Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:53:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Kurt Eggers" Kriegsberichter Company  (Read 6401 times)

Offline panzerfaust200

• Librarian
    • http://theguild.informe.com/index.php
Re: "Kurt Eggers" Kriegsberichter Company
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 01:33:53 PM »
No comments regarding your choise of waffenfarbe for the crown of the schirmutze so far,

the cap is based upon the illustration in the MAA404 title "The Waffen-SS (2)" on plate F (illustration F3) by Stepehen Andrews - based on conversations with him i know he only bases his work on photos and veteran conversations... so that's good enough for me!  ;)

oh, and its lemon yellow for signals... 8)

Offline panzerfaust200

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »
Cracking job.
any chance of a run through of how you do your bases. where do you get the ferns?

Ferns are etched brass... these ones came from Hasslefree Miniatures IIRC?

base is simply acrylic gel medium with stones and sand... painted once dry, then drybrushed.
i always use a mixture of grasses to create some variation in height, on this model there are two sorts of static grass (my own blends of commercial products to get the colour i wanted) and two sets two colour tufts - in two different heights iirc - oh and a chpped foam ground scatter too!

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 12:39:49 AM »
the cap is based upon the illustration in the MAA404 title "The Waffen-SS (2)" on plate F (illustration F3) by Stepehen Andrews - based on conversations with him i know he only bases his work on photos and veteran conversations... so that's good enough for me!  ;)

oh, and its lemon yellow for signals... 8)

Heya, it was not my point to nitpick or complain, it was mearly fantastic that this didnt cause a discussion, it does, I can assure you, on most WWII forums, be it modelling, 1/6 scale figures or what ever related to people with a anal obsession of details of the WWII german uniforms (like my self).
Name dropping ehh? I will call your cards and raise with Ron Volstad (It is naturally depending on the current value of Illustrators as historical references).
I am just being silly. I encourage the use of waffenfarbe, so did the SS Higher Command, per orders 10 Maj 1940 (it was to be completed at 31 December the same year), since the original SSVT used the traditional white of the infantry, they opted to go for the army style of coloured piping. Hence they choose the colours readily available and used for shoulder boards, same goes for the crown seams and band edges of the service caps where to have the same coloured piping. However, and this is where you and I stop agreeing with the SS Higer Command, they issued another order the 5 of November 1940, withdrawing the permission of differentiating waffenfarbe, and was once again back to the white colour.
There are of course lots and lots of examples of WSS personel that didnt follow this order, or much of the regulation orders over all, Brigadeführer Kurt Meyer comes to mind along with others of the same outfit, Sturmbannführer Max Wünsche (who consequently wore the special panzer uniform with pink piping late in the war) et al.
Hence, I dare to claim that most of the pictures you will find, or references from veterans, will tell you that white was a very dominant colour amongst the personel of the WSS that used waffenfarbe on their uniforms. Blinking smiley or not.

Oh, I never said anything about the waffenfarbe for Signal troops was not Citronengelb, I just took cavalry units as an exampel as a stubborn branch of the armed forces. Typically cavalry units retained many of their cavalry traditions, including ranks and the use of waffenfarbe. Same in the artillerie and panzer units.  ;)
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline panzerfaust200

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 01:31:12 AM »
For every rule there will be an exception... You only have to look at the confusion over stug units uniforms, I have one pic somewhere where every variation of black and grey panzerwrap both with and without skulls and litzen collar patches (both piped red and confusingly pink) all from the same Heer unit....
While White piping on service caps for wss officers was as you say very common, there are examples of exceptions! ;)

However, I don't think it's that great a debating point here, as it's not that anal here, so I think it best we leave this topic to folk on other more suitable forums who enjoy that kind of thing  lol
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:37:22 AM by panzerfaust200 »

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
For every rule there will be an exception... You only have to look at the confusion over stug units uniforms, I have one pic somewhere where every variation of black and grey panzerwrap both with and without skulls and litzen collar patches (both piped red and confusingly pink) all from the same Heer unit....
While White piping on service caps for wss officers was as you say very common, there are examples of exceptions! ;)

However, I don't think it's that great a debating point here, as it's not that anal here, so I think it best we leave this topic to folk on other more suitable forums who enjoy that kind of thing  lol

Hehe, I agree with about everything you are saying in the above post. Esepcially the Stug units, it is not even worth trying to be coherent when modeling or making 1/6 scale figures, but rather go for what you like and what you think is a good representation of the historical picture that one want to display.
I would even go further, to actually defend your yellow piping by adding the same facts and oppinions on about every group photo of the SSVT and WSS in combat enviroment, and even any frontline duty picture. To make it even more strange, WSS allowed peaked service caps for frontline NCOs, and many had waffenfarbe, and really tried to keep their pre WSS caps during the rest of the war. Despite common belive, the SS where a much more laid back organisation in reallity when it came to these things, along with a encouraged Officer / non commissioned personel friendship, and as I wrote earlier, Brigadeführer Kurt Meyer really must be mentioned again. In most pictures, he use a army belt, wrapped the wrong way, army style nco cap with ss metal insignia, no regluation medals or at the wrong place, and this he could be wearing with any kind of uniform (privately made camo uniform or standard officer walking out dress etc), even while being forced to attend to a foreign visit by high rank officers :D

So with this in mind, I wasnt joking when I said that I more often use waffenfarbe after branch than the regulation white, since it looks smashing! :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:33:09 AM by Galland »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
Lovely vignette.............  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'