each pair of half grades. Don't get me wrong, .45 Adventure is our favorite game right now and has worked just fine.

I guess what I really want is for the heros to use .45 Adventure, and for the Germans to act like they are in GASLIGHT.  Does that make sense :lol: ?

Anybody out there have experience in running hordes and hordes of mooks in .45 Adventure?  I've never had more than 8 half grade models on the table at once.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
Grimm and I had this discussion over on The Speakeasy. Run your Grade 1/2 as one shot-one kill. If they're hit, then they are removed.

If you want to keep some of the feel of them as they are, you could also do it as they are hit, 1-5 dead, 6-10, Guts check. Run them as squads of whatever size you want. If more than half the squad has failed a GUTS check in one turn, then the whole squad flees.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 11:38:01 PM »
We have occasionally used "Panzerfauste" in the past.
Perhaps not to everyone's taste, they were intended as a fantasy set, a bit like the "Flintloque" Napoleonics rules, but are quite useable as historical skirmish rules.
They play quickly enough that we managed a couple of games with a half dozen players each running 10-12 figures in one night, and some of the players were new to figure gaming.

http://www.blease.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/WG.panzerfauste.html
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 03:54:23 AM »
It has been too long since I saw this movie.  I remember a bridge scene.  I remember some of the final fight in the town, particularly stuff involving tanks. Maybe if there was a sort of campaign map then a GM could regulate movement and encounters.  Then encounters could play out using .45 Adv. on small sections of the town, with no more than 10 to 12 Germans in any one encounter.  You could have several encounter boards made up in advance, or have some quickly tranformable terrain.  A member of our game club did something similar for the 1940 invasion of Belgium and France.  We moved our forces on a campaign map and quickly set up and resolved small pieces of the action on simple terrain with small forces.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »
I'd use Astounding Tales!, as you'd expect.  :)

Not only would the Germans run around like imbeciles (because one or more Directors would deliberately make them do that!), but the rules for Interrupts ('as the guard walks by I hit him with a candlestick, even though it's not my turn') and the Cut! rule ('I shall not run down the stairs, because we've just seen me get shot, but instead leap for the chandelier') will do well for the subject.

AT's vehicle rules are oriented towards gangster cars (also planes and airships) rather than WWII vehicles, but that won't be a real obstacle.

The other thing about AT is that, frankly, new players won't have difficulty with the rules, because I son't ask them to really learn any!   :lol:  H
I do all my own stunts