Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:30:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689241
  • Total Topics: 118265
  • Online Today: 526
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: War of the Roses figures  (Read 4185 times)

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
War of the Roses figures
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:14:18 PM »
Perry, Essex, Front Rank, Crusader, Old Glory and Foundry all make figures for this but how compatible are they with each other? also does anyone else make 28mm figures
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: War of the Roses figures
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:34:38 PM »
The older Foundry figures scale up ok with the Perry, because they sculpted them, although you may find them slighter and possibly shorter in some instances. I use them together, but then I like a bit of variety in my stuff.

I haven't had any of the new Foundry WOTR figures in hand because they look like monkey armed fugsters on the website.

Front Rank are about 1/4 bigger than the Perry stuff, and do not mix well unless you want a specific character figure to stand out from the rank and file.

Old Glory are much the same size as the older Foundry sculpts, but very much cruder, and aside from the rather useful artillery crew I have binned all mine in favour of the Perrys. Also, the usual caveats apply about inconsistent moulding quality.

Haven't had any Essex or Crusader so can't comment on them, but the Crusader look like nicer figures to me if that carries any weight.

For what it's worth, I'd stick to Perry all the way, and bulk them out with (old) Foundry if I had to.  :)

EDIT: Have a look on here for how I've used some together recently:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=31935.msg377859#new
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:37:47 PM by JollyBob »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: War of the Roses figures
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:16 AM »
Renegade is now producing WotR figures. I have not seen them in person, though.

http://www.renegademiniatures.com

Mirliton sells some of the old Grenadier figures which are essentially 15th century medievals. Venexia has also added a few figures. 

http://www.vexillia.ltd.uk/index.html

Crusader are a mixed bunch in terms of size. The cavalry are larger, with big horses. They look OK with Front Rank. The infantry, on the other hand, are leaner/thinner than Front Rank. The Crusader are nicely sculpted, but they don't look like the rest of the brand. When I bought them, I believe they were being sold by Corvus Belli.

I had some spare Front Rank command figures and was going to mix them in with units of Old Glory figures, but they looked out of place.

Here's a pic of a couple brands of cavalry (not all WotR, I realize, but should give some idea of comparison.) The Old Glory cavalry are at the small end of the scale, no larger than the Foundry.

A few infantry -- again, I realize they aren't WotR, but they are a good indicator of sizes: