Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:53:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690702
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SAS in Oman 1970 (pictures added page 3)  (Read 12302 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: SAS in Oman 1970
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 08:02:55 AM »
From the faces, they look to be Martin Baker Sculpts ( he does work for OUtpost, Black Hat and Black Cat etc)

Offline Mustasha Pasha

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »
The figures are precisely 28mm top-of-base to eye level for an upright pose. Unfortunately before the figures were packed up again to go to the caster, all we had available to compare against were some Perry ECW to which they are identical in height.

PS well spotted Lowtardog!
"Guns, lots of guns!"

Offline Mustasha Pasha

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 11:01:59 PM »
Update from Commando HQ

First pictures of our pre-production casts are now shown on our website. So far we have four basic figures, two each from our forthcoming British Infantry and Command packs. Photos on the site illustrate the figures with some of the variations of headgear, weaponry and backpacks that will be available. Unfortunately the first casting of the SLR has not been a success and it will have to be re-sculpted. It is one of those items where castability has to take precedence over scale accuracy. This will mean a slight delay to the production of figures armed with SLRs and the SLR weapon packs.   

We are pushing ahead on all fronts at the moment with a range of corrugated iron and sandbagged revetments, huts and observation posts also under development. Very shortly this fascinating but completely unwargamed period will at last be served by figures and equipment.

www.commandominatures.com

Commando One

Offline Mustasha Pasha

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 08:42:58 AM »

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »

Commando Miniatures philosophy is to supply everything a wargamer needs when starting out in a particular period, so buildings, vehicles, boats and other equipment are all in the pipeline.

Is there any chance of separate weapons sprues?  I could really use some loose L1A1 SLRs / FN FALs and Sterlings.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »
The sculpts look quite nice and this is a period I'm intensely interested in. Could we have some just in belt order please? I fancy some for Aden and Hong Kong. I've got a shed load of Dinky Saladins, Bedford 3 tonners and the like.

Now a little constructive criticism. Some of those chaps are doing some bloody strange things with weapons. What's with the SLR and Armalite juggling pose? Hopefully we will see some more natural posing and useful patrolling poses because I'd love to buy a few platoons worth. 

BTW field signals are invariably given with the master hand on the weapon, which for 9 out of 10 of us is the right hand. Back in the day freaks of nature AKA lefties were just required to conform and for good reason, as anyone who has had hot brass fly down their shirt front will attest.

Good work so far hope to see the range expand.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 11:13:31 PM »
Mongrels Congo Mercs are armed with FALs and have a mixture of British and American kit. I just finished painting some up and really like them the only problem might be that they are on the light side in the 28mm spectrum.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:29 AM »
I agree with Carlos. Much as I'd like to buy into this range because the period interests me greatly the poses really are putting me off.
The Commando with the Bren is very odd.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »
Likewise, they look fine, except for some odd weapon positions. Presuming our team leader was giving hand signals with his right hand, his SLR would be magazine down, not up. The Bren gunner would also be carrying it barrel to the rear.

Although all this sounds a bit petty, but a lot of effort and juggling would go to putting these weapons into the positions they are in, as opposed to real world 'relaxed' poses that tend to be more economical movement-wise. When you carry a weapon, however relaxed you may be, it is still in a position in which it can be used quickly without fumbling about. 

Most of the figures are fine though and look well sculpted. A couple of them just 'look wrong'. Good luck with these!  :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »
Great miniatures and with the extra amendments as noted below by the members you have a winner. Great choice for post-war period.

Cheers,

Helen
PS: Find someone who knows weapon handling.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Pete_Gill

• Schoolboy
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »
Got to agree ref the weapons poses. Having handled all of those there is no way you could tout them around like that for more than a few minutes. Please take a look at some photos of them being carried and repose as necessary.
They are a useful set of figures but i can't see me buying any as currently posed.

Offline fantail

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
Steve F- The Assault Group does packs of sterlings and SLRs. See them here http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=71

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »
Thanks, fantail; Brummie Thug also put me on to those.  I'd looked under "modern British" but hadn't thought to look under "Commonwealth".

Offline Mustasha Pasha

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »
Just to straighten out some misconceptions. These figures will be marketed with separate weapons so that the user can attach them in any orientation. The basic pack will be SLRs but there will be Armalite or Bren packs available as alternatives.  The NCO is sculpted so that he can have a weapon in either hand. In addition there are four further figures being produced for the initial run which will have the weapons sculpted into the figure.

Also, with one exception, the poses are all based on contemporary photographs. The figure carrying a weapon on his shoulder is based on the famous picture of an FFL infantryman in Indo-China.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »
Also, with one exception, the poses are all based on contemporary photographs. The figure carrying a weapon on his shoulder is based on the famous picture of an FFL infantryman in Indo-China.

But why?