Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:01:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old school D&D - August 25 - Pig-face Orc Shaman  (Read 86561 times)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
Re: Spooktalker's old school D&D
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »
Fantastic game table. I get a real good vibe from that thief model as well. Really nice paintjobs!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 11:01:28 PM »
Those Mushmen look really sinister - great stuff!

Nice dungeon too.  8)

I find too myself lingering over the preslotta stuff on ebay more and more - there's some great old minis out there...

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:48:52 AM »
That is a lot of nice stuff!

I completly agree about the prices. New stuff is just as (if not more) expensive. Though seeing all this nice old models gives me a nostalgic feeling as well and want to make me go through my lead pile. Sadly most of the lead pile isstored in boxes beacuse I'm moving soon :(

anyhow, really enjoying your pictures. Keep 'm coming!
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 06:52:58 AM »
Awesome figs.  :)
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 01:15:14 AM »
Thanks, abhorsen, Thantsants, Braxandur and General Roos!

@Glenn: Yep, there's a line somewhere, but if I gross some players out more's the better and I don't mind finding that line or going over a tad!  :) I'm mild-mannered/button-down 9-5 and gaming is a means to indulge the id/ let out inner kid / play it loud and loose.  ;D

I completly agree about the prices. New stuff is just as (if not more) expensive. Though seeing all this nice old models gives me a nostalgic feeling as well and want to make me go through my lead pile. Sadly most of the lead pile isstored in boxes beacuse I'm moving soon :(

anyhow, really enjoying your pictures. Keep 'm coming!

Thanks man! Yeah, you know I buy way too much on ebay and so I have a good data sample to work with when I say I get most of my 25mm  lead for between 60% and 80% percent less than comparable 28mm figures. Yes, 3-5 TIMES cheaper.  :o Humans 50 cents to $2 each with an average less than $1 and large monsters for $4-12 (hard to guess the average here as monsters are all over the place).

Ok, here are some more.

Love this shambling mound here, straight out of the Monster Manual:

Painted 2009. Grenadier Miniatures code 2010B shambling mound from the Denizens of the Swamp box set, part of the official AD&D "Solid Gold" line. 1980.
(Oh, and every monster I photograph will have a human for scale reference like the last pic. You're welcome!  :D)

Grenadier Female Fighter:

Painted 2009. Grenadier Miniatures Code 5001M Female Fighter from the Dungeon Explorers box set, part of the Official AD&D "Solid Gold" line. 1980.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:28:40 AM by Spooktalker »

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 02:25:36 AM »
I'm moving soon

Just want to add good luck with the move and I hope you get to unpack some figs sooner than later!

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 07:33:21 AM »
Just want to add good luck with the move and I hope you get to unpack some figs sooner than later!

Thanks!

I really look forward to the moment that I can unpack them. Especially since this is the first time that there is going to be a dedicated hobby room :)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »
Love the new models that are up. Excellent work mate!

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:07 PM »
Excellent work.  I'm in the process of painting some of those same Grenadier figures.  (Actually repainting from when I originally painted them as a grade schooler.) 

Looking forward to seeing more of our work.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »
Thanks abhorsen950 and m4jumbo! m4jumbo, I checked out your old west thread--it's fantastic! Look forward to seeing your Grenadiers!

...a dedicated hobby room :)

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! :)

So we were talking about going all the way back to the beginning... here are some true oldies. These were some of the very first I scored for this collection back in 2009.

Custom Cast Wood Elf w/ Bow:

Manufacturer: Custom Cast
Line: Der Kriegspielers Fantastiques
Catalog #: 1045
Title: Elves of the Woodlands with Fair Countenances Elven Bows and Spears (6)
Release date: 197? (anyone know when this line came out? That detail is seldom mentioned at my go-to source for info, the Lost Minis Wiki
Date painted: 2009

I like this elf quite a bit despite it being a little rough around the edges. Great hair, pose, and I dig the intregal bow-string. Those ears--would you believe I cut them down considerably with a knife and file? :) Wouldn't mind having a few more of these. My "encounter" wood elves are the Grenadier elves of the Sylvan Forest variety, and then I have three dungeon dweller ones I wouldn't mind expanding either.

Archive Varangian Axeman (fighting man):

Manufacturer: Archive
Line: Fantasy Series
Catalog #: 5003
Title: Heroes: Varangian Axeman
Release date: 197? (pretty sure between 1975 and 78, and let me know if you are more certain)
Sculptor: Nevile Stocken

I have the mounted version of this figure as well, but sadly not the horse. I :-* :-* figs that come mounted/unmounted and there are too few of them. Dragon Tooth are fantastic for that reason. More recently some of the Mordheim characters were done that way. There are a few Metal Magic ones Mega produces now, a few Ral Parthas, and a few others. But they are altogether too rare, such that I went as far as to create a curse in my campaign that has made horses altogether unsuitable for riding anywhere in the campaign area. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to represent outdoor encounters, and goal one is to represent as much as possible faithfully in miniature. It would be cool to someday track down a whole party of mounted/unmounted adventurers, but you couldn't run AD&D with them without breaking the rules, because AD&D has high party turnover. 4e would be fine for it but I wouldn't play 4e. A new style story game would be good as well.

Back to Archive and this particular fig... Archive are honestly not my favorite, but this varangian is probably my favorite of the few archive I do have. They have funny googly eyes and I guess that's part of the charm. The clothing folds are extremely rough compared to the Grenadiers (folds being something Chernak did wonderfully from the beginning). btw I sculpted the chainmail. 

Three Tom Meier Dwarves:

Dwarf of the Anvil:

Manufacturer: Ral Partha
Line: Wizards, Warriors and Warlocks
Catalog #: E311
Title: Dwarf of the Anvil, in full chainmail, with mattock, striking overhead
Release date: 1976
Sculptor: Tom Meier

Ral Partha Dwarf of the Blue Mountains:

Line: Wizards, Warriors and Warlocks
Catalog #: E313
Title: Dwarf of the Blue Mountains, swinging axe
Release date: 1976

Dwarf Lord:

Line: Personalities and Things that go Bump in the Night
Catalog #: 01-031 (version 2)
Title: Dwarf Lord
Release date: ?

group:

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 06:52:39 PM »
More lovely eye candy! :-*

I love your style used in conjunction with these guys.

Now you are painting old school Dwarves, it got me thinking; Do you have any of the old Asgard Dwarves?

They were some of my first ever miniatures and I would love to see how you would paint them up.

In fact, I think it is high time I got my grubby little mitts on some of those again.....

Now look what you have gone and done! ::)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
Der Kriegspieler Dwarves and Elves!  Oh my.  I have an army (400?+) of the dwarves of which the core is DK and RP and a smaller army of Those Elves (several bow poses, spears, sword) on my Fantasy shelves.

Still my all time favorites, the DK dwarves but the RP ones are a close second.  Those Elves are extremely fun figures too (but they are Elves... and hence, "Axe Practice" foes.)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 04:21:11 AM »
More lovely eye candy! :-*

I love your style used in conjunction with these guys.

Now you are painting old school Dwarves, it got me thinking; Do you have any of the old Asgard Dwarves?

They were some of my first ever miniatures and I would love to see how you would paint them up.

In fact, I think it is high time I got my grubby little mitts on some of those again.....

Now look what you have gone and done! ::)

Thanks!  You know I put in an order to Viking Forge about 5 years ago to get the whole Jes Goodwin orcs range (which I cataloged on the Lost Minis Wiki: ]http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Orcs_%28Asgard%29 btw), but I didn't get the dwarves at the time. Amazingly, I just went to get the Viking Forge url to post here and lo and behold they've come out of the dark ages and have AWESOME pics up of the dwarves:http://www.thevikingforge.net/25mm-fantasy-dwarves.html  :o .... Wait, they still may be a bit twentieth century after all: you still have to SNAIL MAIL the order o_o, but at least they have an email address now. It was a little odd ordering snail mail even five years ago, but I got great service. I think now I may have to go for these dwarves.  :) The orcs (which would be better called goblins, are beautiful figs by the standards of any age, for any interested in evil creepy goblins. There's a scale pic in the set I linked to above. Anyway, thanks for steering me back to Asgard/Viking Forge Mason, another miniatures order in my queue is just what I needed most! ;)

Der Kriegspieler Dwarves and Elves!  Oh my.  I have an army (400?+) of the dwarves of which the core is DK and RP and a smaller army of Those Elves (several bow poses, spears, sword) on my Fantasy shelves.

Still my all time favorites, the DK dwarves but the RP ones are a close second.  Those Elves are extremely fun figures too (but they are Elves... and hence, "Axe Practice" foes.)

Gracias,

Glenn

Whoah, would like to see that!  :o  :)  I actually do have a small contintent of the Der Kriegspieler dwarves. I think there are five or six, maybe as many as eight. I agree they are great! I think I just have the one elf, though. I saw a few lots come up on ebay, but I tried to get a bargain and was outbid.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:24:19 AM by Spooktalker »

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
AWESOME!!!!
Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 10:35:49 AM »
http://www.thevikingforge.net/25mm-fantasy-dwarves.html

Aaaarrrrggghhhh!

I didn't need to see this!   :o   :o

I have some of those in single and pairs.  :-*   I really didn't need to see the long spears (Dwarven long spears/pikes in a unit are a secret longing...)   o_o  o_o  o_o  :)

Drat!   ::)  Curses!   lol

Actually, thanks.   8)  I need another dose of Dwarven addiction like...    ???  Oh, heck,  I now have to modify my budget...

Gracias,

Glenn