Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:05:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry New Stuff  (Read 7373 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Perry New Stuff
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »
MW has an advert that lists:

Prussian plastic Infantry, metal command and 7 different Foot artillery sets.
New metal Medieval European troops to add to their plastic boxed set
Halberds for the WOTR range
New metal Napoleonic French cavalry

Not a bad month's haul.

Now that Warlord have Freikorps in plastic, a cheap Prussian army is possible, with Victrix's forthcoming four boxes of Austrians also appearing as 3 ups in the same mag.  Pleased to see that they have stopped duplicating each other's ranges.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Perry New Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »
I really don't know how they do it. And this is supposed to be a sideline to their GW stuff. To be this prolific and also keep the consistently high standard of work is baffling to me  ???

I just wish I had the resources to do large-scale games in 28mm - skirmishing with Austrians and Prussians just doesn't seem right somehow. Silly, I know.....

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »
I think its the way forward doing plastic,i love lead but the price of a figure is hard to complete a large army,keep up the good work i say.
The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »
Realli looking forward to the plastic Austrians, but I hope they will offer the early casquet hat along with the helmet and shako. I'd love to use them to supplement my Eureka figures.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
Thanks and drat! Ah well, maybe they'll do seperate metal head packs down the line like they did for the Brits.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
Well, they've just released the heads and command to upgrade British Infantry to Royal Marines, so you never know.  ::)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 02:51:56 PM »
I really don't know how they do it. And this is supposed to be a sideline to their GW stuff. To be this prolific and also keep the consistently high standard of work is baffling to me  ???

Well at risk of being controversial, I'm not sure they do.
Truthfully, the standard of some of the metal WOTR figures is not that good. They look... rushed. The style is pretty impressionistic on a few; the detail sketchy and not always that well realised. The plastics on the other hand (and God knows I never thought I'd say this) are actually much more finely sculpted and detailed figures...  ::)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
Truthfully, the standard of some of the metal WOTR figures is not that good. They look... rushed. The style is pretty impressionistic on a few; the detail sketchy and not always that well realised. The plastics on the other hand (and God knows I never thought I'd say this) are actually much more finely sculpted and detailed figures...  ::)

Hmm, fair enough. I haven't seen the metal WOTR close-up and based my remarks on what I have seen, ie the various plastics and the colonial stuff  :?

Still, even so, their average is better than many people's best  lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
Hmm, fair enough. I haven't seen the metal WOTR close-up and based my remarks on what I have seen, ie the various plastics and the colonial stuff  :?

Still, even so, their average is better than many people's best  lol

Totally agree. They are still Godlike, obviously - just with the occasional mere mortal flaw  ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 04:42:52 PM »
Totally agree. They are still Godlike, obviously - just with the occasional mere mortal flaw  ;)

...which is some small comfort to the rest of us!

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 05:38:05 PM »
Truthfully, the standard of some of the metal WOTR figures is not that good. They look... rushed. The style is pretty impressionistic on a few; the detail sketchy and not always that well realised.
Do you know, I've thought that about a lot of their output in the last year or two, but never dared to put my head above the parapet.
Weapons are my bete noir, with such poor and general detail on some its hard to see where to paint different colours.  :?
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 06:04:13 PM »
Sorry to say but I HATE PLASTICS, it reminds me of all those airfix figures I painted as a child. They all got the yellow bayonet disease....I guess I need some therapy before I touch a plastic figure again  :'(

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 06:26:42 PM »
Sorry to say but I HATE PLASTICS, it reminds me of all those airfix figures I painted as a child. They all got the yellow bayonet disease....I guess I need some therapy before I touch a plastic figure again  :'(

wrong kind of plastic. The plastic they use now is a hard plastic. But feel free to hate whatever you want.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 02:09:18 PM »
I am by no means a Perry fan, I feel like they cut corners on many of their figures to achieve their impressive production rate. The samurai in particular disappointed me- where crisp detail is essential. I painted about a hundred of them in two batches with about a year in between, and was unhappy the whole time, whereas I can paint Olley samurai all day long with every lace visible and distinct. I recently bought some Sudan figs for the LPL and I wasn't that impressed with those either. Detail isn't that pronounced and the undersides of a lot of their figures have really rough gaps and voids that aren't filled in- not good for brushes. I'm not one of those painters that likes to overpaint the existing detail for graphic effect. They take eons to clean... some people say its because of the 'incredible detail' but I don't have to spend that much time prepping figures from almost any other manufacturer. I suppose they have such a large fan base because of the more realistic proportions. Don't get me wrong, I've dropped serious money on Perry figures over the years and they're nice- but I just don't get the rabid enthusiasm many people have.

That said, the new zouaves are stunning- I was admiring them, practically drooling, the entire time I was working on them. The detail is astounding. They may draw me into ACW (more likely a VSF version :)) If the Ansar are anything near the Zouaves they will be absolutely off the hook. The Perrys, Renedra, or the two in combination are doing fantastic work.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza