Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690734
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: American Colonialism?  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Conquest

• Librarian
    • http://www.conquestminiatures.com
American Colonialism?
« on: October 25, 2007, 11:19:08 PM »
I'm wondering if I should post American Adventure related topics here, or does everyone who visits assume African Colonial Adventures?

I'm starting to work on more of my Native stuff, as well as play around with exploration in the new world, and even Pulp-ish goings ons.

Where's the best place for this?
It's not cheating if your stupid.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
American Colonialism?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:51:05 AM »
It's either here or Old West. Of course, given your line of stuff, the "old west" is going to be Ohio.

Offline Chuckaroobob

• Scientist
American Colonialism?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 04:10:22 AM »
I just bought some Tiger Miniatures of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. I plan on using them in either pulp or American Colonialism, probably both.  They would also be great for "The Wind and The Lion" style action.  I'd post it here, but that's just me.
They call me "Point Cow"

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: American Colonialism?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 06:00:18 AM »
Quote from: "Conquest"
I'm wondering if I should post American Adventure related topics here, or does everyone who visits assume African Colonial Adventures?

I'm starting to work on more of my Native stuff, as well as play around with exploration in the new world, and even Pulp-ish goings ons.

Where's the best place for this?

Not only African, Eric, feel free to post here your American colonial experiences, too :-)

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
American Colonialism?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 09:22:28 PM »
I am intrigued.. please tell me more.  :D

I have an idea bsed loosely on the early Jamestown colony after having seen Captain Blood's eminent Falstaff group on LPL round 6.
Elizabethan seadogs versus Eureka Powhattans or why not Elizabethans versus South american amazonians like Tupi from Coppelstone.....

There was in the late 17th/early 18th century a Scottish attempt to colonize parts of South America if I remember correctly. All I remember is that it failed miserably.

Cheers

Eric

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
American Colonialism?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 10:32:05 PM »
Now that, is a neat idea!

I hadn't thought of pitting my Elizabethans (I have about 100 now!) against native Americans...

I did buy a few The Assault Group Aztecs a couple of years ago, but having based, cleaned them up, and primed them, I can't summon up the enthusiasm to actually paint them. There's something about the figures I just don't like for painting purposes. Really weird. They're nice enough little sculpts (by Mark Sims I think), but every time I put the brush on them, my enthusiasm goes out the window...

But the Copplestone Tupi... Now I really like that idea...

The Scottish adventure you're thinking of was the so-called Darien Project - the Scots' attempt to establish an empire of their own to rival the English, by colonising the Isthmus of Panama. Unfortunately they packed lots of woolly clothes (not understanding the nature of the Tropics), and most of the expedition perished, thereby bankrupting the Scottish treasury - all the wealth of the country having been invested in the project - and ultimately leading to the Act of Union with England... Basically, Scotland couldn't afford to continue as a sovereign power.

I've seen the Darien Chest in the National Museums of Scotland in Edinburgh - the great ironbound box in which all the wealth of Scotland was collected and transported to the New World - only to end in utter failure. It's really quite moving to see the actual empty casket in which the hopes and dreams of a nation rested and died.

He said, waxing lyrical  :wink:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
American Colonialism?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 12:38:01 AM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
Now that, is a neat idea!

I hadn't thought of pitting my Elizabethans (I have about 100 now!) against native Americans...

I did buy a few The Assault Group Aztecs a couple of years ago, but having based, cleaned them up, and primed them, I can't summon up the enthusiasm to actually paint them. There's something about the figures I just don't like for painting purposes. Really weird. They're nice enough little sculpts (by Mark Sims I think), but every time I put the brush on them, my enthusiasm goes out the window...

But the Copplestone Tupi... Now I really like that idea...

The Scottish adventure you're thinking of was the so-called Darien Project - the Scots' attempt to establish an empire of their own to rival the English, by colonising the Isthmus of Panama. Unfortunately they packed lots of woolly clothes (not understanding the nature of the Tropics), and most of the expedition perished, thereby bankrupting the Scottish treasury - all the wealth of the country having been invested in the project - and ultimately leading to the Act of Union with England... Basically, Scotland couldn't afford to continue as a sovereign power.

I've seen the Darien Chest in the National Museums of Scotland in Edinburgh - the great ironbound box in which all the wealth of Scotland was collected and transported to the New World - only to end in utter failure. It's really quite moving to see the actual empty casket in which the hopes and dreams of a nation rested and died.

He said, waxing lyrical  :wink:

Now you are talking Captain Blood I love the Meso american era I have oodles of Aztecs, Tlaxcalans etc and the Copplestone Tupi and Botocudo are lively, headhunters for all types of gaming :)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
American Colonialism?
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 01:05:04 AM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"

Now you are talking Captain Blood I love the Meso american era I have oodles of Aztecs, Tlaxcalans etc and the Copplestone Tupi and Botocudo are lively, headhunters for all types of gaming :)

If you need something very cheap for South American tribes, the Old Glory cannibals from the pirate line would work.  The Copplestone Tupi and Botocudo are great, but expensive.

I think Africa is the most popular setting for late 19th and early 20th Century adventures.  The large animals and the dramatic looking African tribes provide a lot of mystique.  However, Mezo-American temples complex buildings are available.  They certainly would provide a cool setting for adventure scenarios, particularly when surrounded by or covered in nice jungle terrain like that produced by Grimm.  Filibusters in Central America would be a good adventure topic, with linked scenarios in the city or village and in some Mayan ruins.  Jaguars could provide some large animal danger.  River boats could be used up the Amazon or on Cental American lakes.  Western gunfighter or soldier figures could be used for filibusters.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
American Colonialism?
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 08:57:03 AM »
Apart from jaguars there are plenty of snakes and insects in the jungles and swamps.
If you want really large animals you could go slightly "Lost World"ish and have a volcanic plateau with ice age survivors, sabre tooth cats, glytodons, giant sloths, cavebears, etc.
Wasn't there a giant Patagonoan flightless bird looked like an ostrich but big as an elephant ?
Think of the options you could have with that on the volcanic plateau - mix in an Aztec style temple and have one of the giant birds kept by the priests (who naturally feed it on captives) who worship the "feathered giant".

But then you'd almost definitely be in the realms of VSF.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
American Colonialism?
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 09:50:20 AM »
Quote from: "fastolfrus"
Wasn't there a giant Patagonoan flightless bird looked like an ostrich but big as an elephant ?

The Terrorbird or Thunderbird, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorusrhacidae

Offline Florin

• Bookworm
    • A Song of Lead and Plastic
American Colonialism?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 05:07:20 PM »
What about cuban miniatures? well, maybe its not really "american colonialism" in the purest sense, but i really would like some Che/ Castro, Battista and Maffia or Pigs Bay stuff. Would work for histoical stuff as well as for pulp settings.
where there`s blood there`s death not glory

Online commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 04:38:09 AM »
yes I know i am reviveing an old thred but dose any amy one know about rughly when the US first should up in japain? I know it was before the US Civil war, and pretty much forced the japanies with the threat of bombarding Kaoto  to open up trade, but thats all i know. the fleet then sailed on to korea were it fought aginst a fleet or Korean iron clades.
I am thinking of a strange colonial seting with the US moveing into Japan. So pretty much my Blue coats, and cowboys aginst samria and ninjas.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 07:46:02 AM »
That would be Commodore Perry (not to be confused with Admiral Peary!) and the "Opening of Japan":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Perry_(naval_officer)

Allen
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:51:10 AM by aecurtis »
What fresh hell is this?

Online commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
Thanks

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 03:46:32 PM »
when I saw the thread title for some reason I immediately thought of an alternate history setting with the United States, having defeated the British, marching on Mexico, South America and Canada to form some kind of American Empire :D.