Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:44:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689796
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New project, C18th smugglers  (Read 9682 times)

Offline Graven Steve

• Bookworm
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JimbowensDisturbia/
New project, C18th smugglers
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 11:02:49 PM »
I have this Church in stock from when I painted it for the site:
http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/update210803/MA25-01.jpg

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 12:35:22 AM »
Quote from: "fastolfrus"
Best source of reasonable looking ready-painted 25mm resin buildings that I've found is eBay, a chap trading under the banner of "Sellthatstuffboy", he usually has a few, generally for about £10-£15 each, including a coopers barn that looks very tempting :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25MM-WARGAMES-MEDIEVAL-STYLE-BUILDING-COOPERS-BARN_W0QQitemZ220164412625QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2559QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He also has stacks of barrels and crates etc. and his stuff is good quality, I have bought quite a few of his 15mm WWII pieces and they are top notch, also a couple of 25mm Monitors (great but I need a bigger river now !) that I picked up for VSF games - cheap enough that I can use them as ready painted scenery.

I have around 15 of his buildings plus around 12 of the Monolith Tudor buildins which are great too, a church would be nice

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 08:16:48 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I willcheck out the Ebay guy. I remember seeinghis stuff at shows when he was TSS. :)
Admiral Benbow - Thanks for the Conflix suggestion. I will consider that as well :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 06:36:19 AM »
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline fantail

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 12:28:02 AM »
Sounds like a great setting for a game. On TMP, Jeff from Outpost hinted at doing smugglers around Christmas time, which would be nice. I recently painted some foundry smugglers-nice little character models. I like the idea of having a multiplayer early/mid 18th century game with smugglers, highwaymen, dragoons, local militia/townsfolk, thief takers and a small landing of French/Jacobites. Maybe a Bonnie Prince Charlie of 45 kind of thing.
Anyway, best of luck with theplanning.
Andrew

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 08:37:58 AM »
So far most of the figures have arrived(Don't mention the Foundry ones...)I am only now waiting for the Outpost ones. I realised I already had a church that would be ok to use by Fantascene.
So now its just sourcing the buildings. I am hoping that the PMC man will be at Warfare in Reading in a couple of weeks time and I can see his buildings in the flesh.
I will post photos as things progress....

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 09:23:16 AM »
Malamute I will get some photos taken of the Sellthatstuff boy one, they are ready painted and save a deal of time. I have my Foundry already I just need to get the Thief taker from Outpost as I Have the rest. I also picked up the Mounted Dragoons from F they have 6 dismounted and one with the smugglers in chains, a nice little touch :D

I need a church and the Inn, then the wood chip wallpaper :mrgreen:

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 11:09:05 AM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Malamute I will get some photos taken of the Sellthatstuff boy one, they are ready painted and save a deal of time. I have my Foundry already I just need to get the Thief taker from Outpost as I Have the rest. I also picked up the Mounted Dragoons from F they have 6 dismounted and one with the smugglers in chains, a nice little touch :D

I need a church and the Inn, then the wood chip wallpaper :mrgreen:

His stuff looks nice on Ebay, but he only takes Paypal and I don't have an account :cry:  
I am also awaiting the Thieftaker from Outpost and that nice figure in a greatcoat with blunderbus :)
I also have the mounted/dismounted dragoons - our projects seem to be a mirror image :lol:
If you are looking for an Inn I saw Sellthatstuffboy has one on Ebay at present.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 12:46:31 PM »
I have a Sellthatstuffboy inn. It's pretty good - but nowhere near as good as that Forgeworld one!

When PMC sold off Total System Scenic, they stopped attending shows. they only now sell through eBay  :(

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 01:52:23 PM »
If anyone is looking for a rollicking good read which has both smugglers AND highwaymen in it, I recommend the "Doctor Syn and the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" stories to you. There are two books, and a collection of short stories to go with it. I didn't know about them before I started writing up Gloire, but it was a great find and I tried to work in some of the ideas into that.

Those stories are set in the post-American Revolution/early Napoleonic period, but there's no reason why you couldn't set them earlier. The Forty-Five Rising is a prime period, for instance, or you could even go earlier and incorporate the great Atlantic pirates of the 1720s into the scene!

If you're looking for an inn, I believe Armorcast 2.0 (run by Ginfritter) has resurrected the fantasy line. The inn isn't a prepaint, but I believe the interior is done.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 02:05:10 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
If anyone is looking for a rollicking good read which has both smugglers AND highwaymen in it, I recommend the "Doctor Syn and the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" stories to you.

Ah, the elusive Dr Syn! I have wondered about him since he was alluded to in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", both he and the Scarecrow, in fact, as members of one of the earlier LoEG. The whole LoEG series is so ripe with references that it is quite a challange to pretend you know exactly to what and whom Mr. Alan Moore is refering. And I always considered googling things as cheating.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 02:19:04 PM »
Googling obscure facts and references is not cheating! You learn what the reference means, you get the joke, you get the little "ah ha!" moment, and then, if you are lucky, it opens up a whole new world of reading for you. How is that cheating? Thirty years ago it would have involved such instruments of torture as the Card Catalog and the Dewey Decimal System and the Stern and Judgmental Librarian Without Hilarity to dig up this information.

Google is the annotation that the editor couldn't be bothered to include.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 02:34:41 PM »
I hope you didn't read that as an insult to you, Pete. I was talking about myself and I was not serious. I portray myself more the idiot than I actually am. This is unnecessary since my spontaneous stupidity is most likely more than adequate. :-)

I am in fact an avid user of Wikipedia and I can hardly watch a movie or read a book with out a laptop at my side. The HBO series "Rome" for example, would not have been half as enjoyable without it.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 02:38:01 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
I was not serious.

Please excuse me. I'm incredibly out of caliber this morning.  :oops:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 02:39:17 PM »
Read the edit of my post. My sincere apologies.