Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:51:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Seated Brits in 28mm?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline ydarg1214

• Lurker
Seated Brits in 28mm?
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »
Hi there, I've been trolling around for some time - first post.  I have been working on a VSF -Venus project since last fall, and I am in need of some 28mm British who are sitting down - could be gunners, or wagon drivers, or even horsemen.  They are going to be put on board some Crucible ornithopters - so I could even go 25mm scale.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good source of 5 seated figures - preferably without having to buy horses?

Also, I am starting some flying boats soon and was looking for recommendations for British naval crew and guns, as well as ship fittings.

If interested, I am slogging through the basics - nothing original here - Kroot, skinks, zulu war British.  I am forcing myself to do all of the foot troops before I let myself do some fun stuff.  And yes, there are several ideas I completely pilfered from this forum in the following pics - credit to those who have more imagination than I!

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/ydarg1214/VSF%20Venus/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Seated Brits in 28mm?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:31:13 PM »
redoubt Miniatures have a good selection of mounted figures you can buy individually without the horses in their Zulu Wars range.

They also have a VSF range Inc various Brit crew figures, seated infantry, vehicle crews etc.

Ironclad Miniatures have a decent VSF range too.

Naval brigade try Copplestone castings in their Darkest Africa range. They used to have. Lovely Nordenfelt gun and crew but I think it's currently OOP.

Empress Miniatures have an extensive Zulu wars range, which is ever expanding you might find something there or Perry Miniatures Sudan range.

Worth checking them out.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »
A bit off the wall, but they are nice figures, are the seated British troops the Perrys did for their Foundry Indian Mutiny range.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Cadet13

• Scientist
  • "Now I have a machinegun. HO HO HO."
    • http://chucksnapwargames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »
I don't know about seated Brits, but for Royal Navy there are a few choices out there. For armed sailors I suggest the Perry Naval Brigade figures from their Sudan line; very nice sculpts in my opinion. For unarmed sailors I've used some of the gunboat crewmen from Eureka and some sailors from Blue Moon, but there are more to be found here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7145.0

As for fittings, I am partial to those made by Reviresco. The figures are a bit dodgy, but the guns and fittings are very nice.

Offline ydarg1214

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions - much research to do.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
A couple of Foundry Darkest Africa packs have figures, (would be worthwhile asking for them in Bazaar of Obscurities, I have been fairly lucky in getting the figures I have needed this way)
http://wargamesfoundry.com/historical_ranges/single_packs/darkest_africa/british/british_officers_adventurers_da093/?sector_id=12
but I can no longer find the guy drinking a cup of tea.

Offline Nighthawk

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:27:13 AM »
I know that you were asking for figure information ydarg. I hope you won't mind if I ask you for some information. I looked at your pictures, very nicely done by the way. I was wondering where did you get the birds that the Kroot are riding?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
Castaway Arts in Australia do an "ambulance camel" with two seated casualties:

http://www.castawayarts.com.au/catalog/catalog_main.php?cmd=groupload&group=18

It might be worth asking if they will do a deal and sell you figures only. You never know  :D

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 08:48:37 AM »
Very nice pictures. I like the kroot cavalry, especially the bird riders, and I'll second the request for info too.
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »
It might be worth asking if they will do a deal and sell you figures only. You never know  :D

Another vote for Castaway Arts.  Gerry is very accomodating when it comes to buying components, so I'm sure he'd sell you those figs separately.  He also sometimes has variants that aren't included on his website.  It might be worth asking if he has those two figures sans the seats.  He also has a number of cavalry poses that he sells individually.  Definitely worth looking into for your purposes.

Let us know how it turns out!
-Tommy

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
I bought some seated Redoubt VSF figures wearing the "Home Service Pith Helmet" some years ago if I remember right I had to e-mail them direct as they where (and still are) not listed on the site I also bought quite a few of the seated ACW figures inc the "Seated Officers on benches" with a view to having them as a 2nd line replacement units hence musket and older/different style to the uniform.
But now with the great extras such as seperate heads from the likes of Empress, Ramshackle, Black Pryramid Gaming and even the much malingned Wargames Factory's plastic Zulu War British release I should dig them out and try the head for size on those seated ACW bodies -A great bit of news of course is that Warlord with Empress are going to release their own line of plastic Brits :D
gan canny kidder!

Offline ydarg1214

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »
Thanks again for the info folks.

Nighthawk, and others interested in the birds:  I have no idea who made those.  I picked them up on a discount table in Sacramento about ten years ago and I cannot for the life of me remember who made them - I have searched to no avail.  So, if anyone can identify those birds let me know.