Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:43:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scale definitions  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Scale definitions
« on: November 16, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »
Hi all,
I've been modelling stuff for over 25 years now, but have only just realised something a bit creepy (as in scale  :P ).
According to Wikipediaia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scale_model_sizes
1:73.152 corresponds to 28mm scale. But this is smaller than 1/72. The site admits that scale creep has lead to 1:48 being closer. Now I am 5feet7inches or 1.7m tall. Dividing by 48 gives 35.5mm. This means I would be the size of a 7foot Space Marine.... and certainly taller than any figure I own which purports to be 28mm scale (or at least, more so than most GW models).
Must be one of my off days, but I can't grasp this. Help?

PS - using the actual conversion given gives a closer result, in true 28mm scale. Then why are 1/72 scale figures so much smaller? And 1:48 appear smaller than 28mm. is it all due to creep and heroic sizes?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Scale definitions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
I've always found it odd when blockheads sound off on TMP about  1/48th scale planes being absolutely  far too big for 28mm. The 1/48th figures that come with the planes are smaller than 28mm as often as not.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Scale definitions
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:15:33 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
I've always found it odd when blockheads sound off on TMP about  1/48th scale planes being absolutely  far too big for 28mm. The 1/48th figures that come with the planes are smaller than 28mm as often as not.

Precisely! That's where I started getting in a tizzy about this. My hawker Demi-Fury pilot is smaller than my Foundry models, let alone GW of course.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Scale definitions
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:26:48 PM »
Quote from: "Vanvlak"
Quote from: "Plynkes"

Precisely! That's where I started getting in a tizzy about this. My hawker Demi-Fury pilot is smaller than my Foundry models, let alone GW of course.

The only way I've found to get around the whole mind-boggling problem, is to carry an unpainted Copplestone figure around & surreptitiously try to compare it to a model I like.

Of course, holding it up to the monitor doesn't work too well when shopping online  :(

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Scale definitions
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »
Quote from: "Vanvlak"
Hi all,
I've been modelling stuff for over 25 years now, but have only just realised something a bit creepy (as in scale  :P ).
According to Wikipediaia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scale_model_sizes
1:73.152 corresponds to 28mm scale. But this is smaller than 1/72. The site admits that scale creep has lead to 1:48 being closer. Now I am 5feet7inches or 1.7m tall. Dividing by 48 gives 35.5mm. This means I would be the size of a 7foot Space Marine.... and certainly taller than any figure I own which purports to be 28mm scale (or at least, more so than most GW models).
Must be one of my off days, but I can't grasp this. Help?

PS - using the actual conversion given gives a closer result, in true 28mm scale. Then why are 1/72 scale figures so much smaller? And 1:48 appear smaller than 28mm. is it all due to creep and heroic sizes?

Too complicated for me but working out my height would make me 37.7mm heehee +1 for being above opponent  :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Scale definitions
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 02:39:28 PM »
Tom Meier of Thunderbolt Mountain and a log time contributer to many other brands (notably Dark Sword Miniatures) has a looong rant on this topic
here (scroll down to Friday, February 9. 2007 and go up from there).

http://thunderboltmountain.com/serendipity/

Since he is one of the most naturalistic miniature sculpter I know I find it quite interesting.

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
Scale definitions
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 03:43:25 PM »
Always remember that "modeling" scale as applied to humans is usually "to eye height" whereas when applied to vehicles/buildings/etc is literal.

A 28mm scale miniature is almost never "true-28": It will be about 32mm high.

This usually explains how different scales of vehicles and humans seem to fit together better than what would be mathematically the correct scale.

Cheers,
Torradas
"And Lo, thou shalt close your legs in a snapping action whence your miniature slips from your hand when you are painting. And the paint will be fresh, and your trousers will be soiled, but you will smile - because the mini was saved"
Book of Lead-a-Holics, 3:16

Offline Skunkape

• Bookworm
    • http://www.johnprime.com/games.php
Scale definitions
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:17:44 PM »
Quote from: "Torradas"
Always remember that "modeling" scale as applied to humans is usually "to eye height" whereas when applied to vehicles/buildings/etc is literal.

A 28mm scale miniature is almost never "true-28": It will be about 32mm high.

This usually explains how different scales of vehicles and humans seem to fit together better than what would be mathematically the correct scale.

Cheers,
Torradas

That's what I've always heard about miniature scales versus model kit scales. It's unfortunate that those who sculpt miniatures don't use model kit scale as we'd be able to use plastic model kits easier with our figures.
Skunk

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Scale definitions
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 01:49:46 PM »
Don't get me started on scale its the one thing thats driving me mad at the moment.

That's it you got me started.

For me in 28 planes and tanks on 1/48 seem good.

Cars I have given up on and can't make my mind up one way or another may just go with Company B and Sloppy Jalopy.

Trains are a cause of concern price for scale ratio's horrendous. Then you find one for a tenner and someone says thats too big.

Bugger it I'm off  :x  :x