Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:04:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Sword and the Flame in the Sudan  (Read 7597 times)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
The Sword and the Flame in the Sudan
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:13:49 PM »
A few photos of a good old-fashioned colonial game (without a single steam tank or anything – Mr. Plynkes must be so proud!)I set up this afternoon. The Sudanese aim was to break into and loot the British camp, the British aim being obviously to stop them.

The table. Camp in the top left, with a few Sudanese doing their thing in the bottom right:

The Naval Brigade stand to:

The game began with the Dervish attempting to storm the camp head-on. It didn’t work:

The cavalry arrives for both sides. The gap in the front rank of Hussars is that left by their captain, whose first act on the field was to be struck by shot from the Sudanese pop-gun on the hill:

The Hussars then swept the centre of the table free of Dervishes.

About this time the Egyptians arrived. Didn’t do much else:

Meanwhile, a mob of Dervish had snuck around to attack the camp from the rear. Melee ensued:

But the Gardener saw them off in the end (It didn’t jam once, unlike the Dervish’s gun, which managed to fail at the critical moment as the Hussars launched their charge against it).

Silly hats were, of course, mandatory (despite the fact I’m the one in the pith, I commanded the Dervish. My friend does not wish to be identified): 

So a British victory of sorts, with rather heavy losses for both sides. Rules used were, as ever, TSATF, with modifications.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Sword and the Flame in the Sudan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:24:25 PM »
Nice looking game, and terrific fez, as the good doctor says fez's are cool.
Are the slotta bases absolutely necessary though, 'cos they ain't doing the figures any justice at all. That is not a criticism, just a personal observation.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:24:56 PM »
...without a single steam tank or anything...

Inspiring stuff. Love the desperate melee inside the zareba. Silly hats, too!  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »
Are the slotta bases absolutely necessary though, 'cos they ain't doing the figures any justice at all. That is not a criticism, just a personal observation.

Yes, I hate them too. Basically, I based the first 50 or so figures on the GW non-slotta bases, then ran out of those, couldn't be bothered to rebase them onto something sensible, so just carried on using slotta bases instead. I don't really notice much anymore. I figure I'll rebase them all one day, in, say, 30 or so year’s time. ::) :(

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
Great stuff 42! Just my sort of game.  :) 
Don't!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
Nice game, Pete.  I do so love the Sudan.  My next period I think, although it will be later in the century before I paint them..............
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
Great table there, answer_is_42, miniatures, buildings/tents and all... Aside all that, the table-cloth, whatever it is, looks amazing on the pictures. As everybody else said or implied... Very inspiring stuff.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »
A very nice, clean, colonial jaunt! The cloth does look very effective for the Sudan.

How many figures did you field and is it enough for TSATF - I've often wondered how many figures it requires?

Pity about the poor Hussar captain. Many of our own heroes meet similar untimely ends before accomplishing anything. :(

“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 12:50:23 AM »
A very nice, clean, colonial jaunt! The cloth does look very effective for the Sudan.

How many figures did you field and is it enough for TSATF - I've often wondered how many figures it requires?

Pity about the poor Hussar captain. Many of our own heroes meet similar untimely ends before accomplishing anything. :(

Thanks! We had about 60 or so Dervish, facing 15 Naval chaps, 12 Hussars and 20 Egyptians. I'd say this is about perfect (although I do often like setting up games of 100 or more figures a side, which work almost as well).

TSATF is a very vague set (with, I must say, a few fairly large holes in it), and as such I find it perfect for recreating the confusing and fast nature of colonial warfare. It is a perfect base for modification, and we're always adding or subtracting various bits to it (I’ve dozens of pieces of paper with various scribbled rules changes on them lying about). I don’t regard it as a set of ‘rules’, more an eternal work in progress. I have never had a dull game of TSATF, and there is no other set I can say that about. The only thing you must bear in mind is that it should in no way be treated seriously; it's about as far removed from a set of rules one would use at a tournament as I can imagine.

And on the Hussar captain; the Dervish cavalry leader (pictured above on the black horse) was also the first of his unit to die. It was not a day for officers (a wonderful aspect of TSATF is the randomized casualty removal).

Aside all that, the table-cloth, whatever it is, looks amazing on the pictures.
I bought a few years ago to play GorkaMorka on, of all things. It's served me well. Doesn't come out very well in the photos; the table was an awful lot more hilly in real life.

I don't think I've ever actually had a game of GorkaMorka on it, now I think about it... ::)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:01:20 AM by answer_is_42 »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:50:24 AM »
I bought a few years ago to play GorkaMorka on, of all things. It's served me well. Doesn't come out very well in the photos; the table was an awful lot more hilly in real life.

I know what you mean. Many of our hilly set-ups look almost flat in photos and at the wrong angles. I am going to try spreading a bit of sand and pebbles next time to help define the hills.

Offline stormchaser

• Student
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 04:23:37 AM »
Nice game and good looking figs.  Great to see someone playing colonials under the age of 50.
It is what it is.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:17:03 AM »
Nice looking game, and terrific fez, as the good doctor says fez's are cool.

And a splendid pith!

Great looking game ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 08:32:39 AM »
Hi there,

Great looking game with plenty of action,

Nice "pith" by the way.

As a side note - if you need anymore blank 25mm dia. Workshop bases drop me a pm - I have about two dozen sat doing nothing ( and a few larger square ones as well).

RMZ

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 08:41:28 AM »
I usually dabe extra PVA on my bases and try to fill the gap.  Nice to see Cheltenham so well represented here...........

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
Great report! I really enjoyed it. Thanks.
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/