Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: British Troops in home service uniforms  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
British Troops in home service uniforms
« on: November 08, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »
Sometime ago someone was asking if these were available in 28mm. At the time the only ones I knew about were by Redoubt Enterprises and they only produced infantry and artillery.  :)

It now appears HLBSC have re-released their entire range of British troops for 1870 - 1914 in home service uniforms. This includes units such as the household cavalry(the famous life guards/the blues and royals), hussars, lancers and infantry units such as Guards in busbys, glengarry caps etc. :)

I have just received a sample of a household cavalry trooper. He is mounted on a stationary horse and has a shouldered sabre. The figure is on the small side of 28mm.The quality is not as good as say Artizan, or Copplestone, but should paint up very well. I have not seen the infantry figures, so cannot comment on those.

I shall definately be purchasing some cavalry. If you are interested in any of these they are not yet listed on their website. A phone call will provide you with a list of what is available.
http://www.hlbs.co.uk/
 :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 01:05:13 PM »
Great news, I had once planned on an Assasinatin of Q Vic whilst watching Pig tickler game, these figure were planned to be the guards to foil the terrorists. I collected all sorts but the above stopped being made, so I abandoned it and sold everything off :cry:

Good to hear they are back...though I cant get those Yukon figures out of my head :mrgreen: ...if I just bought a couple of sleds form Copplestone, perhaps a bear or two...oh those inuits would be nice to go with it and expand a bit...I could use some Ice age creatures for a pulp feel...ohoh Pulp have one or two Yukon guys too  STOP..... :D

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:34:03 PM »
By strange coincidence I am in the final stages of finishing off my first unit of these out of production Wesex Games figures:

I am just finishing off this  first unit of 10 figures, with 2 more units ready to be started (one more in Home Service helmets and a unit of Guards in busbys). Although they are more cariciture than true likenesses, I prefer these to the tall Redoubt Home Service figures as they scale in better with the likes of Westwind, Eureka and Foundry. The 5th figure is from Eureka for scale comparison.

Sorry about the poor photos - I did a quick shoot as soon as I saw this posting without waiting to get good lighting. I will do some better shots after I finish a couple of final details on the figures.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
Nice figures Sir Henry, Looking forward to seeing the guards in busbys. I am about to order my first unit of Household cavalry, but can't decide whether to paint them as Life Guards or blues and Royals. Perhaps I should get two units and then it won't be an issue :)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:16:20 PM »
Looking good Bullshot!

Malamute, you can't go wrong with 2 units  :mrgreen:

Offline nickinsomerset

• Librarian
HLBS Home Service Brits
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 07:21:02 PM »
I have just finished a job lot from ebay, Fusiliers, Rifles, Chip hat and Helmet. All marching stoll with rifle shouldered. Not bad figures they join my Guard Unit. I also have a unit of Household Cavalry painted as 2nd Life Guard as the Officers Shabraque is rounded.

I shall get some phots done when they are varnished.

Waiting for the Helion and Co Prussians which should be out this month, it will be interesting to see how they match with Foundry, feel Franco Prussian armies comming on!

Tally Ho!

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 02:29:18 PM »
Has anyone any pictures of the HLBSC figures that they could post.?

Offline nickinsomerset

• Librarian
HLBS British Home Service Dress
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 10:03:35 AM »
I have 10 units, Guard, Fusiliers, Rifles, Line (Helmet and Chip Hat) But cannot find my camera charging lead! As soon as I do I shall endevour to get some phots,

Tally Ho!

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »
Excellent - hope you can find the lead soon!

Thank you

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »
Here is a squad of Redoubt figures with an officer from Baker Co. :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »
Those Redoubts are very nice figures. I might have to get a platoon as close protection for her Majesty [Gaud bless 'er!] when she goes a-visiting her subjects in her vast Empire  :)

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
Victorian British Home Service Troops
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum, and am therefore digging through all sorts of older threads.  I've enjoyed the threads about British HS figures, as I've been putting together an Operation Sealion: 1889 game since what seems like the dawn of time.  I feel like I've found some kindred spirits here, in that I've never seen so much discussion of HS troops in one place!

Anywhoo, here's what I can bring to the party.  AFAIK, here is a list of all makers of Victorian British Home Service troops in 28-30mm:

HLBS
Arguably the best selection, albeit shy highlanders, artillery & some of the more rare uniform combinations (i.e. Royal Scots).  Very nice cavalry, but limited to four different horses all in the same pose: sheepskin for troopers, rounded or pointed shabraque for officers, and lion/leopard skin for Majors and above.

Ironclad Miniatures
Just saw their greens, and they look like wonderful figures!  At minimum, they're releasing Guards & Line Infantry.  Here's hoping we see Highlanders as well! (added 3/27)

Little Lead Soldiers
For years I have been trying to track down the molds for the old Phoenix Model Developments Parade Series.  These were 30mm (actually, they fit in just fine with most 28mm lines) bands & marching troops in dress uniforms, as well as HHC and RHA.  At last years Chicago Toy Soldier Show, I found a dealer selling a set of painted figs that clearly came from the Phoenix molds.  I contacted the company, and found that most of the old Phoenix figures are available.

RAFM
If you play a bit earlier in the period than I do, RAFM’s Riel Rebellion line has some nice HS figures, albeit armed with Sniders, and only a few poses.  Also, their Space: 1889 “Soldiers Of The Queen”, are beautiful figures, which make lovely HS troops when given a proper spiked helmet via head-swap.  I ordered a batch of spiked helmeted-heads from their Riel Rebellion line, and swapped them out myself.  The only warning I’ll share is that the heads are a bit thin, since they were mastered from a production model.  Once mounted, though, they look just fine.

Redoubt
Lovely sculpts, but like most of their lines HUGE.  Limited to Infantry & Artillery crews, and beware, their artillery crew are wearing helmets with infantry-style spikes, not the correct balls.

Scarlet and Gold
Modern Guards, including marching & attention, plus band and some ceremonial vignettes.  I corresponded with Richard last year about commissioning period versions of his marching infantry.  At the time, he didn't seem interested, but it appears he had second thoughts.  I'll be interested to see if he adds poses beyond "present arms" in Slade-Wallace equipment.

Tradition
The old Stadden 30mm figures are still available, if a bit hard to find.  Cleverly hidden among the Indian Army c. 1897 figures, they have a few line infantry figures, Band and Corps of Drums in HS uniform.  Note; these are SLIM 30mm figures, and probably will not play well with most of today’s 28mm ones.  YMMV.

Tradition also carries the Holger Eriksson 30mm Model Soldier line, which includes Guards & HHC.  These are more to scale than the Stadden figures, but the detail is very flat compared to modern figures.

Wessex
I couldn't find the HS figs on his website, but the last time I looked, Steve still had these available.  Brigade Games still lists them, though.  Fun figures, with a bit more of a VSF feel to them.  Guards, Line Infantry & Rifles (in helmet).

That’s all that I’m aware of.  One of these days I’m going to blog my Sealion: 1889 project, and you can all see just how slow I really am!

-Tommy Boyd
-Tommy

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 10:17:33 PM »
Welcome to Lead Adventures Tommy.  Its good to have another member interested in VAF, particularly British Home Service types.