Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:35:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689226
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 526
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Greetings from Down Under!  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
Greetings from Down Under!
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:47:05 AM »
Hi all!

I found this forum a few months ago while trying to rediscover the Professor's old witchhunter site (love that barbarian army!). I was amazed that there was such a mature and helpful forum dedicated to what I consider the best parts of the wargaming hobby. Within days I fell in love with this place and its fast become my favourite forum.
I decided I had better stop being a bystander and actually participate, so here I am.

I'm from Australia, living in the outback and as you would expct there are few-to-no wargamers of any sort. In fact 'few' wargamers is being optomistic. So far there's just me. And the Emus. Lots of Emus. Watching them from a distance is what I imagine herds of dinosaurs to look and move like; they are big birds.
Out here we only get mail once a week and you have to drive an hour to find a McDonalds. Its drought all year round, and if it does rain it floods, cutting you off from civilisation for weeks or even months at a time.

Heres my workspace. Three tables of junk, toy cars, giant plastic insects, paints, spare hands, heads and a fine smattering of sand and pebbles. All those miniatures and I haven't yet finished a single one! I've gotten close but I've only started trying my hand at basing a few days ago.
At the moment I'm currently working on a group of Eureka's boilersuit apes, some megaminis ratmen and an ever expanding number of zombies! Fortunately my wife has a hobby nearly as expensive and cluttered as mine (scrapbooking), so she can't get too mad at the encroaching hordes of the undead slowly taking over the lounge room. She as she not only tolerates my hobby but participates as well, playing matches against me (only out of pity, though. She knows there isn't anyone else around here who would do it).

While I focus on Post Apocalyptic miniatures, fuelled by a high school fling with Necromunda cut tragically short, I also have an interest in zombie apocalypse, the "Song of..." series by Ganesha games, Old West skirmish, Weird War, Superheroes (repainted clix used as original characters) and Pulp gaming. You can see why this place appeals to me so much!

I've only been painting for two years and I really like the foundry layering style of painting. I hope to be able to share some of my work with you soon.
Regards,
            Adam

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Greetings from Down Under!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:12:06 AM »
G'day Adam,

I reckon I could do with flocks (?) of emus if it meant being an hour away from a McDonalds! In Western Sydney I can't drive further than 5 minutes without seeing the golden arches.

Where abouts do you live? You know, even though you live in the outback you probably still get in more gaming than I do!

I'll be looking forward to seeing some posts!

Christian

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:42:39 AM »
Hello Adam,
 there are a fair few of us Antipodeans on the LAF ;) Glad you could join us :)

Regards

Guy
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:34:59 AM »
Ah g'day Adam.

From the Dorothea McKellar droughts and flooding rains references I take it you're in the north? Or Victoria. Or Western Australia. Bugger it, you could be anywhere in Australia at the moment and sound like a high school poem.

Welcome to LAF. There are a few of the antipodean persuasion here and it's certainly one of the best forums around.

Enjoy.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »
Hey Adam! That's a FINE looking workshop you've got going...just enough clutter to provide a proper atmosphere for a creative mind. SO...WELCOME ABOARD! May your stay be LONG & MERRY.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »
Good to see ya Adam

Out here we only get mail once a week and you have to drive an hour to find a McDonalds. Its drought all year round, and if it does rain it floods, cutting you off from civilization for weeks or even months at a time.

Ha, it's a three hour drive to get to our nearest McDonalds (Inverness) from here on Skye, but it rains all year round and the local crofters are reasonably civilized. Wargamers are very rare here though. Oh, and we have sheep instead of emus.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 01:15:18 PM »

Welcome to LAF 8)

There’s at least 4 McDonald’s in this city… but I haven’t found a single opponent for playing wargames either… ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »
Hi Adam, welcome along! the nearest McDonalds to me is five minutes away - inside a condemned mall.

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:37:45 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome all!

@ Christian I live near Wee Waa, in north west NSW. Out here its cotton fields, emus and more cotton fields, though the locals are fairly friendly.

@Bezzo, I don't know any Aussies that use 'cobber' unless its tongue-in-cheek. Its like the word thats so Aussie even Aussies don't use it, (did that make sense?).

Again, great to be here, I've already learned a lot in my short time here. I look forward to learning even more.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 06:59:53 AM »
Welcome aboard, Lawful Evil, this one's Chaotic Neutral to you. None's an offense to you, eh?

Heres my workspace. Three tables of junk, toy cars, giant plastic insects, paints, spare hands, heads and a fine smattering of sand and pebbles. All those miniatures and I haven't yet finished a single one! I've gotten close but I've only started trying my hand at basing a few days ago.

That's starting to sound like my setup and work habit. Good show. lol

Won't ponder where you requisitioned the spare extremities though.

The nearest Mickie-Dee's is almost two hours from I, but truth said I'm in a different sort of boonies over here. Lions (mountain), tigers (stray cats) and bears, oh my! I think a flock of emus would be more interesting than all the bloody deer and moose about over here any day.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
Cobber gets used a lot in Tasmania, I've heard...

... make of that what you will.

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »
 :) now that is a nice workbench,stay with it. :)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Cobber gets used a lot in Tasmania, I've heard...

... make of that what you will.

We do however use the expression 'stone the crows' alot,as in; 'that mini is really well painted,stone the crows'.

And Bako,do you have wolves near you?

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »
Blackwolf how about:

"Starve the lizards!" and "Bonza!"

Are these arachaic curiosities nowadays? I used to own a book called "Teach yourself Strine". I expect if I used it in Oz now it would be like someone coming to England and talking like a character from Shakespeare.

Never heard 'starve the lizards',may be an regional thing,fair dinkum tho' anything that's good is 'bonza'.

Actually I'm in a bit of danger of setting our cultural clock back to the 50s.....we do say hubris and circumspect alot;  As in 'mate,stone the crows you should have been a bit more circumspect,it's all hubris and schadenfruede anyway'

I'll shut up now..........

Offline digimortal

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »
What about Strewth or Crikey!!!!