Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:39:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Old Glory" Victorian Warehouse finally painted  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
"Old Glory" Victorian Warehouse finally painted
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:54:37 PM »
I bought this monster about 18 months ago on an impulse buy. I left it this long to paint it because I've always felt a little disappointed by it. It cost BIG BUCKS and I was expecting a first class kit..... Instead I got a kit that doesn't fit together right ( it's in layers and the second layer is badly twisted) and a strange mixture of brick and block-work which doesn't look right ( which i painted all the same colour to try and mask)

I'm pretty pleased with it but could have saved a lot of money building my own!!!

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: "Old Glory" Victorian Warehouse finally painted
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »
You have made a good job out of it.  :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »
Bravo! yes superb work my friend! This is one of the best jobs on a building I have seen in a while! The brick work is first class! I have to ask and hope you'll tell "did you paint the cracks / mortar lines first or go back and do them?" That a lot of work and most people don't so it.

I hear you when you cry about being disappointed when receiving "Big bucks kits" and find them mis-shapen and utterly disappointing!!! I have suffered through that one many time and expect to again! I did a VSF flying boat from "Scheltrum" and tossed 90% of the kit away! Check out my current "re-build" the Japanese Castle here at http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=31819.0

By the way if you don't mind what did you pay?

Bill

Offline Nighthawk

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:04:12 PM »
Bought it from Old Glory eh? Doesn't surprise me. I've never had any luck with them.  >:(
Great looking job on the finished product though  :)

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »
You've made an excellent job of what you got. In real life, I've seen more than one large old building that has uneven, bowed or even leaning walls, due to poor building practices or subsidence, so you have a ready excuse for any faults that may be apparent.  ;)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »
Who says you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse?

Judging by the quality your previous work, I think you're right about building your own next time. :)

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
That's a damn good job - it looks great! You've got the brick-and-mortar painting down to a fine art at this point, and the warehouse is going to fit in very neatly with all your other buildings. The signage is really nice, the doors are great, and the windows are superb! I like how you picked out the decorative piece on the front in a creamy coloured stone - it really makes the whole thing pop! Wonderful stuff.
p.s I like the loading platform at the side too.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani