Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lightning Powered Army of the Prussian Empire  (Read 2866 times)

Offline FeederOfRavens

• Schoolboy
Lightning Powered Army of the Prussian Empire
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »
This is just a sort of prelude to my starting my army. The general premise a sort of "what if the Prussians had kidnapped Nikola Tesla and made him work for them, etc." I realized it's kind of out there, and I realize that the historical accuracy may be slightly off. I hope you will all look past this, as I hope to provide some models that will hopefully not make your eyes bleed. Thanks and take care.
My center is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack.
-Ferdinand Foch

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lightning Powered Army of the Prussian Empire
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
I hope you will all look past this, as I hope to provide some models that will hopefully not make your eyes bleed.

I would be intrigued by eye bleed inducing models.....

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »
Don't worry, people's eyes only bleed over things like that on the Colonial Gaming forum. We like our Galvanic Chariots, Aetheric Flux Bombards, Cavorite Corvettes and whatnot over here.

Don't paint your Prussians light blue though, that would be sinful.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:11:49 PM »
Why does everyone always want their Victorian electric weapons to be designed by Tesla, no matter which country's forces they are building, when there are plenty of more appropriate 'national heroes' to play with? For Prussia, how about:

Carl Friedrich Gauss, 1877 to 1855
and
Wilhelm Eduard Weber, 1804 to 1891

These men collaborated on magentism in the 1830s. They produced the first electromechanical telegraph in 1833 and did a lot of work in researching the earth's magnetic fiield.

Easily justifiable VSF magnetiism-based technology includes electromagnets (for attaching bombs/torpedos to enemy ironclads) and electric motors for all sorts of vehicles (powered by small steam or chemical engines or battery-powered (galvanic) motors).

Remember also that one of the mainstays of sci-fi wargames armouries is the Gauss gun - firing a magnetically accellerated projectile. So how about something along these lines, powered by a suitable steam generator/steam powered vehicle.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline FeederOfRavens

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »
@ Bullshott: I hadn't even thought of that. Honestly, this is all kind of new to me, so I went with someone everyone would be familiar with. I will very definitely take your suggestions under advisement. Hell, I might even make up my own mad scientist...Thanks guys. The minis are on their way, as well as the spare parts needed for conversion. Now I get to wait here like a kid at Christmas...
Take care, guys.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:42:56 PM »
Mine are designed by Joseph Swan (1828-1914) (link to wiki article here) and built by the Armstrong works at Scotswood,owned by Lord Armstrong who also owned Cragside (the first house lit by hydroelelectric power; wiki link)... in my alternate Victorian era, Swan and Armstrong are also pioneers of powered flight and build aeronefs on Tyneside; but I am a Geordie VSFer.

If you want a previously-made-up mad inventor, however, there's always Professor AJ Copperthwaite (link to a previous thread about him) who is a stunning and bizarre (and very silly) Victorian 'genius'...

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
and of course there is Frankenstein playing with electricity and re-animation .....

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 02:37:40 AM »
But really we all know that Nikola Tesla is one of fifteen identical twins, raised in an undisclosed Texan facility and all released upon the world at roughly the same time.  There's plenty of them to go around.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
I have a couple of Galvanic Cannon in my Prussian force. I did some head swaps with ancient Britons so that the crew's hair is standing on end.

Offline FeederOfRavens

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 06:09:17 AM »
Update: Currently converting a character automaton for my army, made out of a lightly converted Cygnar Firefly from Warmachine. I've always like the model, but due to the fact that Cygnar was never my faction, and I've since abandoned the game, I never had a chance to field one. Now I will be fielding it as a prototype GKM-001 Sturm-Soldat, nicknamed "Der EisenBaron". Once all my parts come it I should have him done up in a couple days. I'll snap some photos and put them up here for you all to ogle at. Thanks and take care.