Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lemax wharf  (Read 7169 times)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Lemax wharf
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 08:25:04 AM »
Not wishing to put a downer on these, but they don't look like anything you couldn't do a better job of making with balsa wood?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Lemax wharf
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 10:03:13 AM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
THey look great, ideal for minis but that postage even form europe is wildly OTT

They charge $92 P&P for that junk? I will make that dock and much better looking for anyone asking for half that price, shipping included within the EU.

Offline Troll

• Librarian
Lemax wharf
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 02:57:10 PM »
There is no way I would pay $92 for anything Lemax makes.

For me it is easier to buy something rather than make it, and I happen to live in the US where you can find this stuff cheap on clearance sales. So, for me at least it is a viable option. YMMV. :)
"If there is a universal mind must it be sane?" Charles Fort

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lemax wharfs
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 06:45:34 AM »
So do we know which ones are 28mm scale? Here in Oz we don't have distributors (or they are on the other  side of the country and charge a fortune), so I hunted Ebay & found some but I would like to know which ones fit the scale. Looking mostly at docks, jetties, moorings etc for Pirate games.

Quote from: "Troll"
The docks are made of wood and although I haven't tried to cut them I don't see as how that would be a problem.

Scale is an issue with anything from Lemax. Some of the stuff works well with 28-30mm, the docks, many of the graveyard accessories, and some of the buildings. However, much of stuff is either too large or too small for 28-30mm. The firures for instance are all way too big for 28-30mm and some of the buildings are too small.

I posted a photo in the Gothic Horror Forum Dixie Culpepper and the Alford Mansion that shows a 28mm Pulp Figure with the Lemax Alford Mansion from thier Spooky Town line. I will try to get a photo of the wharf with some figures posted tonight.

Hope this helps,
Troll
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
Lemax wharf
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 12:27:32 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
Not wishing to put a downer on these, but they don't look like anything you couldn't do a better job of making with balsa wood?

That's true.  The only thing the Lemax terrain stuff has going for it is that (for us in the states anyway) it's decent looking, it's avaliable, and it's cheap.  
It's not nice enough to spend a fortune on, nor is it something worth spending a lot of time hunting.

As a side note, the People figures are darn close to 54mm, so they make excellent civilians for western games if you game in that scale.
- Scott

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lemax wharfs
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 03:43:08 AM »
Well, I took the plunge on Ebay & bought 2 of the Wharfs/jetties/docks and they arrived today. They are made of wood, very light & with some plastic fittings such as fenders which need to be removed. I also got 2 bonus mooring pieces which fit in nicely as well. There are birds sitting on post tops etc which are way too large but can easily be removed.

They should fit nicely as scenery when we get our LOTHS games going here. One other club member has purchased the book, another is considering it and several are planning Pirate crews. Some time ago one of our guys made a massive effort to produce Pirate era buildings, so we already have access to those (about 6-10 buildings IIRC inc the Gary Chalk church and several adobe houses).

I'm in the process of converting 2 Pressman games Weapons & Warriors Pirate Brigs to dhows for use in both LOTHS & In the Heart of Africa. Realised after I had started that I should have taken pics of before & after but as the second one is still pristine, I will do retro pics & post later on.