Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:43:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rude? Not for faint of heart!  (Read 6597 times)

Offline Bhoritz

• Student
    • http://www.gwindel.eu/Fugitur_Tempus_inc.html
Rude? Not for faint of heart!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 09:51:07 PM »
I did found it fairly mysoginistic, but not really more than the pulps versions (and not any  more than a classic Conan or John Carter representation with a semi naked woman at his feet). That's an old cultural representation that, I suppose, anybody can take now as caricatural; so I was not upset.

Quote from: "Neldoreth"
... Or the goat was an Irish republican and the girl was an Irish freedom fighter...

There is something I am missing here (but I am not irish or british); I tought that the republicans were the freedom fighters (I suppose that means revolutionnaries) against governemental forces?
-Spirituality is a crime against Humanity-

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »
Depends whose side you're on as to who are the freedom fighters.

There are/were paramilitary forces (or terrorists, if you prefer) on both sides. Ask the UVF and they would tell you that they were the freedom fighters, fighting for freedom from Roman Catholic tyranny.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bhoritz

• Student
    • http://www.gwindel.eu/Fugitur_Tempus_inc.html
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Sorry, I just thought "freedom fighters" as anti-government forces, not as a real political statement. :?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 10:38:37 PM »
Hey, no need to say sorry. :)  It's a complicated situation. I don't endorse the UVF (or anybody else in that conflict), just pointing out that it depends who you talk to as to who the "freedom fighters" are.

The phrasing in the bit you quote does seem a little odd, I'll admit. Generally, as you say, most people (outside the UK at least) tend to think of the Republican/Nationalist side as the freedom fighters rather than the Unionist/Loyalist side, because they are fighting against a government.

I wonder if many people in the wider world even know that there were paramilitaries on both sides, and it was not just Govt vs. insurgents?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 11:33:12 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

I wonder if many people in the wider world even know that there were paramilitaries on both sides, and it was not just Govt vs. insurgents?

Isn't that common knowledge? I certainly thought the ganstrification of the IRA and the Unionists, what with the blackmail, drugdealing, murders of their own, would speak for itself.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 11:38:48 PM »
Me too, but I don't know what the news media in other countries say about things here.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 12:02:01 AM »
I screwed up, it should have read Black and Tans and Irish freedom refighters/republicans! I guess in my fit of passion I briefly lost my mind!

Free Ireland!

Of course, I am talking about the Irish fight for freedom in the 20s and the civil war... I have no real knowledge of the current situation unfortunately. You guys are right, media outside of Ireland and the UK is sorely lacking.... Just like that of other occupations like Palestine and Tibet and so on...\

n.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 09:26:46 AM »
Coming late to the show, with the pictures gone, I must admit to being curious as to what all the fuss is about?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 11:09:10 AM »
Darquebus removed them on his own accord. Reading the posts I don't think anyone tried to censure him. I am sure I didn't. Perhaps he could send you some pictures in a plain envelope with a discrete sender adress. ;-)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
The phrasing in the bit you quote does seem a little odd, I'll admit. Generally, as you say, most people (outside the UK at least) tend to think of the Republican/Nationalist side as the freedom fighters rather than the Unionist/Loyalist side, because they are fighting against a government.

I wonder if many people in the wider world even know that there were paramilitaries on both sides, and it was not just Govt vs. insurgents?[/quote]

There a splinter groups and still "bitter enders" abd diehards from both factions and organised crime, protection rackets, drugs etc abound. It is no different in the republic with Provisionals running businesses there and causng the Garda grief