Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Army Painter  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
The Army Painter
« on: October 05, 2007, 12:40:39 AM »
Has anyone seen or tried this product yet?

Called "Quick shade", it appears to be a refinement of "The Dip", commercially mixed in three different tones. I can't get the website to work properly, so I haven't been able to look at it properly, but I've always struggled to get a consistent shade of dip I'm happy with, so hopefully this will be the answer to painting all those masses!

http://www.thearmypainter.com/

Cheers,
Ian

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
The Army Painter
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 03:52:56 AM »
Looks rather interesting.  Pity there's not an online store for the States.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
The Army Painter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:56:33 AM »
That knight in their animated example looks fine until they dump him in that shitty gloop. It doesn't shade him, just makes him dirtier.

Waste of money  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
The Army Painter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »
I've seen some good implementations of this products but it cost over 30 euro for a pitiful little tin.

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
    • Golden Goblin Gaming Group
The Army Painter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:01:02 AM »
Hi guys,

In our club we've used this kind of stuff for some quick projects. We used some kind of varnish/polish, so you can replace it with most colored varnish types, but in that case the varnish should be thinned down.

Anyway, it works really great if you use it as some kind of 'sepia' wash, and it's really cool for quickly shading organic colored stuff, like

browns
    off-whites
    metals
    skin tones

It also works ok with warm tones, like oranges and red without them turning too dirty.

On the other hand, you can't use it with cold/light tones, so most light blues, greens and yellow will turn out dirty.

Actually, I think it's a nice way of glazing your miniature - in this case the whole mini at once. This ties all colors together, and as it works as a wash it also helps define the details.

Most miniature gamers I know would benefit from this stuff: some will achieve better results because of the extra definition of detail: you spend little time painting the miniature, and you have a none too shabby result.

And on the other hand I think it would be cool to see what really talented painters could achieve by using this as just a step in their process, an overall glazing phase after which more and more details could be added to the model.

Of course, just my 2 cents. I know most painting gods frequenting this forms have an already established style, and really won't need this. But I know that I managed to paint up 30 dressed and armed skeletons and a few heroes using this in only a few days. And the skellies look nice!

/k
Golden Goblin by day & night, Great Old One after hours!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
The Army Painter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 12:47:12 PM »
Hmm, seems like I'd better stick to my own experiments. After a lot of hard work in the secret underground laboratory this morning, I think I've finally got a good brown wash sorted so now I'm going to try & work something out for blues & greens. Maybe straight black for both or one each of a very dark blue & green. :?:

After all, a bit of acrylic paint & Klear/Future polish mix is cheap enough to experiment with & discard without causing any anguish. Certainly cheaper than spending 30 Euros that could have bought some new figures. Ok, so I'm cheap  :lol:

Not everyone likes dips & varnish washes, but the results achieved by the likes of Ironworker, for example, are a great advertisement for how good it can look.
Now, back to the lab ..... Igor, fetch the ingredients!

Cheers,
Ian

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
The Army Painter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »
I agree with Matakishi, I think it would work for certain armies, uniforms such as WW2 where you would want to tone down and dirty up the figures but for some of the beauties on this site it would spoil them.

I se and oil wash which gives a similar effect and I dont need that torture device shown :D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
The Army Painter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
Orcs, anything in Khaki, Zanzibari Arab riff-raff, zombies, sci-fi camo uniforms, bloody peasants [ooh! did you hear that!] etc all look good with this method. I think it only looks dirty if too much stain is used in the mix. If done sparingly, so that it collects only in the right places, it can look very good.

It's not one for the master painters, but for average people like me, it's an invaluable aid to quickly getting toys on table.

Sadly, of course, it doesn't prevent them being quickly taken off again, when they inevitably die far too easily  :(

Cheers,
Ian

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
The Army Painter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:11:24 PM »
I've got a similar method that I mostly reserve for Skellies or other predominatly brownish tan figures.  I just use a watered down GW chestnut or flesh wash over a off white coat.  When fully dry I then give it a matte varnish, it takes all of the shine out of the ink and leaves the figure well shaded.

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
The Army Painter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »
We (www.fantasiapelit.com) received a bunch of these a week or so ago and decided to give 'em a go. I have to say I was quite impressed - the light tone looks good on white, strong can be used an almost anything (except blue, somehow it just doesnt look right), and with dark tone (which had black instead of brown pigment) you end up with surprisingly "clean" looking miniatures.

Mind you that at least in our experience it's better to use a brush and paint the "dip" on, rather than dipping your miniatures. Another thing worth mentioning is that while the jar seems a bit expensive at first (25 euros), I've used it on 40 kroot so far and you can't even really tell from the jar that its been used!

Marko
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
The Army Painter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 09:57:55 AM »
I think this product aims for people who actually CAN'T do any better (for what reason ever) than this. For them it seems to be a good product.
But for me, who loves painting minis and does is quite well, it's a waste of money.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...