Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Squire Trelawney  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Squire Trelawney
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:15:45 AM »
Thought "Pirate fans" might like to see this one.  BIG picture shows the waistcoat detail.   :)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »
Very nicely done with the waistcoat! But his lower lip looks kind of funny. Was there a bee in his Coke can at the picnic?

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Very nicely done with the waistcoat! But his lower lip looks kind of funny. Was there a bee in his Coke can at the picnic?

I second that, very nice waistcoat. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 01:54:30 AM »
Excellent use of vibrant colours! And the waistcoat - I must agree. Who makes the fig btw?

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:24:17 AM »
very very nice figure  :love:
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:39:10 AM »
Foundry...Wait for it.......... Pete where are you? :lol:

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 08:45:08 AM »
Thanks  :)

The face? I think the sculptor was aiming for a comic touch.  The lower lip is protruding and is up over the bottom lip in an expression of intense concentration.  (I think.)

Quote from: "Chairface"
...Who makes the fig btw?

Foundry.  I did some research - that is, asked on Steve Dean's forum - and learned that it was once a figure in the "Treasure Island" set but was then removed when Foundry reduced the pack size.  Someone on Steve's site suggested that if anyone wanted to buy the figure they could contact Foundry direct to see if it was available.  I bought mine second hand.  (And I will be Ebaying it sometime this month.)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »
Quote from: "Orctrader"
Foundry.  I did some research - that is, asked on Steve Dean's forum - and learned that it was once a figure in the "Treasure Island" set but was then removed when Foundry reduced the pack size.  Someone on Steve's site suggested that if anyone wanted to buy the figure they could contact Foundry direct to see if it was available.  I bought mine second hand.  (And I will be Ebaying it sometime this month.)

See, it's for ridiculous reasons like this that I don't like Foundry. I want to like Foundry! I really do! They've got a tremendous catalog going at any one given point (and usually another 40% more not-listed-but-call-for-details). To be honest, it was Foundry's Darkest Africa line that got me out of the Evil Empire and into historicals. And there were great incentives, like ordering the catalog and getting a voucher for a free pack. Or you could buy "deals" where you paid for six packs and got two extra packs and a special mini for free. They were a great company!

Before the dark times. Before the Empire.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Before the dark times. Before the Empire.

Oh no, I forsee a raft of Star Wars-based "Foundry!!!" pics now he's said that.  :)

I actually still like Foundry, because I have no real experience of the idiotic new Foundry. I pretty much bought everything I wanted from them while they were still a good company, with a couple of exceptions. I have more Foundry stuff than I'll ever paint. It must have been a tremor in the Force that told me there would be dark times ahead, and that I should get what I wanted while the going was still good.

So Foundry still holds an affectionate place in my heart, as I only knew  her when she was still young and pretty, as it were.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 12:42:42 PM »
Yes, they were fab. And yes they still carry some of the very best figures.

They essentially lost my custom (for the most part) when they went from 8 figures for £6.00 to 6 figures for £8.00 - a double whammy of breathtaking insouciance and disrespect for the discretion of their loyal customers. An overnight 85% price rise. Pretty spectacular.

I think they are now at about £11 per pack? Or about £2 per figure, which frankly, honestly, for what they are, I think is way too much.

It's also true to say that for a golden period a few years ago, they had all the best figures, the best tunes, and a lot of the best ideas - like pirates and darkest africa - genres which would never have taken off without Foundry's major push in these areas.

But they made a fatal strategic error. Where wargames sculptors had previously been largely anonymous, Foundry led the way with the cult of the personality sculptor. It was a marketing ploy. In other words, people prepared to pay more because they feel they are getting an artwork with provenance from a named artist, as opposed to a mere commodity.

Predictably enough of course, all their best celebrity sculptors - credentials widely established by the Foundry marketing machine - then departed in a veritable talent exodus to run their own shows. And who can blame them?

Hence, no more Perrys, Copplestones, Owens, Sims, and so on from Foundry, and a lot of their product since then has been - IMHO - quite simply not of the same standard.

So - a lot less good ideas and innovation, lower grade talent (and lower quality products), higher prices... Hmmm. Work it out for yourselves...

Not a happy future I fear, although they still seem to be hanging on in there...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 08:06:17 PM »
I say, Old Chap, I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head!

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Squire Trelawney
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 08:28:01 AM »
Quote from: "Chairface"
...Who makes the fig btw?

Foundry.  I did some research - that is, asked on Steve Dean's forum - and learned that it was once a figure in the "Treasure Island" set but was then removed when Foundry reduced the pack size.  Someone on Steve's site suggested that if anyone wanted to buy the figure they could contact Foundry direct to see if it was available.  I bought mine second hand.  (And I will be Ebaying it sometime this month.)[/quote]

I just got the Treasure Island pack and this figure was included. :)  there were seven figures in total, not all are shown on the website.