Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:02:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 391752 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Very nice work, of course.  :)

As for your choice of paints - you really should have a look in a crafts or DIY store and look at the crafts paints. You'd be able to find almost exact matches for all the GW-paints used - and they cost about the double for many times the content, and slightly thinned they behave just as well as model paints.

I never use my small pots for large pieces like terrain and boards - they simply empty out too fast  ;)

I use Windsor and Newton a lot, but there is also other brands out there.
Argonor. I completely agree with you.
I already use cheap craft paint for the undercoat, I even use it for undercoating miniatures. Burnt Umber with a black wash to pick out details. It works perfectly fine.
I started to use this shade of brown with the black wash on miniatures due to my eyesight getting worse.
My binocular vision is suffering so I have trouble picking out depth on a black undercoat, and a white undercoat does not always work for me.
Anyway, I digress, get back to the point, Mason!
I will be looking at the range available at the DIY store or art shop when I start painting the board. I have sixteen square feet to cover if I want to get the board to tie in with the rest of the project, so GW paints are OUT!
In fact some DIY stores can mix you the exact colour that you need so that is another option.

I think I recognise some dolls house furniture in there. ;)
Andym; Yep. Well spotted. There are some 1:48th scale dolls house furniture bits in there. Nice and cheap and fit the scale.
Thanks for sharing, now I will no longer have to steal these from you while you sleep! ;)
Ninja; I can sleep soundly now, and maybe even remove the Styrofoam bars from the windows....and maybe not!!!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
The Green Griffon;

As mentioned in the previous post, this was made one floor at a time.
The ground floor was mostly carved foam with a few resin additions.
This was my first attempt at carving walls from foam and has taught me a fair bit. Mainly to add more detail, depth and variety of shapes in future!
The upper floor was mainly constructed of a cut-up PMC models building.
These are superb for this sort of thing, you just need to add interior detailing. Plus a little dolls-house wallpaper in this example, suitably 'aged' and torn.
The upper floor is simply coffee stirrers cut to the required length.
Other details came from dolls-house furniture, various GW plastic bits and rubble either carved from foam or odd bits from Hirst Arts kits.

Frontal view;

The stairs, bar and bed in this picture are resin pieces. Wall in front of courtyard is GW plastic.
From other angles;

Door piece is resin, also another view of the bar.

Resin barrels and plastic 1:48 dolls house furniture. Ruined wall in bottom right is made from Hirst Arts moulds, mostly for reasons of durability. All the other walls are carved from foam, but this would never stand up to the rigours of gaming.

This side gives a good view of the dolls-house wallpaper used (and 'aged').

Some close-ups of the 'interior'

These two show the resin barrels and more plastic furniture, plus various bits of rubble and coffee stirrer floorboards.

A bit blurry, but you can pick out the Grandfather-clock and a few bits of furniture falling through the floor.

Showing a close-up of the rear wall and a couple of posters stuck on it.
Tristan the Troubadour is one of the Dramatis Personae for hire in the town of Krappefortt.
(He ended up with the unfortunate nickname of the 'Twat' during one game and it has since stuck!)

Hope you like The Green Griffon.........
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:06:24 PM by Mason »

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
The details really make it stand out!  :-*  Love the grandfather clock!  lol

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Very neat building, the Hirst Arts bricks and styrofoam wall sections blend together nicely!

Your posters need a good blackletter font instead of that modern sans-serif font, though! (once upon a time I could expound upon the differences between the various types of blackletter/fraktur/etc fonts, but I find myself slightly less of a typography geek than I once was!)

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
Mason - I think these look rubbish...

Only kidding!  lol It's me, your old erstwhile buddy from the real 'Krappeforrt', as I've finally signed up for the forum.

I have thought your Mordheim terrain is the nuts for some time - and it's as good to play on as it looks. When we gonna have another game again hint, hint? :P

The finishing touches you are putting to it just look awesome.

We need to sort out one of those modelling get togethers we discussed - need to get you to show me the snow basing we discussed for Dust Tactics this morning.

Catch ya soon, fella.

Rob

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Mason - I think these look rubbish...

Only kidding!  lol It's me, your old erstwhile buddy from the real 'Krappeforrt', as I've finally signed up for the forum.

I have thought your Mordheim terrain is the nuts for some time - and it's as good to play on as it looks. When we gonna have another game again hint, hint? :P

Allo, mate!
Got to get the new board finished, but we do need to get a few games in ASAP. Give me a couple of weeks to get the board sorted. I should have done it by now, but real life keeps getting in the way. You know how it is...

Anyway, here's a little taster of what new scenery will be on the board the next time we play.
There was a modular dock system that we had been using, (in fact, Legionnaire Bert fought his final game of the last campaign in the West Docks area of Krappefortt, winning the campaign with his Undead Warband!), but I decided it needed updating to fit in with the new 'look' parts of the town.
All the pieces of scenery that were made after the Temple have been constructed with one thing in mind- Storage!
Having built the Temple and various other sections, storage became a problem. Finding boxes that fit individual pieces of scenery can be tedious, never mind stacking them all in the cupboard!
I came across the answer when I remembered an article written by Roger of the South London Warlords for one of the Salute programmes. He had constructed an amazing Future Wars layout and built it all to be stored in foot-square boxes. Genius!
Get the boxes first and build the scenery to fit.
At work I have access to an almost unlimited supply of paper boxes, the type that A4 paper is transported in, 5 reams to a box. They only go into the recycling, so my claiming them is not a problem.
Henceforth, all the scenery items for Krappefortt are now built on MDF bases measuring 11'' by 8''  thereby all fitting perfectly in one of the boxes and stacking very neatly to boot!
Anyway, back to the scenery.
The Docks, WIP, again modular to enable them to be set up in various configurations. There are five full size pieces and two half size.

First off, the base pieces have been 'carved' out of styrofoam, after a lot of dry assembling of the existing pieces already being used, as I wanted to incorporate as many of these as possible.

These were then undercoated in the cheap Acrylic Burnt Umber that had been used on the Temple sections earlier. You can see markings drawn on the MDF of where the original pieces of the docks will eventually be placed.

After this stage I decided to take Argonor's advice and stop wasting money on GW paints;
Very nice work, of course.  :)

As for your choice of paints - you really should have a look in a crafts or DIY store and look at the crafts paints. You'd be able to find almost exact matches for all the GW-paints used - and they cost about the double for many times the content, and slightly thinned they behave just as well as model paints.

I never use my small pots for large pieces like terrain and boards - they simply empty out too fast  ;)

I use Windsor and Newton a lot, but there is also other brands out there.
I took at trip to the local Art shop and bought some Windsor and Newton Yellow Ochre and Mixing White.
I think the result is pretty much the same. When they are finished and weathered they should blend in just fine.
Thanks, Argonor!
Judge for yourself, here are a few pictures of the dock pieces after being drybrushed up to pure white;

And a couple of close-up shots showing the stonework.

Now to get to work on the water.....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:51:01 PM by Mason »

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
I love the carving job you did for the stone work on those docks!
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
Mason

Mate, you're a nutter! The docks WIP is looking simply stunning again. Joking aside, it is amazing playing Mordheim with a mate who makes scenery to a professional standard - I feel very, very lucky. Can't wait till we play again - the dwarves (that's 'ves'. GW, not 'fs'!) will be ready to scamper over as fast as their short, fat hairy legs can carry them!

Keep up the good work -when are you starting that model making sideline? ;)

Bertie

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Mason
 Can't wait till we play again - the dwarves (that's 'ves'. GW, not 'fs'!) will be ready to scamper over as fast as their short, fat hairy legs can carry them!

Bertie

You had better get those inflatable bladders out ready then, mate, 'coz Dwarves dont float too well!
(Except for the plastic ones, of course!)
Better watch it with the Miner, too. You dont want to dig a nice tunnel, just to pop up in the drink lol lol
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:34:56 PM by Mason »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
No major breakthroughs in a modelling sense, but did manage to get my boards yesterday.
Should get them assembled a painted in the next week and could then get some pics posted of a game set-up, or;
Really very nice.

And now some pics of the whole ensemble together?  :D

the whole 'ensemble' of the 'church', maybe.......

Well the whole 'ensemble' as is. I have since found the pews, pulpit and altar, and have finally worked out how I am going to make the main entrance section, so the Temple is growing (at least in my head!).
Add to that the Docks, Slums, Undertakers etc that is all WIP I may get the town finished in this lifetime...........

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
I envy your abilities, these are great. Thanks for the posts, keep them coming!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The ruined town of Krappefortt. (Alt. Mordheim setting) Updated 03/08/11
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:11 AM »
At Last!

Finally got the board finished!

Didnt take too long, about three hours in all. Probably helped by the insanely warm weather we have had in the UK in the last few days. Drying time has been almost non-existent!

Basically it's a four foot square MDF board with a couple of lengths of wood screwed onto the bottom to hold it in place on top of the table.
I was going to buy one of the lovely, snazzy mats from Zuzzy;
http://www.zuzzy.com/sw-fg-001-flagston-paven-gaming-mat.html

But, seeing as how funds are pretty limited at the moment, went for a cheaper option.
Covered it in textured wallpaper instead, (£4 a roll from Homebase!).
Moved it around a lit before it dried and ripped a few sections out for variety.
Then the usual drybrushing from Burnt Umber, through Yellow Ochre and up to white.
A little bit of static grass, again drybrushed, and 'Bob's Your Uncle!'

Easy, cheap, textured board for a fraction of the price.
I think it works quite well for medieval city streets, but equally well for any rough terrain called for.

A few pictures of the board with the finished parts of the Temple on it.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: The ruined town of Krappefortt. (Alt Mordheim setting) Updated 03/08/11
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
Absolutely splendid!

Have to remember the yellow ochre/white recipe. I usully use another pre-made W&N 'bone' colour that I cannot remember the proper name of, but variation is nice - even to break up the colour on a large piece.

The idea with the wallpaper is nice - did you make the 'ripples' run in approximately the same direction on purpose, or was it just the way the wet paper behaved? (Looks fine, I just wondered if there's a plan behind it - and I found a supplier of that kind of wallpaper nearby a couple of months ago)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »
Beautiful work!  I would love to play on that table.

Also, I love the skaven assassin leaping from the barrel (first page) - excellent pose.

Thanks for sharing, Mason.  Very inspirational.

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Mason

Top work, mate! Can't wait to have a game or two in a week's time. I see what you mean about the pics making the colour come out funny - will have to see the board 'in person' to get the full effect methinks. Top effort, mate - can't wait to give the dwarfs a run out on it. (I've painted a few new additions since last we palyed - repalced the small crossbowmen for some bigger GW plastics).

I owe ya for that handgun explosion from last time...

lol

Bert