Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690725
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Your army for Battles by GASLIGHT. Advice needed.  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Your army for Battles by GASLIGHT. Advice needed.
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »
HI! I have bouth rules and want to collect british and russian armies for my Australia Invaded project. I want to play small and big batles, so could you please tell me what does your army size for Gaslight and Battles by Gaslight? How many units, and what types of units?

Is it good to make 4 units of infantry, 1 cavalry, 1 mg, 1 cannon, 1 tank for begining and then to expand into larger forces?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Your army for Battles by GASLIGHT. Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
HI! I have bouth rules and want to collect british and russian armies for my Australia Invaded project. I want to play small and big batles, so could you please tell me what does your army size for Gaslight and Battles by Gaslight? How many units, and what types of units?

Is it good to make 4 units of infantry, 1 cavalry, 1 mg, 1 cannon, 1 tank for begining and then to expand into larger forces?

That sounds like a great start to me. It depends on how big your table is and how many players you'd expect.

My own forces are about the same size as the one you suggested, as I play solo on a fairly small area  :)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »
OK so for start with medium size table this should be ok?

And also how many tanks comparing to infantry do you recomend to make a VSF feel? Maybe 2 or 3 infantry units for each tank?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »
OK so for start with medium size table this should be ok?

And also how many tanks comparing to infantry do you recomend to make a VSF feel? Maybe 2 or 3 infantry units for each tank?

Again, it depends on your preference. I like more infantry-orientated actions, so I keep the number of vehicles to a minimum. Usually one tank and a couple of guns per side. It's really up to you depending on how you like to play. For anything less than really big tables I'd keep it to 2-3 tanks per side max, purely due to my dislike of GW40K-style massed-tank phalanxes. For me, less is more   ;)
Have a look through the archives to see how others play. Malamute and Skrapwelder amongst others have posted some great VSF games. They'll give you an idea as to what table size, number of units, vehicles etc looks "right".

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »
Thanx for helping! I've stated searching archives of this sector of forum

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:01:28 PM »
The number of tanks versus infantry really depends on whether your infantry units carry some kind of antitank weapon. If they don't then they tend to become spectators to the battle. Maybe arm them with congreve rocket launchers or sticky bombs or mines to attack tanks.

I find the biggest cause of problems is machine or gatling guns. I would limit these as they can decimate infantry too quickly.

I tend to give tanks poor sustain rolls to limit their effectiveness. They tend to then conk out at the most inopportune time  ;)

Cheers
Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »
Your proposed force sounds line a good one to start with for a small Battles game (if you want to use standard GASLIGHT I wiuld recommend halving this force, at least to start with). I would also recommend adding something else armoured to the force - possibly an armoured conveyance  or small vehicle (e.g. impervious suit or 1-man walker) with the capability of damaging a tank (perhaps a good close combat weapon, a flamethrower or a spar torpedo).

I agree with Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers in that you need to give at least one unit of troops some close combat anti-vehicle capability. Options might be torpedo lances for cavalry, giving one of your units bombs in addition to their rifles or maybe a coupe of flamethrowers.

We class all MGs (from Gatlings to Maxims) as having 3 shots and a greater range than whatever standard rifle you use (12" greater than rifle range works). This makes MG not too powerful (even with a couple of attached riflemen to make up unit numbers and add firepower) and vulnerable when they get within enemy rifle range (4 figures fired at by a couple of units 9 or 10 rifles soon reduce in number)

PM me with your email and I'll send you a copy of the playsheets and some sample unit cards we have generated (all in Word format so that you can edit them as required).
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 01:46:56 AM »
I prefer less tank, more cavalry and infantry. Like WW1, but with close formations slow moving tanks with slow reloading guns, so cavalry can charge them and throw grenades or sticky bombs. Some of infantry should carry sticky  bombs to fight tanks.
Also I prefer 1 or MAXIMUM 2 mg (2 only if its big battle. Like 1 mg on 4 infantrty units or some sort)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »
I prefer less tank, more cavalry and infantry. Like WW1, but with close formations slow moving tanks with slow reloading guns, so cavalry can charge them and throw grenades or sticky bombs. Some of infantry should carry sticky  bombs to fight tanks.
Also I prefer 1 or MAXIMUM 2 mg (2 only if its big battle. Like 1 mg on 4 infantrty units or some sort)

You sound very much like me  ;)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »
I like to see at Pre-World War One pictures.
They really thought these things can work together:
1) Colourfull uniforms (well, for French and a little bit of Belgium. Other countries become khaki or some kind at this era)
2) Repeater Rifles and close formations with marching at the open
3) Trenches and Bayonet charge in close formations
4) Mashine Guns but without wiping out enire battlefields
5) Glorious cavalry charges (despite the fact enemy have trenches, mg, and accurate rifles. Damn, even prone rifle company can wipe out cavalry company. Horses are easy target.)
6) Baloons, and aircraft.
7) Armored cars with MG

Also I like the idea that VSF tanks are much slower and have clow reloading guns, so cavalry can charge them with sticky bombs or torpedoe lances
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:27:59 AM by Fjodin »

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 03:41:12 AM »
The number of tanks versus infantry really depends on whether your infantry units carry some kind of antitank weapon. If they don't then they tend to become spectators to the battle. Maybe arm them with congreve rocket launchers or sticky bombs or mines to attack tanks.

I find the biggest cause of problems is machine or gatling guns. I would limit these as they can decimate infantry too quickly.

Damn Prussian tanks.  >:( Think more WWII with Gaslight tanks, infantry just can't touch them unless they have the right support.