Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685055
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 391719 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Round or Square bases?......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM) 11/09
« Reply #1530 on: October 27, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
I rebased all my square based stuff onto round, just so much better

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Round or Square bases?......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM) 11/09
« Reply #1531 on: October 27, 2018, 08:57:50 AM »
Doctor, Captain and Majorsmith, thanks.

certainly it seems there are plenty who do play the game with figs on round bases. Although I guess you may not be commenting with specific reference to Mordheim.

still a bit of question mark over the size of base - guess I am being a bit daft in going with 30mm lipped ones, but think I'll give it a go, and try and keep it reversible if it seems an obvious impediment.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:17:08 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM) 11/09
« Reply #1532 on: October 27, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
I originally posed the question as I think round base look so much better and wondered if it would impede the game in any way.
The answer is 'no' if you play with sensible people.
 ;)

Larger round bases may be prohibitive for the placement of figures, though, especially in the ruined city of Mordheim etc.
 :)

I will, eventually, be rebasing all of my Mordheim figures on round bases, mainly so that they look better but also as they will then match the rest of my collection.
I have already done so with the Beastmen and Kislevites as they now see service in Of Gods and Mortals as well, as Satyrs for the Greeks and Warriors for the Norse.

Some Dwarves also got transferred over to the Norse, for use as Dvergar, at the same time....

Offline MeridarchGekkota

• Bookworm
Re: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)
« Reply #1533 on: October 27, 2018, 11:16:01 AM »
Round bases are the aesthetically superior ones. The only real positive to squares is that there's more space to do basing on.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1534 on: October 27, 2018, 01:00:39 PM »
thanks Mason.

take it you're using 25mm bases?

I think where I might be making a mistake is wanting to use the 30mm roundlipped ones. Just like the look of those even tho' they heighten (literally) the detachment from the terrain (in a way I think that helps, if you're not going the acrylic route).

only people I can find selling 25mm round-lipped are fenris games - they look top quality, but are also relatively expensive compared to what you can get 30mm bases for ...

I originally posed the question as I think round base look so much better and wondered if it would impede the game in any way.
The answer is 'no' if you play with sensible people.
 ;)

Larger round bases may be prohibitive for the placement of figures, though, especially in the ruined city of Mordheim etc.
 :)

I will, eventually, be rebasing all of my Mordheim figures on round bases, mainly so that they look better but also as they will then match the rest of my collection.
I have already done so with the Beastmen and Kislevites as they now see service in Of Gods and Mortals as well, as Satyrs for the Greeks and Warriors for the Norse.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:58:55 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #1535 on: October 27, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »
thanks Mason.

take it you're using 25mm bases?

They are actually more like 26mm as they are two pence pieces,  but the added bonus is that they do only cost two pence each.
 ;)

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #1536 on: October 27, 2018, 08:53:26 PM »
25mm washers can't be that hard to source.
Although when I ran out, I rediscovered the fact that washers are sold according to the dimensions of the interior circle diameter, not the exterior. So I had to keep measuring until I found the right ones. <g>

BTW, I just discovered this thread for the first time and spent two days gazing at the splendor of your scratchbuilt and kitbashed buildings. Simply amazing! I'll have to work hard to come up to your knees, sir, as you are a giant amonst modelers!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1537 on: October 27, 2018, 09:42:52 PM »
25mm washers can't be that hard to source.
Although when I ran out, I rediscovered the fact that washers are sold according to the dimensions of the interior circle diameter, not the exterior. So I had to keep measuring until I found the right ones. <g>

Here in Denmark they have both measurements, for instance Ø5x25mm
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1538 on: October 28, 2018, 11:37:35 AM »
They are actually more like 26mm as they are two pence pieces,  but the added bonus is that they do only cost two pence each.
 ;)

well, turns out that if you clip off the underside of the 'slot' moulding on a 30mm base you can ... fit a 2p piece! so think I'll go that way (most of my figs are plastic for mordheim so could do with a bit of weight) and that way I'll have ... covered all the bases  :D
probably only to find that size of base does cause problems, but think it's an itch that must be scratched.

25mm washers - yes - done 100s of figures for my brother using two stuck together for each figure.
not difficult to source at all (ebay for example) and most sellers give inner dimensions too iirc.
although as you'll struggle to get them for less than 10p a go (I did anyway for decent quality ones), why we didn't go with 2p pieces I have no idea - particularly as the current ones are (?) useable with magnetic sheeting too (and not all washers are - think you need to get galvanised ones) etc.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:12:47 PM by Bloggard »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #1539 on: October 28, 2018, 02:13:43 PM »
And round bases enable figures to be rotated in almost any direction, despite architectural corners!

How do you keep track of front, side, and back arcs where the ruleset makes a distinction, though?

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1540 on: October 28, 2018, 04:21:51 PM »
over to the experienced players - do those factors come into play with Mordheim?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #1541 on: October 28, 2018, 05:44:51 PM »
over to the experienced players - do those factors come into play with Mordheim?

Never when I have played it.
 ;)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #1542 on: December 14, 2018, 01:57:09 PM »
I'm going all round bases from now on when doing skirmish stuff. Its always looked better than square..........its just that back in the day, I always fancied having my mordheim stuff useable in WFB. Not a factor any more really. And I'd just used round base movement trays if it did ever come up.