Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:48:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 24hrs to build a Martian army  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
24hrs to build a Martian army
« on: April 13, 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
So with a Big came fast approaching and having to drop the figures off for it this evening, I decided yesterday that i probably should stop procrastinating and actual start work on the Martians I had promised.   (I am guessing I should have started this army before yesterday morning.)

Flying Astral Squid to cause terror aboard the British Aeronef Fleet.

Although a herbivore by nature the Astral squid eat the foliage of the Float wood trees.  The red leaves staining the inside of their giant maws giving a terrible appearance.  Generally passive the Squid will fight to defend their food sources.... shame for the British logging ships I say.

A scale comparison shot

2 x Tunnelling Worm to burst out of the ground to attack the Human forces and probably the Martians as well as these critters go into a feeding frenzy.

50 x Martians armed with short range rifles, ideal for the close quarters fighting.
These Martians, the Termigons, are a spiteful and cowardly race.  Preferring to pick on weaker or smaller targets then themselves.  Hunting in packs increases their chance of staying around but their resolve will soon waver as the casualties pile on.  Being a very Low tech race the Termigons are easily manipulated by the Prussian Empire.   In exchange for the short ranged shotguns they carry the Termigons attack the forces of the Allies whilst keeping their distance from the forces of the Axis.   Their natural ememies are, well anyone including themselves although they have a special kind of hatred for the Drune (A race of artisans and tradesmen) who they see as rich and over privileged.

The blue face marking are all different.   I was going to use different colours to diffirentiate between different tribes as these are a canabalistic race or cave and tunnel dwellers it would be unfortunate to have the wrong colour markings in the wrong place  :D.  

Well I would have done them a little better had I started them weeks ago,   when I redo them I will put more effort in.   I need to add some work to the rear of the Squid making the back of its head more of a flat diamond shape and the eyes should really have been on the smooth bit rather then the shell bit.    :?

Ah well not much I can do about it now   (Sorry about that Simon C, and are you okay to do the record sheets for these?)

Cheers all
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:30:49 AM by Rabbitz »
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: 24hrs to build a Martian army
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:32:04 AM »
Admirably done!

What figures are your Martians?  They look like Kroot models with foreshortened rifles (they look good enough I might reconvert mine to match!) and Tyranid heads?
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:15 AM »
How did you come up with the idea for the astral squid? Is it buried in the fluff where I never noticed it, or out of your own fevered imagination?

I guess I never looked closely enough at Kroot feet; I sure don't remember those...  :o

Of course, I'd never thought of using 'nid heads, but well done!

Doug

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 03:09:31 AM »
The Martians are indeed GW Kroot with Genestealer heads and with their guns chopped down and the stock removed.  Our background describes the Termigons as a Canabalistic race that lives primarily in caverns underground and build big termite style spires out of the planet surface.   Long guns seemed impracticable underground and I figures that living in the dark eyes were not really essential.  The Genestealer head seemed to suit a more cannibal race better then the original Kroot heads.  Ebay is your friend when it comes to finding 'Bits'

The squid are also part of our background.   They float around and harvest the floating Islands of Mars.   Basically when the Float Wood forests get large enough their lighter than air properties cause huge chunks of planet surface to be ripped from the planet, these huge chunks then drift on the Astral currents and become large floating Islands.  The forces of man harvest these Float Wood trees to manufacture and fuel the huge flying ships called Aeronefs.   There of course comes a point when the forest has been harvested to a point where it can no longer support the huge chunk of earth that it floats around on.    When this happens the huge islands come crashing down, making the harvesting of these precious resources very dangerous.   To avoid or minimise collateral damage the forces of Humanity only harvest the forests when they are floating over unoccupied terrain.   Not so however the Astral Squid who have no concept of the damage a falling island can cause.
Sometimes other Martian races have built settlements near the forests and get lifted up once the 'Island' goes airborne.   Sometimes its intentional, maybe they want to care for the forests, research the Astral Squid (and its a good way to get close to them) sometimes its through greed as they know they can sell the wood to mankind.

Now the Squid Are sometimes controlled by the 'Seer'  a race of high intellect Martians.   The Seer have great mind control powers but adore physical conflict directly.   They are responsible for the imprisonment of the Metaloids and are their sworn enemy.   The Seer are almost extinct now but can sometimes been seen working as advisor's for the Allies forces.

Phew....

ok so we have a weird imagination  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:11:41 AM by Rabbitz »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:47:43 AM »

ok so we have a weird imagination  :)

And a very good thing too!

These are all wonderful models. I particularly like the Kroot/Genestealer hybrids. Simple yet completely different from the norm.

More, I say - More!  ;D

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »
Love the Martians - they look awesome.

Very primal and a little bit H.R. Giger.

Excellent!
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 10:12:23 AM »
Gorgeous.  :-*
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »
Fantastic creations!

Something we have come to almost expect from Mr. Rabbitz!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:49:54 PM »
Oooh!

I like the organic take on Martians.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
    • Dastardly Designed Games
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »
Nicely done sir!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
Very nice work sir. I love the look of the squid and worm.

Yet another use for kroot!
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »
These are very cool.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
These are great! I love the blurb and backstory. Excellent!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 08:48:32 PM »
How are the worms made ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »
How are the worms made ?

A plastic coke bottle cut into three sections.  the 'neck' part of the bottle forms the inner mouth and the rest of the bottle the body.   Cover it with hot glue and use cocktail sticks for the teeth.   Simple  :)