Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:12:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689311
  • Total Topics: 118272
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old school D&D - August 25 - Pig-face Orc Shaman  (Read 86867 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Old school D&D - Mar 5: Hobgoblins p.19
« Reply #285 on: March 06, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »
Really like this new addition !

My favorite fantasy topic on LAF, definitly.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #286 on: March 07, 2014, 12:35:23 AM »
Great job on some..."meh" miniatures.  Not a fan of those hobgoblins, but you made them work.  Great work as usual - this is one of my big inspirations for my own dungeon project.  Well done!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
Any updates? 

You got fans!

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #288 on: April 05, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »
Doesn't get any better than this! Awesome old school miniatures painted and photographed so well! :)

Offline HvM

• Scientist
    • http://www.hvmworkbench.com
« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »
excellent choice of colours for great looking oldies :D
]

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »
I know what the original orcs look like, the conversions are amazing!  Any chance you could do a quick tutorial on how you do the snouts and the other facial conversions?
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #291 on: May 13, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
It's been a long time since I updated this thread! I've been working on D&D stuff here and there in the meantime, but in the last few months I've restarted my AD&D campaign and have been making this project my main focus again.

Was showing a few things on another thread:

I took some pics tonight of the primed Gold Line stuff I have on the workbench. The past two years I've been taking advantage of assembly line and economies of scale techniques and doing huge batches of each prep task, and I have tons of primed figures to paint now.

Adventurers

Adventurers

Some of these are weapon-swaps and/or fixes, for example I fixed the mask the guy on the top second from the left which was skewed pretty badly in the molding process. The female thief was pretty delicate at the ankles and I have steel wires reinforcing her legs, so now she is rock solid. I resculpted the dagger so it can point out from the body in a natural way.

Mind Flayer

Dwarves

Gnomes

There's a Citadel gnome in their midst...

Goblins

Some Wizzards and Warriors line "kobolds" are mixed in. The main difference is the kobolds had tiny feet, so you can see I enlarged them (after I primed them). I love that I have mounted and foot versions of the leader-type. Also, spot the converted Gold Line dwarf! (Hint: a casting of the dwarf is shown painted earlier in this thread)

Aspis
The one second from the right is the stock pose, but I cut the antennae free on the other castings and then a little greenstuff was needed to smooth things out. Big improvement, though, IMO. I would have liked to have done some conversions but life is too short in this case. I sucked it up and am going with a whole unit of one pose, and after a deep breath I am perfectly happy with it that way.  :)

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #292 on: May 13, 2018, 06:57:10 PM »
Here's a scratch-build ogre I just finished:

Ogre

Here's how I made him (pardon the crappy picture taken from too close):

Ogre WIP

More in a blog post: https://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2018/05/d-scratch-built-ogre.html

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Old school D&D - May 13 - Scratch-built ogre
« Reply #293 on: May 13, 2018, 07:12:17 PM »
Woah!

That's brilliant! I love the fungal (mossy?) growths on the shoulders and knees.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
Re: Old school D&D - May 13 - Scratch-built ogre
« Reply #294 on: May 17, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »
Woah!

That's brilliant! I love the fungal (mossy?) growths on the shoulders and knees.

Thanks! They are the "warty bumps" called out in the Monster Manual as often being of a different color than the skin. I placed them in line with how keratosis pilaris appears on humans.

Today I have some shrooms to share. Have had these on the workbench for a long time.

Myconids:

The Monster Manual II tells us Myconids range in size from S to L and from 1-6 hit dice, with only the king having the full 6.

My 1HD small myconids are Ral Partha purchased from Ral Partha Europe. The castings are squashed along the mold axis to the point I had to greenstuff all the caps to make them round again, rather than oval. Really nice sculpts, though, and true to the D&D illustrations and description

I plan to scratch-sculpt the Myconid king, and perhaps a few other tall ones. If I ever put in an order with a company like Hasslefree or CP that makes good Myconids I will probably get a few of those to add.

As you can see, I'm converting some Reaper Bones mushroom men as well.

And these will be my shriekers/violet fungi. Made from Super Sculpy.

There are a number of nice violet fungi/shrieker minis old and new, but I was set on having a large collection of many different sizes as described in the Monster Manual, and the available figures are all of a single, large size.

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
Re: Old school D&D - May 16 - Myconids and Shriekers/V. Fungi WIP
« Reply #295 on: May 18, 2018, 01:52:56 AM »
Cool stuff.  Always enjoy seeing your work.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
Re: Old school D&D - May 19 - Harpies
« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2018, 06:20:42 AM »
Thanks m4jumbo!

Continuing to push on the D&D project. Just finished a new encounter group of harpies.

Here they are WIP, showing conversions. Fixed the one disappointing aspect of these figures.

More on the conversion work on the blog: https://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2018/02/on-workbench-harpies-encounter-group.html

And finished:

Grenadier and Ral Partha Harpies

I admire both sets of sculpts, the Grenadier ones by Sandra Garrity and the Ral Partha ones by Bob Olley, and what's better is how well they go together, even down to the exact same style base, with similar ground details sculpted on. I'm not sure which came first, but it's as if one sculptor had copies of the others work in hand while sculpting them.

I chose a straightforward color scheme. In my D&D campaign they guard a certain mountain pass and get a lot of sun. I could have got fancier with the wing coloration but kept it dark and minimal, and used vultures as reference.

Ral Partha Harpy

Grenadier Harpy

Ral Partha Harpy

Grenadier Harpy

Grenadier Harpy

And for more about the finished harpies: https://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2018/05/d-harpies.html

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Old school D&D - May 19 - Harpies
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2018, 08:56:46 AM »
Don't often see conversions like that outside of plastic surgery ;) Well done they look like they were always meant to be that way after painting. Very impressed. Great colours too.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
Re: Old school D&D - June 23 - Stone Giant
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2018, 06:35:04 PM »
Thanks, Beefcake. :)

Next up is an Otherworld stone giant sculpted by Paul Muller, one of my favorite sculpts, and favorite figures in my collection.

In Strides the Stone Giant

Otherworld D&D Stone Giant

Write-up and additional pics in a blog post: https://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2018/06/otherworld-d-stone-giant.html

Thinking of going with this picture backdrop for D&D moving forward. Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:38:04 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Old school D&D - June 23 - Stone Giant
« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2018, 07:03:26 PM »
I really like that giant, both the sculpt and the paint job.