Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:09:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old school D&D - August 25 - Pig-face Orc Shaman  (Read 86998 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Old school D&D - June 23 - Stone Giant
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »
Really liking this thread. Such a great blend of imagination and skillzzzz!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #301 on: June 24, 2018, 01:40:55 AM »
Just read this thread from the beginning. Most of the superlatives in the English language have already been deployed, and rightfully so! Your painting is just awesome.

25mm is still my scale, and I have most of the dudes you have shown on this thread (not nearly as pretty, though!) Love seeing the old figs painted like this. In particular, I'd love to see what you do with more Custom Cast! The elven archer is fantastic.

Great stuff!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #302 on: June 24, 2018, 09:13:02 AM »
That giant's absolutely splendid! A great addition to a terrific thread!

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #303 on: June 24, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »
Brilliant work on that giant!  :-*

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #304 on: June 24, 2018, 08:36:19 PM »
This is an inspiring thread! Your giant looks wonderful. Any chance we might see your painted mushroom men?

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #305 on: June 25, 2018, 12:54:05 AM »
That giant is amazing! Love the facial features.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #306 on: June 25, 2018, 05:32:40 AM »
Just found your thread. Its glorious  8) 8) I have  many of these figs in my collection but have not used them in some time. You almost inspire me to run a old school dungeon crawl using chainmail rules and this part of my collection like I did back in the mid 70's  lol lol

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #307 on: June 25, 2018, 09:41:06 AM »
I am completely in love with your collection! Such amazing and wonderful figures!! Keep up the AWESOME work!!

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #308 on: June 26, 2018, 03:49:55 AM »
Some increiblr work in here, both your painting and sculpting skills are a joy to behold - you've inspired me to pull the painting bench out into the living room and get some serious work done on the critters and adventurer's for my homebrew ACKS campaign  :o  :D

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Re: Old school D&D - July 4 - Borderlander NPCs
« Reply #309 on: July 04, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »
Thanks all for your kind words! It is so great being here on LAF among fellow enthusiasts of this vein of fantasy.

25mm is still my scale, and I have most of the dudes you have shown on this thread (not nearly as pretty, though!) Love seeing the old figs painted like this. In particular, I'd love to see what you do with more Custom Cast! The elven archer is fantastic.

Nice to make acquaintances with a like-minded collector! As it happens, I don't know when I will get to them, but look at the windfall I just picked up at a convention flea market... many Custom Cast among them, including elves!

All I can say for now is that they are on the "will paint some day" list in my head.  :) I need to strip them first, and it will probably take a Simple Green pass and then an acetone pass to get them clean. With my stripping backlog and aversion to acetone, I would put them out at least a few years.

This is an inspiring thread! Your giant looks wonderful. Any chance we might see your painted mushroom men?

Thanks! Regrettably, probably not soon.  I run a sandbox campaign, and My D&D queue is dictated by player choice and what is needed for the upcoming games. I can say, though, that myconids are one of the main underground races in my milieu and wherever the campaign leads, they will show up at some point.

Just found your thread. Its glorious  8) 8) I have  many of these figs in my collection but have not used them in some time. You almost inspire me to run a old school dungeon crawl using chainmail rules and this part of my collection like I did back in the mid 70's  lol lol

This is music to my ears, and something I hope for in the back of my mind when I share my stuff online. Few things would make me happier than to hear news you've gone ahead and done it, even a one-off! If you do, please drop me a note, it would make my day.  :)

you've inspired me to pull the painting bench out into the living room and get some serious work done on the critters and adventurer's for my homebrew ACKS campaign  :o  :D

As above, hearing this makes all the work of sharing online worth it. If you put your own stuff up, please drop me a link!  :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:32:21 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #310 on: July 04, 2018, 05:30:21 PM »
Here are some rustic folk of the sort the players in my D&D campaign are encountering in the borderlands. They'd also work for historical or even Oldhammer, in a pinch.

Denizens of the Borderlands

Another shot with a different backdrop and some other borderlands NPC-types from my collection.

And these old glory peasants are the first of a more than a hundred I got mainly for historical games, but that will probably show up in fantasy games. These two in particular so matched my vision of my borderlands denizens, though, that they rose to the top of the queue.

Old Glory Peasants Carrying Boar

And a few adventurers who fit the theme. Not happy with the base on the thief here, and the ranger was languishing in a WIP box for years, seeming to need some special tweak or another to make the figure "sing" but finally I said, be done with it.

Grenadier Thief from the 2007 Females Box Set

Grenadier Ranger, also from the 2007 Females Set

More words and pics in a blog post: https://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2018/06/d-npc-borderlanders.html.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:34:23 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #311 on: July 04, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »
Those are lovely - and look tremendously useful for RPGs!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #312 on: July 04, 2018, 07:14:38 PM »
What wonderful nostalgia this thread brings to mind.  We had many fine sculptors working back in the '80's - Grenadier sets being among the particular high points (although most suffering from the telephone pole spear shafts that alloys of the time made necessary).  What you demonstrate that has certainly improved from that time is the level of painting that hobbyists have since mastered. 

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #313 on: July 04, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »
Holy cow, that's a great find at the flea market. Maybe I should start cruising a few!

The Grenadier ladies look great. That bow conversion on the ranger looks so much better than the original bow. Nice color for the thief's leotard.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #314 on: July 05, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »
Whoa! I missed that shot of the flea-market haul: superb! Those carrion crawlers will slot into your D&D collection nicely, I'd imagine.

(My seething envy at your securing that Tom Meier giant troll champion is only mollified by this morning's fortuitous acquisition of a bunch of Citadel orc wyverns: the preslotta, Fantasy Tribes sort!)