Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690801
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Coaches  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Coaches
« on: November 06, 2007, 10:12:51 PM »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Coaches
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:20:44 PM »
Hmmm...
Been looking at those Blue Moon ads in Wargames Illustrated.
Can't make my mind up. Are the figures crude, or is it just the way they're painted?
Anyone invested in any of this range yet?
Some of the figures look a bit squiffy to me... I love the big bold idea and ambitious scope of the ranges, most of which could have been tailor made for the denizens of this forum.
But I have my doubts about the quality of the execution from the pics I've seen so far...
Somebody want to say they're better in the flesh? (Well, in the lead... )

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Coaches
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:24:45 PM »
Something don't look right about that coach. It seems to be shrinking from the back end.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Coaches
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »
I've seen some of the figures, mainly the Victorian sculpts though, but not the coach.
They are usually on the Old Glory stand at shows in the UK, so it may be worth going to a show just to check them out. Provided Old Glory are there of course. (But don't mention Hattie Jacques and Jimmy Krankie - unless you are very broad minded)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Coaches
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:31:41 AM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
Hmmm...
Been looking at those Blue Moon ads in Wargames Illustrated.
Can't make my mind up. Are the figures crude, or is it just the way they're painted?
Some of the figures look a bit squiffy to me... I love the big bold idea and ambitious scope of the ranges, most of which could have been tailor made for the denizens of this forum.
But I have my doubts about the quality of the execution from the pics I've seen so far...

I have to agree with you on this one. That coach also looks like it has collapsed in the middle under the weight of those passengers. Not sure I willbe rushing to buy this.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Coaches
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Something don't look right about that coach. It seems to be shrinking from the back end.

It's because its a 18th century Hot Rod. Those babies were real wench magnets if you let them burn some gravel by the tavern.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Coaches
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:01:04 PM »
You know, if I'm not mistaken it's Michaels craft stores that sells cheap clear plastic coaches of te right size (but with bad horses) that you can ususally find on ebay. You could probably get a dozen of them for the price of a metal one, with lots of converting potential.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Coaches
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »
Quote from: "fastolfrus"
I've seen some of the figures, mainly the Victorian sculpts though, but not the coach.
They are usually on the Old Glory stand at shows in the UK, so it may be worth going to a show just to check them out. Provided Old Glory are there of course. (But don't mention Hattie Jacques and Jimmy Krankie - unless you are very broad minded)

Thanks. OG are usually at Warfare in Reading, so I'll check 'em out there next weekend and report back!

I'm sorry, but Hattie Jacques and Jimmy Crankie are lost on me!

Are we saying look out for a big fat matron and a little squeaky 53 year old transvestite Scottish schoolboy behind the Old Glory stand?  :lol:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Coaches
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 09:17:21 AM »
Quote from: "white knight"
You know, if I'm not mistaken it's Michaels craft stores that sells cheap clear plastic coaches of te right size (but with bad horses) that you can ususally find on ebay. You could probably get a dozen of them for the price of a metal one, with lots of converting potential.

And here's an ebay link to them. The same seller has them in clear plastic, gold and silver. I've been told they go well with 28mm and that the roof comes off and you can put the Eureka 18th century seated figures in.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Coaches
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 10:49:53 AM »
Quote from: "fastolfrus"

Thanks. OG are usually at Warfare in Reading, so I'll check 'em out there next weekend and report back!

I'm sorry, but Hattie Jacques and Jimmy Crankie are lost on me!

Are we saying look out for a big fat matron and a little squeaky 53 year old transvestite Scottish schoolboy behind the Old Glory stand?  :lol:

I had heard OG wouldnt be there (I need to check the site) allegedly because thery dont like standing in a hall smelling of Plimpsoles and pee :lol:

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
Coaches
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 01:10:30 AM »
I saw the model at Fall-in and it's pretty good, but the back hangs lower than the front.  Is that a model issue or did coaches in the 1600's look like that?

Joey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Coaches
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 11:56:47 AM »
Hmmm...

Hi folks, longtime lurker, first-time poster, fresh over from Frothers, so I'll behave, I promise.  :oops:

Captain, I have invested in some of the Blue Moon figures, I got the Mummy scenario box a few months back. The painting on the box art and the promo photos does no justice to the figs themselves, which are quite nice.

I find they scale up nicely with West Wind and Copplestone, although they are slightly cruder (and slimmer) than the latter. Out of the 12 figs in the box, I think there's only one that I don't really like in the lead.  

One word of advice, don't buy them if you don't like cleaning off flash and mould lines, as the ones I got were awful for them. I don't know who does their quality control, but they need shot. Out of a cannon. Into the sun.

They clean up ok, but it is a royal pain the you know where to do. Be warned. I can't speak for the new ranges, but the ones I have are worth getting if you're prepared to do a bit of extra prep work on them.

Cheers.

JB

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Coaches
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 11:13:55 PM »
Ah. Thanks for the insights JB. Very useful advice. I do hate badly cast figures I must admit. One of the reasons I like Bicorne's figures so much is that they have virtually no flash. On some, you can't even see the mould lines. Sigh. Lovely.

But I might try a box of the Blue Moon Woodland Indians. I have about 80  from Redoubt, but (like pirates) you can never have too many Woodland Indians in my experience...  :wink:

By the way, I love your location, 'not quite Scotland'...

So is that Cumbria / Northumberland or Norway? :mrgreen:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Coaches
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 11:20:47 PM »
By the way, I love your location, 'not quite Scotland'...

So is that Cumbria / Northumberland or Norway? :mrgreen:[/quote]

JollyBob another North Easterner perhaps? welcome aboard :D

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Coaches
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 09:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the welcome chaps. I'm in West Cumbria, God's Own A***hole.

Glad to be of help Captain.