Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:08:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LPL as an excuse to paint more Strange Aeons *Updated: Rig shots! June 16  (Read 9091 times)

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
I used this season's LPL to paint up a few Strange Aeons minis.  It's been nice to have a bit of a break from the pace of the LPL and I finally took some time to get some close-ups. I have posted others in more appropriate threads but these are some new ones:

Round 1: The King in Yellow
One of my favourite minis, the pose is sinister yet simple.  It was very fun to paint; the yellow is built up in layers over a brown undercoat.  The base was matched to the stage scenery built for the entry but here he is by himself:

Round 1: Agent Lovecraft
Another limited edition mini from Uncle Mike.  Agent Lovecraft look on meekly and clutches his book while unspeakable horror unfolds around him.  A great pose with lots of character that really captures the look and essence of HPL himself:

Round 10: Agent with Shotgun
I always liked the look of this model from the first time I saw it; she looks confident yet feminine (and realistically feminine...very rare these days  ;)).  The cigarette in her hand, the shotgun thrown casually over her shoulder, the 1920's style clothing and great sculpting on the skirt fabric gives this model a great look:

LPL Season 4, Round 5: Agent with Dynamite
This Agent was from last year's LPL and has a simple front hand conversion so that he is holding a pistol.  I use him as my Threshold Character in Strange Aeons:

LPL Season 4, Round 9: Civilian (aka Hockey Dad)
All I could think about when I painted this guy for my Hockey Night in Canada, Coach's Corner entry was how much he looked like a cross between a hockey dad, Bill Cosby and Charlie Brown.  I ended up going for a combination with elements from all three:

The Threshold Team assembled:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:24:10 PM by D@rth J@ymZ »
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: LPL as an excuse to paint more Strange Aeons
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
Love the strong colors, the miniatures really pop out of the screen when you look at the pictures.
Awesome skin on the King in Yellow and the grey suit is fantastic!

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
Very nice work!

by realistically feminine I assume you mean she doesn't have beach balls for breasts?
this is probably due to the fact Uncle Mikes sculptor is female  ;)

I really enjoy her work.   
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline nathan

• Librarian
  • Infected by 54mm
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:43:55 PM »
Love the strong colors, the miniatures really pop out of the screen when you look at the pictures.
Awesome skin on the King in Yellow and the grey suit is fantastic!

I agree.  The strong colours really make them pop.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17:57 PM »
Lovecraft looks particularly worried. Great job on these.  :-*

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »
Nice and colourful!! Your painting style is very clean!!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 01:46:33 PM »
I'm not sure I understand why painting more minis should be a relief from... painting minis, but these are nice.  :)

I had to take a break this week from painting SA/VUK models due to 1) too darn hot and damp weather, and 2) an upcoming demo of Song of Blades Saturday at the Child Welfare Days in Svendborg (have to prepare some figs, and some handouts) for youngsters to attend, but the plan is to turn my attention back to it from Sunday or Monday, weather/garden permitting...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
Thanks for all the comments all! 

Here are some close-ups of my Round 9 entry: "At the Mountains of Madness

This entry was very time consuming and was done in several small stages over the course of the LPL due to the shear volume of models I chose to enter in a single entry. There were the 5 members of the ill-fated Miscatonic University expeditionary force, 7 albino penguins, 2 Shoggoths, a dog sled team with a rider and 5 dogs, a plane and the scenery elements (background "mountains", background snow covered "hills", 2 snow covered rock outcroppings and the snowcovered scenery base itself.  I felt that many of them were not necessarily strong enough on their own, yet when combined into a single entry conveyed the atmosphere of the story much better.

The plan is to use the elements of this entry as a Strange Aeons Threshold list. More specifically as a polar-themed arctic/antarctic scenario; maybe a Black Dossier  ;)

Dog Sled Team with Rider:

My dog Luke is the inspiration for the blue-eyed, brown and black haired, husky cross that is leading the dog sled team.

Expedition Plane:

The base for this model is a Lockheed Electra 10e model that I found online. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Model_10_Electra

This plane has a somewhat notorious history as it is the same model of aircraft that gained considerable fame when it was flown by Amelia Earhart on her ill-fated around-the-world expedition in 1937.

I wired up the inside with red LEDs so that the cabin lights up with an eerie red glow (inset, top right). A momentary push button switch mounted to the underside of the plane controls the lights (inset, bottom left). After reassembly, a repaint and a wash of brown to add some dirt, I painted ice/snow on the window edges and the Threshold logo on the cabin door to denote its official Threshold status (inset, top left)

Offline Harwood Hobbies

• Scientist
    • Harwood Hobbies
Awesome looking dog sled team and nice work with the LEDs - not being an overly technical person, these kind of things amaze me!   ;D

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
I loooooooove that idea!

Really well executed. I can only imagine the fun you're going to have with these things.

Ever since I read A.T.M.O.M. I've been wanting to do something similar. I even bought 5 cans of Greedy Wanker snowflock. Just haven't really gotten anywhere from there.  lol

Love the plane too! Sure you can't find out the exact make?
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
Dr. the Viking,

The Lockheed Electra 10 was a New Ray "Sky Pilot" series.
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-168830930-model-kit-new-ray-sky-pilot-lockheed-10-electra-delta-22cm-_JM
(only link I could find)

The model itself is a bit on the small side for 25/28mm but I think it fits rather nicely and is not too noticeable.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:16:45 PM by D@rth J@ymZ »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Doesn't matter when big models are a bit out of scale - they still look awesome on the table, be it as backdrop or active object in the game.

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
A very nice work again!!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
All you stuff is great, but I really dig those sled dogs!  Excellent paint!

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
Here are some of the close ups from the oil rig from Round 10: There Will Be Blood.  I made the base of the rig to be a multifunctional scenic base (CD sized) that can be used to represent:

The wellhead/B.O.P. or a Doomsday Device (Shocking Tales #1, page 16)
Tentacles or a Scene of Horror (Shocking Tales #1, page 27)
A generic scenery piece with height (the whole rig)

There is a magnet mounted in the base so that each of the inserts stay put, yet can still be interchanged easily.  I liked the idea of the oil rig having drilled into something that they shouldn't have and now a tentacled monster/shoggoth/formless thing is unleashed on the unsuspecting crew. The Burrowers Beneath by Brian Lumley was a source of inspiration.

Generic Base with seperate inserts:

Doomsday Device Base:

Scene of Horror Base:

The Derrick:
The Derrick is obviously removable for transport and versatility and was made with the base from a water tower (I used the "tank" as the turrent for my LPL Season 4, Round 10 VSF entry).  The "feet" were added to give the drilling floor the proper height and to create the rig cellar.  The basic frame was covered in coffee stir sticks (pilfered from Starbucks) and the monkey boards created to give models a place to stand at height (one on each side and one at the top).  The skull and the rig sign finished off the details.

The Rig, individual components: (Clockwise from top left)
Base, derrick, catwalk and v-door

The Rig (fully assembled):

Plainview Company Men: inset photo

Citizens of Little Boston: inset photo

Crew Truck:

Crew Truck, driver side:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:04:00 PM by D@rth J@ymZ »