Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quar on Venus: More airship pics added May 22: pg4.  (Read 21140 times)

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
Re: Quar on Venus
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
Thanks!

I do like the new dark eldar raider a lot, but it is too 'pointy' for the Quar, or at least for how I see them.
Even if removing the spikes and the front spike-ram would leave too many concave curves that terminate in points.  It;d be great for some projects and I'd keep it in mind, but the Quar needed something more round & dumpy and the star wars skiff's basic hull was just right. Even on the wings, I rounded the wing 'points' to keep that feel.

It would be nice to have an excuse to work with that model though  :D
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »
Lovely airships! I have the larger version of that model, and would love some smaller PWTF ones, but they are expensive on the used market.

I hear what you're saying about the DE vehicle, not very Quar like at all.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »
Your choice of royalist Quar is inspired. I'm sure that they will look very good whn you have painted them. Nice conversions for your Scrembler and Cracker too (I'm not too sure about the other walker) and your flier conversions look great.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »
Looking closer I notice a  lack of smoke stack and More Rivets!!!  ;)
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
Re: Quar on Venus: Now with Light Tanks 3/22
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
The Fifth Mechanical Corp of the Royal Phobosian Light Expeditionary Brigade are pleased to report that B.I.D.B.I, or 'Bidby', the Break It Down/Build It of Solar Sail Transport Vessel 2, Stage 3 is complete and two Light Tanks are ready for service (or will be once they're painted).

I ran across a similar conversion on this forum before and loved it, much thanks for the inspiration!

More info & details on the Quar tanks here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/2011/03/quar-light-tanks.html

I have some of the walkers painted now, will try to get pictures up later

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Quar on Venus : now with Airships March17
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »
Here are the Quar Airships I made.  
I'm still debating whether to us a propeller or not.

Definitely go with a propellor on them! As an alternative to the transparent discs, nice big WW1 style double bladed props mounted at the rear as pushers would have a lovely VSF look   :)
I'm looking forward to seeing all this painted and ready to fight! The Quar really are lovely models and it's great to see how you are interpreting them.

Like the others said, what a great way to introduce yourself  :D

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Quar on Venus: now with Light tanks 3/22
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »
Nice tank. it fits in nicely with your army concept.

Nice base work too for the soldier. When will we see some painted versions?

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »
Nice tank. it fits in nicely with your army concept.

Hmm, I'm not sure; robotic walkers with ray-guns and steam-powered wheeled tanks with conventional weaponry don't really seem to go together, if I'm honest.

Not that I don't think your work is fantastic, by the way. I like the idea of the Quar originating from within our own solar system, it's far more interesting than whatever the original background was.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 10:26:51 PM »

Walkers have always seemed a much more complex tech than wheeled & tread vehicles to me too... heck, we've had the later for a century but walkers are pretty much in its infancy still.  So there is a certain amount of 'fantasy' to walkers in a turn of the century sci-fi environment.   

Most of the walkers I have do have conventional weaponry: gatling guns or cannons. The one scout walker though isn't equipped with ray-guns... backstory on it is that it has a coil-generator inside that builds up a charge from the motion of the walking legs action which it can discharge as an electric zap. Pretty crude and experimental tech and seems about right for the period.. kind of a Tesla idea is what I'm going for.   

No way around it though that walkers are more sophisticated than wheels, but the wheel & tread tanks are supposed to be 'old reliable' tech, while walkers and airships the more advanced.  Maybe similar to how the air force still uses propeller planes today for some uses despite it being much older tech than jets. All the walkers have a boiler & pipe engine system though, to try to bridge that gap.

Better not get me started on the Quar background for 'Planets in Peril'.. I can go on forever with the setting  o_o

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 08:00:50 AM »
Hmm, I'm not sure; robotic walkers with ray-guns and steam-powered wheeled tanks with conventional weaponry don't really seem to go together, if I'm honest.

Not that I don't think your work is fantastic, by the way. I like the idea of the Quar originating from within our own solar system, it's far more interesting than whatever the original background was.

Hand grenades and Apaches work pretty well together today, so why not different techs in VSF? In wartime, older kit is often retained past it's use-by date due to necesssity. You often see VSF armies with low-tech muzzle-loaders alongside shiny new experimental stuff, so why not walkers with death-rays and clunky steam-tanks together?  ;)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
I love the conversion that you did on the cyclops. Top notch work. And the base on the Quar is inspirational!

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »
Thanks!
I had fun with the bases, not many have the barbed wire, but a few for flavor.
I've been too busy with work-paint to put brush to Quar yet, but I did manage to get some late-hour simpler painting done for the machines:

More pictures and bit of fluff here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/2011/03/machines-of-phobos-roll-out.html

Next up on the conversion table is some automaton heavy & light infantry and a much bigger airship in the same style.. really looking forward to that.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
Re: Quar on Venus: Painted machines 3/25
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
Bring them along to the game meeting friday! Your forces might see some action!

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 01:16:03 PM »
Brilliant stuff.  8) using the Quar for VSF is a stroke of genius.

I've always liked the Quar but always thought "huh where would I use them?" since they're kinda low techy for a more 'normal' SF universe. But VSF works.

Nice coversion work too.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
Quar are quite brilliant, and this seems like the perfect use for them.  Lovely conversions, can't wait to see the whole force painted up.  :)
Jim