Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:34:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689659
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cowboys & Aliens  (Read 7854 times)

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
Re: Cowboys & Aliens
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »
Just came across this movie this afternoon on Sy-Fi UK, High Plains Invaders.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1388432/

It wasn't that bad even if it does appear to be low budget TV rip-off by someone who read the comic.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
Well does anyone remember those old B-movies with Cow Boys Vs Dinosaurs?

Are you suggesting "Valley Of The Gwangi" is not an all-time classic piece of cinema?  :o >:(

lol

You're right though - it was shite! I just hope for once that all my high hopes are not going to be dashed. Think Indy IV, Van Helsing, The Wolfman etc etc  :'(

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 03:25:08 PM »
Are you suggesting "Valley Of The Gwangi" is not an all-time classic piece of cinema?

OMG i saw it when i was 9yo and I was shocked! cowboys & dinos!
I though was imposible to find a cooler movie (something really frequent when you are 9yo)

offtopic: last week I saw Rango, I had no idea was a kind of "weird western", not a great movie (the CG are awesome) but I had a good time.
Don't brign your kids with you, all the kids on the cinema where obviously bored.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 01:47:07 AM »
Well, who knows? Could it be worse than Wild Wild West?  It's probably no more realistic than an alien movie set today, or a few decades in the future.  With so many programs about aliens visiting earth in the distant past, something like this was bound to pop up eventually.

By the way, I don't mind the mix of the western genre with sci fi in the Firefly / Serenity series. But this Cowboys and Aliens thing looks a bit like a horror / thriller.  Maybe it will be a bit more spiffy than Dr. Who in the Wild Wild West.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 07:06:03 AM »
I am looking forward to it, then again I like westerns. 

This might create a whole new genre.  Instead of Steampunk we could have,.... Nukeposse.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »
Wild Wild West was one of the most god-awful fills ever made. I love Wll Smith, and all of his films, exsept that pile of donkey doo.

back on topic, Cowboys vs aliens- sounds stupid, and I saw the trailer at the pictures, and it provoked howls of unintended laughter from everyone. I would have to say it looks a bit naff, even with it's budget. I wont go an see it- perhaps I will watch it on Horror chanel late at night in a few years.

That said- I watched Outlander on DVD- that's got vikings vs aliens- and that was actually quite enjoyable.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »
Not sure how anyone thinks of cowboys vs aliens as a horror movie.  I didn't see a single zombie, vampire, chainsaw or teenage girl.  Aren't those the elements of a horror movie?  At least according to Elvira. 

The movie trailer has horses, sixguns and wood buildings, so it is a western.  Even "The good the bad and the wierd" met that defination.  Maybe a bad western, but not a horror movie.

Wild Wild West took a fun campy tv show and turned it in to a unbelievable steampunk farce.  The horror was sitting through it.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:01 AM »
to me the idea of a bunch of cowboys having an alien encounter sounds cool, but I dont know why when I look that trailer something looks crap.
Maybe the problem is Harrison Ford trying to be a badass Gene Hackman style?
Maybe is my subconscious sees  007 and Han solo dressed as cowboys?
I dont know whats wrong here, but usually IMHO a really cool trailer could hide a crap movie, but if the trailer looks bad is very unusual the films turns better.
I hope to be wrong, honestly
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:32:48 AM by Donpimpom »

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
does anyone remember the old-school Battlestar Galactica story when they went to a frontier town to refuel, and it was so obviously an old set from a cowboy movie. and there was a cylon there who was the sherif, having lost his memory in a crash landing. I remember thinking that was naff, even though I was about nine years old.

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »
IMO, its looks lame...
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
How could Indy/Han and James Bond dressed as cowboys battling aliens in the Wild West possibly fail?

Get the damn thing made in feckin' Hollywood, that's how  >:(

Looks like it will join a very long list of failed F/SF/Horror etc movies based on graphic novels.

At least we've got Hellboy 1 & 2.

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 02:36:31 AM »
I just saw Cowboys & Aliens, definitely a summer flick worth seeing!  The depth of the characters was intriguing with plenty of carnage and green-blood splattering to boot!

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 02:51:09 AM »
Wild Wild West was one of the most god-awful fills ever made. I love Wll Smith, and all of his films, exsept that pile of donkey doo.

But it generated so many cool toys.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 03:53:28 AM »
I saw C&A today, I think it was a good summer flick and I agree that the depth of the characters is surprisingly well-developed. I think the premise of the whole thing is a bit far-fetched, but most movies coming out of Hollyweird anymore are like that. But as far as bad western movies based on a comic, Jonah Hex was much worse. I watched that yesterday. Bleah! Not even good ideas for gaming from that piece of celluloid crap. C&A has several potential playable scenes to try out and it makes for an interesting cross-genre game.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 05:02:31 AM »
I just saw this today with the boy, it's a fun popcorn movie! Nothing that's gonna change cinema or anything but we both enjoyed it.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.