Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:34:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest inspiring movie received  (Read 217706 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Latest inspiring movie received
« Reply #945 on: January 19, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »
I can't believe that Aussies don't learn a second language.  In the UK we teach at least one in every school.  My school, as an example, teaches French, German, Spanish and Latin.  o_o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #946 on: January 19, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
Actually a second language is TAUGHT at Primary & Secondary Leavel but at some stage it becomes optional and most of the students opt out. We continue to teach European languages when more localised languages such as Indonesian, Japanese or one of the Chinese mainstrean languages would be far more appropriate given where most of our trade is coming from/going to.

I can't believe that Aussies don't learn a second language.  In the UK we teach at least one in every school.  My school, as an example, teaches French, German, Spanish and Latin.  o_o
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #947 on: January 19, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »
Tesco Hotdogs are now being investigated:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #948 on: January 19, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »
Tesco Hotdogs are now being investigated:

Lol, that used to be my Avatar lol

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #949 on: January 19, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
Well, to be honest, if a Brit goes abroad he is more likely to need Spanish than any other language, but this is often exchanged by speaking English slowly, loudly and adding an "o" to the occasional noun. :D

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #950 on: January 19, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
And mine taught English and French as a second language.  ;)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #951 on: January 19, 2013, 09:26:46 PM »
Most, if not all Australian schools do teach second languages. Mine offered French, German and Latin. I can think of quite a few schools that offer Indonesian, it was trendy in the 1990s. A lot of places offer Japanese and Chinese. Then of course you have the fact that Australia has a huge immigrant population so you have a considerable chunk of the population whose family speaks, Italian, Greek, Vietnamese, Cantonese, etc, etc etc.

One of the biggest obstacles to get children to study Mandarin, apart from its realtive complexity is the way the subject is taught and assessed. We have a very large population of native Chinese speakers and not surprisingly, having been raised with the language, their offspring tend to do far better than non-native speakers. So a teenager who wants to excel in their matriculation and get higher marks for a place at a university is likely to know that they won't be competing on a level playing ground. Studies have shown that this is one of the subjects that drops away for secondary school students the further they progress through secondaty school.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #952 on: January 21, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »
It's my birthday today, and among other gaming-related goodies my kids gave me the DVD of John Carter. I know it's supposed to be a turkey, but hey, I like Flash Gordon, so sue me. I expect 2 hours of enjoyable Victorio-pulp daftness. Or at the very least, I hope it looks nice.

I expected this one to be some bland Disney production where they had taken all the ooomph out of an good old well established story. It was much more enjoyable than I expected. Good storyline and at times rather funny.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #953 on: January 23, 2013, 01:21:05 AM »
I expected this one to be some bland Disney production where they had taken all the ooomph out of an good old well established story. It was much more enjoyable than I expected. Good storyline and at times rather funny.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. I'm not so knowledgeable about the books, or the comics for that matter, but the only noticeable 'ooomph' that was taken out I thought was if 'ooomph' is a euphemism for 'nudity'. Which, given that it was a Disney film, and there were rumoured to be tie-in toys (though I don't remember seeing any) and over here it least it was rated '12' (no-one under 12 can see it unless accompanied by an adult) then I didn't really expect the massive amounts of flesh that are implied in the originals and shown in most of the artwork. And occassionally minis.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #954 on: February 02, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »
Gang met up last night. We played the "War on Terror" board game that the Daily Mail got in such a tizz over. In shockingly poor taste, rather like the real thing, but unlike the real thing heaps of fun. It was our first gaming night since before Christmas, so there were presents, among them this...

My small collection of Blaxploitation favourites is slowly growing...

Plus I have these two, which aren't really Blaxploitation as such, but are connected to it by their star, and are certainly exploitation...

Yes, before Spartacus: Tits and Sand, there was THE ARENA!!!!  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #955 on: February 02, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »
Dunno how anyone could concentrate on a board game with Pam Grier on the screen.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #956 on: February 02, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »
Sinbad and the Minotaur - starring Manu Bennett (from Spartacus Blood and Sand)
it inspired me never to watch it again and to burn it in the garden as soon as the snow clears!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #957 on: February 02, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »
Dunno how anyone could concentrate on a board game with Pam Grier on the screen.

I agree, but Pam Grier wasn't on the screen. There was no screen. There was just Jeanne Bell in her DVD case.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #958 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:26 PM »
Gang met up last night. We played the "War on Terror" board game that the Daily Mail got in such a tizz over. In shockingly poor taste, rather like the real thing, but unlike the real thing heaps of fun. It was our first gaming night since before Christmas, so there were presents, among them this...

My small collection of Blaxploitation favourites is slowly growing...

Plus I have these two, which aren't really Blaxploitation as such, but are connected to it by their star, and are certainly exploitation...

Yes, before Spartacus: Tits and Sand, there was THE ARENA!!!!  :)

Oww.....Pam Grier.....yummy  8)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #959 on: February 09, 2013, 11:14:12 AM »
It's not really a movie, but I am watching the 1980's TV series "Robin of Sherwood". It's great fun, and it has certainly tempted me to buy Conquest Games' not-Robin of Sherwood figures.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare