Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:51:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rare Leibhusaren steam carriage photos  (Read 19470 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Rare Leibhusaren steam carriage photos
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
Michael's and Hobby Lobby (American craft and hobby stores) used to carry plastic wedding carriages, but I couldn't find them when I looked for this project. I had them in mind a few years ago for something similar but didn't buy them- a rare case where my packrat instinct failed me. 

Here's where I got them- the seller also has a 12-pack which I wish I had purchased :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Silver-Cinderella-Coach-Wedding-Favors-Cake-Topper-/310318636004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48406e9be4

Yeah, the twelve pack I was looking at was from zofiaschoice, same price, cheaper shipping to me. ;->=

Sir Randall has admitted his own delight in these designs, so I gather, if I do pop for the bunch, they'll probably all be used locally.

Doug

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
I'm going to blatantly steal this idea.  Thank you.

Now...how many of these would my Martian Hinterlander force really need, and/or be able to field at once?

Some research indicates that at least for US buyers the 6- and 12-packs from eBay are the best price point -  ~$13, or $2.20 each for 6 that I will use, or ~$21 or $1.73 each for 12, where I will never use them all...

Hmm.

I know you all know exactly the dilemma here.  It's ok, you can admit it.

Mancha's releasing sailors (soon?!), so I have to make an aeronef for them of course.

Stop looking at me like that...
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 07:01:31 PM »
Mancha's releasing sailors (soon?!), so I have to make an aeronef for them of course.

Supposedly any friggin' day now, but I was saying that months ago.    :(

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 03:52:13 PM »
***snippage***
Some research indicates that at least for US buyers the 6- and 12-packs from eBay are the best price point -  ~$13, or $2.20 each for 6 that I will use, or ~$21 or $1.73 each for 12, where I will never use them all...

***snippage***

Well, the first one I showed my mother, she was so enchanted, she had to have it. ;->= Really, try in on a few females you want to dazzle.

I'm becoming surprised the ideas that are coming to me. Small airship gondola was the first. And, speaking of gondolas, the request on the Bazar got me thinking of covered 'falze' on water gondolas, then of Renaissance punts I've seen in period movies, and realized these, while not accurate, could look smashing.  lol

Doug

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »
I went ahead and ordered the 12-pack, so I can make four steam-carraiges, a couple mini-nefs, and then I can somehow work up a way to incorporate these into a Martian larger flyer of some sort.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 06:40:18 PM »
I went ahead and ordered the 12-pack, so I can make four steam-carraiges, a couple mini-nefs, and then I can somehow work up a way to incorporate these into a Martian larger flyer of some sort.

If you have a couple that you just can't seem to use, I'll take them off your hands in trade. I wish I'd purchased a larger quantity :P
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
Dr Mathias, could you give any more details please on how you constructed the front?  It looks like you removed the entire front panel somehow, but short of disassembling the whole coach and then cutting the central "keel" plastic I don't see how you managed to do that on four coaches without breaking the model.  I've got a few in progress, and as duplication is the best compliment, I'd like to know how you managed to do it.

Also, were you primarily measuring in metric or imperial?  I've got a 1" box on the back and it looks larger than what you used.

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 12:58:17 AM »
I did indeed remove the front panel. I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to slice the panel out, flush with the sides. As I recall one side is solid mounted, one side was glued, and in some cases I could pry the glued side apart. It wasn't what I'd call easy to do, but the bottom should support the carriage without breaking it after the front part is cut off. The new front is composed of three rectangular panels.

The round PVC cupola was the most difficult part and required some very careful work on a bandsaw and table saw. I have an exacto mitre box and a saw but it isn't as precise as it used to be and I was getting off-square cuts.  Once that was attached I glued a very thin piece of plasticard on top to enclose the cupola. What looks like a compound shape composed of a rectangle and semicircle is actually two pieces butted up against each other and the seam sealed with putty.

Not sure about the measurement on the engine housing, I can get that tomorrow as the carriages are at my workplace. I suspect it was somewhere around 7/8 of an inch. I cut the sides in an irregular shape so they would fit the curvature of the undercarriage- I made a template that fit and traced it for all the pieces.

I'm glad I made all five at once, I never would have made four more if I had completed one by itself.

I wish I was in the habit of taking WIP shots, I get working and pretty much forget to record the process. I'm happy to answer any questions that come up.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 03:47:58 AM »
Snickies, Matt!

I'd no idea this was so tricky. I innocently gave three coaches to a friend who offered to build one for me if I gave him another to build for himself. "Build a squadron and we'll work it out as we go along...' says I.

Hope he works out something less painful to do.

Wait a min, you were asking for more? Masochist!

I may have extras in the by and by...  lol

Doug

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »
(This post is intended as explanation and homage to the original, not threadjacking.)

Here's what I have so far as proof of concept.  The only difficult cut was the cap for the cupola.  For the cupola I ended up using back-to-back pegs I cut from the spools out of a VHS tape.

I notice, by the way, that these models are not square - the left and right sides do not match up with each other.
x-acto knife, razor saw, and hacksaw are the only tools I've used so far.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
(This post is intended as explanation and homage to the original, not threadjacking.)

As I would have thought. No problem I can see.

Here's what I have so far as proof of concept.  The only difficult cut was the cap for the cupola.  For the cupola I ended up using back-to-back pegs I cut from the spools out of a VHS tape.

I've had nothing but issues with VHS tape case parts. You have my admiration; those suckers are made to last.

I notice, by the way, that these models are not square - the left and right sides do not match up with each other.
x-acto knife, razor saw, and hacksaw are the only tools I've used so far.

He called them models.  lol

I'm trying to keep the top for my attempt at a cabin gondola, but the 'lid' doesn't fit at all well once the pins are removed. Several of my lot had the wheels glued at strange angles. QC is not a concern at the plant, obviously. Still, I'm having fun dismantling with mine, and your example has quieted, somewhat, my fears for my gaming partner.  :D

Doug

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
He called them models.  lol
They've got to be models, otherwise they're Toys, and that's a long dark road that leaves the kids confused and my guy-cred on shaky grounds...

I did use a two-direction level to get the wheels on straight, if that helps at all.

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
Hey! That looks really good! You're on exactly the right track.

I agree the back seems to project a little more than mine. I measured it at 13/16" along the top edge. Good idea using VHS spools.

And yes, the originals are not very well made... if you were to inspect any one of my carriages up close you'd see that they lean slightly one way or another... They clearly are not a product of German engineering (as they are in my fantasy world :P )

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »
This is a very dangerous thread for me to be reading, considering how many of those carriages I have in my project drawer and all of those unpainted Hinterland Hussars pining for attention on my painting table....

My compliments, gentlemen, on some very inspiring work.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »
They've got to be models, otherwise they're Toys, and that's a long dark road that leaves the kids confused and my guy-cred on shaky grounds...

Neither; these are decorations, designed to invoke a woman's fantasy, not her judgement. The fact that you're crazy enough to actually attempt to build from this cheap, shoddy beginning, and visions of armored death at that, shows your guy-cred perfectly intact.  :D

I did use a two-direction level to get the wheels on straight, if that helps at all.

So far, boat and airship look to be requiring no wheels. Though, the flower pattern on those must have a use. Pennsylvania Dutch demon ward, I think...

Doug