Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sources for cheap 28mm fantasy minis  (Read 228803 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Sources for cheap 28mm fantasy minis
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »
I don't know what they've got but we have the original UK masters, master moulds and production moulds. Don't let anyone tell you otherewise.

Any plans to release them? I could use a bunch of the renaissance-like dark elves to add to my old ones and would prefer to buy them from you then.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 08:23:14 AM »
Any plans to release them? I could use a bunch of the renaissance-like dark elves to add to my old ones and would prefer to buy them from you then.

Seconded! I have a sentimental weakness for the Grenadier Copplestone "Swashbuckler" Dark Elves (but I dislike the Bob Naismith Grenadier "Henry Moore" Dark Elves...).
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
Hi there!

The Tékumel Project sponsors and sells a range of miniatures for MAR Barker's Tékumel game setting.

Our main blog can be found here: http://thetekumelproject.blogspot.com/

The miniatures are 28mm from base of feet to the eye. Our currently available ranges are sold via the Tékumel Club blog. Some of our ranges were previously manufactured and sold by Eureka Miniatures - these are currently available by Special Order only. (They will eventually be put into regular production again.)

The Tékumel Club blog can be found here:

http://thetekumelclub.blogspot.com/

The shop is located in the right-hand margin. The "Introduction", "Tékumel Club" and "How to Order" pages explain how it works. The other pages are the various catalogue sections. Some are still under construction but our available miniatures are all listed.

Currently available:

The Hlaka - winged humanoids that somewhat resemble 3-eyed monkeys. Flying and grounded poses - armed with fire pots or javelins. Also includes our Imperial Messenger vignette, which depicts Prince Eselne receiving the news (via Hlaka messenger) of his father's death. This range is completed.

The Qól - vat-grown servitors of the Temple of Ksarul. They are pale white with serpent-like heads and tentacles instead of arms. The currently available Qól represent about half the range. There are another seven completed sculpts waiting to be molded and a palanquin with Qól bearers which is in the sculpting stage.

The Hlutrgu - vaguely "frog-like", these vicious aliens inhabit some of the swamps of Tsolyanu's South-eastern border. This range consists of Hlutrgu on foot and on board the coracles in which they occasionally take to the sea in lemming-like migrations. This range is completed.

Some new arrivals next week (June 13-17) include:

The Clan of the Standing Incantation - a puppet master, assistant, magical puppets and three delighted children.

The Sacrifice - based upon art from the original Empire of the Petal Throne rpg depicting a High Priest of Durritlamish about to offer a sacrifice.

Princess Vrísa Vishétru of Saá Allaqi - the daughter of the Sao of Saá Allaqi, she was a character in Professor Barker's own game.

Hope you like our figures. The prices vary upon whether you join our club, but if you do I think our prices meet the "under 2 GBP" criteria for this list.

Always happy to answer questions - email me at: green27 -at- sympatico -dot- ca

Best Regards,

Howard Fielding

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
Howard, while I like some of your models they really don't fit into the cheap cathegory. =) I don't think this particular thread is the most fitting one for you to promote the Tekumel project.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »
You said 2.00 GBP or less. Depending on the Exchange rate that is $3.00 at least, maybe more. (Just checked: 2.00GBP = 3.2456US$)

Our prices are that low: the Hlutrgu are as low as $1.50 each to members. What's that? 1.00GBP? (Though I admit, most people join at the 40% off level, so the price would be $1.80 or closer to 1.20GBP.)

And as far as the memberships go, it's just like the Old Glory Army card - if you are buying $120 dollars worth of figures (regular price) with the 40% off deal this comes to $48 dollars off - which is practically the cost of the 40% off membership($50). So the membership has paid for itself and any additional figures are all 40% off.

Edit 1: $128 is the point where the 40% off membership pays for itself.

Edit 2: All monies from the memberships go directly to paying for the sculpting costs of more Tekumel models, so by becoming a member you are directly contributing to the expansion of the range. If you want to help direct this expansion, then you have to become a Kerdu - one of our 50% off members, some of whom are sponsoring legions, for example.

Our models are deliberately priced to be affordable to members and expensive to non-members - if you call $4.00 expensive, that is. So - not expensive like GWs character models or anything from the small European manufacturers but expensive against GWs plastic.

Howard
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:01:16 PM by Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye »

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
Sorry mate, reading the listings on your blog I'm still not certain how much a single fig (or pack of) costs. I can see that a Hlaka leader costs $4 (which is about Ł2.50) but since I have no idea what a Hlaka is it's hard for me to judge the value of that.

Memberships, voucher systems etc should not be factored into the equation. The price of a single mini as a one-off is what's interesting here.

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
Sorry mate, reading the listings on your blog I'm still not certain how much a single fig (or pack of) costs. I can see that a Hlaka leader costs $4 (which is about Ł2.50) but since I have no idea what a Hlaka is it's hard for me to judge the value of that.

So the only fantasy that counts is based on Tolkien, is that what you're saying?

Memberships, voucher systems etc should not be factored into the equation. The price of a single mini as a one-off is what's interesting here.

Just a little arbitrary, don't you think? I thought the point was to list inexpensive sources for fantasy miniatures.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 09:55:29 PM »
So the only fantasy that counts is based on Tolkien, is that what you're saying?
:) No, I'm saying I have no clue what a Hlaka is and a picture of it next to its price tag would go a long way for me to decide on if it's a miniature worth buying or not - and whether it's cheap or expensive.

Just a little arbitrary, don't you think? I thought the point was to list inexpensive sources for fantasy miniatures.
Arbitrary indeed! As I started the thread, I decided 2 quid was the upper limit for me to consider a miniature cheap - and that was the purpose of the thread. Listing cheap miniature manufacturers. Not what I like or think is good, but what's cheap. When buying a metric fuckton of your miniatures, they are indeed cheap and I'll add them.

Would really like to stress the fact that your catalogue is missing pictures, and the pricing model is a bit obtuse. Among other things, it's not clear from the get go what a pack contains. Are the models resin, metal or plastic? Do they come with bases or do they have integral bases? Stuff like that needs to be repeated with each product code, together with a picture or two depicting the full contents of a pack. Just some friendly feedback, I'm not trying to nitpick.

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
Your comments about the way things are organized right now is well taken. I should probably drop most of the membership levels and just have Molkar (40% discount) and Kerdu (50%) - as the other levels really don't offer much benefit. Most people - if they buy our miniatures at all - will buy enough to make the Molkar level well worth while.

The Hlutrgu, for example, are essentially like Orcs, Zulus or Celts - for a battle you want many warbands. With the flotilla packs naval engagements are possible. Old Glory makes some nice galleys which could be used for the Tsolyani navy.

The Qol are more for dungeon crawl type of encounters, but can be found in large numbers. They are often found as guardians for the Temple of Ksarul - and sometimes Sarku. Currently the range is only about 1/3rd completed. The second 3rd has been sculpted but is waiting more figures before they are master molded (you need about 15 figures on the mold or you waste space.)

We have two legions (archers and pikemen) for Tsolyanu in our old Eureka range - The Legion of Ever-Present Glory and the Legion of Serqu, Sword of the Empire -  these are still available but have to be special ordered. current thinking is that they will be sold as Warbands ($40 reg price) consisting of command plus 10 troopers, and Hordes ($30 reg price) consisting of 10 troopers. At Molkar level this would be $24 and $18 respectively. This is $42 for 24 figures or about $1.75US per figure.

For Yan Kor we have 4 "gureks" - which is a type of combined arms formation used by Yan kor. So we have heavy infantry, Medium infantry, pikemen, spearmen, swordsmen (and axes and maces), archers and crossbowmen (with large demon-faced pavises.) These are the Gurek of Tleku Miraya 1 and 2; the Gurek of the Turquoise Eye and the gurek of the Valiant of Ke'er. I may be forgetting one...hmmm...

Another 4 or 5 are in various stages of completion - some are done just needing to be molded. These include: the Rulla Gurek, Makhis Gurek, the gurek of Defense Against Evil, the gureks of the cities of Dharu and Vanu, and the gurek of the Black Bough.

Edit: Forgot the Gurek of the Clan of the Silver Worm

We also have several of the non-human races almost released: the Shen and Ahoggya are right on the verge of being released. The first three Swamp folk greens are waiting to be molded. The Pachi Lei and Tinaliya are being sculpted.

There is so much stuff in the pipes that people should have no problem joining the club just to gain the discount. Not to mention the fact that by joining the club you are directly helping to bring all of the above into production! Club memberships are for a year, and most of the current members are due to expire in the Fall, but given the delays due to the technical differences between RAFM and Eureka's processes current memberships are going to be extended until the Shen and Ahoggya are released. Those Kerdu who sponsor legions are extended until those legions are released.

Anywya, sorry for rambling...it's just I have taken great pains to make sure our ranges are priced at "wargamer's prices".

Best Regards,

Howard Fielding
The Tekumel Project
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:53:24 PM by Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye »

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 08:22:54 AM »
I just noticed Ramshackle Games wasn't included in the list yet. They have a range of fantasy orcs and are definitely cheap!

http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 08:52:17 AM »
I just noticed Ramshackle Games wasn't included in the list yet. They have a range of fantasy orcs and are definitely cheap!

http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
Definitely not metal, though. =) Good mention.

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »
Does anyone have some pictures of the Magister Militum / Standard Games orcs? The ones on their site are teeeny.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
Can I be the third person to mention Irregular, and hope they get on your list this time? ;)

Also The Baggage Train has the Acropolis Miniatures line at 90p a figure!!
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Black Cat Bases

• Catwoman
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackcatbases.com
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »
Most of our figures are Ł2 or less ~ especially when bought in packs each. We have quite a lot of fantasy including lizardmen: http://blackcatbases.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=437_503&zenid=566c0f201334e3dea0fd96dedfa55d6d

Jo:)

Offline madmike

• Assistant
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:14 AM »
My wife and I have been buying a lot of the minis from Mega-miniatures of late as we have joined into a new D&D campaign run by our son in law. Been 20 years plus since I participated in a D&D campaign, so it is a lot of fun. Our Runequest group has been going strong since the eighties though :)

She painted this for our Model clubs SFF special interest group display;

Grenadier female paladin was used for this.