Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:03:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Māori haka from the colonial New Zealand Wars  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
Māori haka from the colonial New Zealand Wars
« on: September 25, 2011, 04:32:46 AM »
I've posted a fearsome Māori haka (war chant) from the 1980s movie 'Utu' to my blog. 

'Utu' is set in the latter part of colonial New Zealand Wars, and the movie haka is a terrific depiction of a Māori haka from that conflict (albeit from the government side in this part of the movie).

http://arteis.wordpress.com/2011/09/25/a-fearsome-maori-haka-from-the-colonial-new-zealand-wars/

There are also some screenshots of the haka, and the movie poster for 'Utu', on my blog.

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Māori haka from the colonial New Zealand Wars
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:26:50 AM »
Hi. Is the film any good?

Funny enough, IF i was going to do another Colonial period ...
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
Brilliant. Havn't seen the film in years. I think I may have it somewhere on a video. :)

Mind you the All Blacks did it better yesterday  ;)

Paul

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:18:55 PM »
Netflix sent me an email stating that I must be longed on from a mental institution for even suggesting they might have it....that's twice this week.*

*the other coming when I tried to find Let The Good Times Roll.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »
Mind you the All Blacks did it better yesterday 

I doubt it, they didn't have double-barrelled shotguns.............   :o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 06:51:22 PM »

I've always been extremely fond of it. Just don't expect non-stop, all-out action, which definitely isn't what the film is about. And note that there are at least two versions of the film : the original 118 mn cut released in New Zealand (which I believe is also the international version shown in Europe although I'm not sure : see below) and the shorter American version with a running time of 104 minutes.

Speaking of alternate cuts, perhaps Roly could clear a point for me : when I saw the film theatrically in the 1980s, the story was told in flashback mode, with Te Wheke's trial being used as the film's main narrative thread. Is this the cut that's currently available on DVD in New Zealand and Oz, or is the movie you've seen narrated chronologically ? (I know the American version is chronological and doesn't have the flashbacks). The reason I'm asking is because I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the non-American international version was re-edited to create the flashbacks whereas the original Kiwi version was chronological. Never managed to find out whether this is true or not, so perhaps you might help me here.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 06:54:35 PM by Arthur »

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »
Netflix sent me an email stating that I must be longed on from a mental institution for even suggesting they might have it....that's twice this week.*

*the other coming when I tried to find Let The Good Times Roll.

Kino released the American cut in the US a long time ago, but their region 1 DVD has been OOP for quite some time and second-hand copies are fetching interesting prices these days. 

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:04 PM »
My DVD copy is a zone 4 and goes for 118 minutes. I originally saw the movie on video from Michael Broadbent's library of ancients films and loved the movie.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:50:47 PM »
Cheers Helen

One geekish technical question : is the region 4 DVD anamorphic (i.e enhanced for 16 x 9 screens) or just 4 x3 letterboxed ? Oddly enough it's not even listed on the EzyDVD website, which is my default purveyor of all things Australian.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:36:59 AM »
Cheers Helen

One geekish technical question : is the region 4 DVD anamorphic (i.e enhanced for 16 x 9 screens) or just 4 x3 letterboxed ? Oddly enough it's not even listed on the EzyDVD website, which is my default purveyor of all things Australian.

Hi Arthur,

I can set my digital TV to any screen size for the movie. Does that help?

Cheers,

Helen

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 01:27:49 AM »
Yes, they did have plenty of shotguns and muskets. That is why the British had such trouble in the earliest wars.

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 05:17:50 AM »
It is many, many years since I saw 'Utu', so I can't answer the questions here.  I don't even remember the story fully.

However, this has piqued my interest, so I bought a used DVD of the movie on www.TradeMe.co.nz (the NZ version of eBay) this afternoon for the princely sum of $NZ11.95, which even includes the postage! 

I'll report once the DVD arrives and I get a chance to view it.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:26:39 AM »

Funny enough, IF i was going to do another Colonial period ...

I watched it on rental when released, then bought the VHS from a local rental shop, I think it had been watched by 4 or 5 of us - obviously didn't appeal to the Top Gun market. Still have it on VHS and watch it every year or so, I'll have to transfer it or buy it from NZ on DVD. I think it's a very watchable film, good cast, lots of action and a very nice period look.

Set as the last real Maori War is coming to a close in the 1860s, a revenge tale from both sides. I'd recommend it.

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:34:21 AM by Galloping Major »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 07:17:47 AM »
Loved the film, it once appeared on terrestrial tv and never saw it again nor have been able to get a copy in the UK :(
Great link :D