Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690821
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 532
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tracking Down the Grenadier Warbots.  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
Tracking Down the Grenadier Warbots.
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:20:30 PM »
Hi all,

Recently I've become a bit obsessed with trying to find the Warbots sets from Grenadier Miniatures. They were first released in 1984 and sculpted by one of Grenadier's most talented sculptors, John Dennett. As part of my quest I contacted Mr. Dennett and I'd like to share his response with you as both a brief history of the Warbots and proof that John is a class act.

But first some images of the bots themselves. John also did the cover paintings.

"Hi Brian,

Nice to meet you!

Ah, the Warbots. While employed at Grenadier, I had sold the owners on this pet idea of mine. Warbots was my baby, my shot at designing an original series of Warrior Robots inspired by the likes of Macross, Orgruss and Votoms. I had wanted to do them for an in-house game system to be produced by Grenadier but they caught the attention of Mayfair games who arranged to build a RPG around them. I did do an additional series of pen & ink drawings of about 15 characters that were used by Mayfair in the rule book I believe though I never got one. Far as I know nobody got one as Warbots, the Game never got beyond the planning stage. Who knows why. My series of Warbots figures never got beyond the two boxed sets that were released so all the other characters I had planned to sculpt were put to a permanent halt.

I would love to bring those little guys back cause I always felt they were never given a proper chance to play out as planned…however, I don’t have the originals nor the molds as they became the sole property of Grenadier. When they went out of business most all of their molds were bought up by a company in Italy, so I was told many years ago. I’ve seen some of my sculptures re-released but not the Warbots. Either they have them and don’t care to do anything with them or they don’t have them and perhaps they’re in the hands of someone else. Again, a rumor I had heard was that not all the molds were sold to Italy so another individual may be sitting on them.

Sadly, I cannot re-release them but if I had ownership of the molds I would definitely work out a deal with you.
It does annoy me that so much of my early work may be lost forever especially when people like yourself express the interest in bringing them back for a new audience to enjoy.
I thank you for your appreciation of my work and for contacting me with this proposition. Your gesture means a lot to me.

Best wishes!
Sincerely,
John Dennett"

Thanks to John and I'll keep everyone posted as this plays out.
"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure."

-- Winston Churchill

Visit Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine! http://roebeast.blogspot.com/
And RSquared Studios: www.rsquaredcomics.com

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tracking Down the Grenadier Warbots.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:04:26 AM »
I had those they were nice back in the day
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:18:15 AM »
I had those they were nice back in the day

Aye me too :D

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:50:53 AM »
The company in Italy was Nemo miniatures who I believe sold everything to Mirliton. Of course some moulds may have gone elsewhere at every stage. There are a lot of Grenadier models that never went back into production. Possibly Grenadier didn't even have moulds for them at the time either, just masters, who knows?

Oh wait, if these were ever released in the UK maybe Doug from EM4 knows more.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 03:56:17 PM »
The company in Italy was Nemo miniatures who I believe sold everything to Mirliton. Of course some moulds may have gone elsewhere at every stage. There are a lot of Grenadier models that never went back into production. Possibly Grenadier didn't even have moulds for them at the time either, just masters, who knows?

Oh wait, if these were ever released in the UK maybe Doug from EM4 knows more.

Thanks for the info about EM4. I'm in contact with Mirliton now and they're checking to see if they have the master molds.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »
I don't recall seeing those before.  If I'd seen them in 1984, I'd have been  :-* 

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
I think I first started getting Grenadier figures around 1985, but I don't recall Warbots. I hope you can track 'em down.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »
This is as classic as it gets. I love the vintage box cover illustrations, looks like it's straight from a 50s SciFi novel  :)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
You want to talk with Stefano Grazzini of Mirliton Miniatures, in Italy. I know him and he always told me he's got everything of Grenadier inc. (USA branch)
Releases depend on demand and actual sales of course.

Nice figs, these. Manga/Eldar -ish
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:35:42 AM »
I'm in contact with Stefano. He replied to my initial query very quickly and seems to be interested in helping.

John Dennett is a hugely talented artist. Not only did he sculpt these but he did the cover art and several ink drawings that were to have been used in the rulebook. Too bad Mayfair dropped the ball, it sounds like he had a lot of backstory and plans for future mecha.

Here's hoping that the molds are safe and can be pressed back into service.  :D

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 06:59:31 AM »

John Dennett is a hugely talented artist. Not only did he sculpt these but he did the cover art and several ink drawings that were to have been used in the rulebook. Too bad Mayfair dropped the ball, it sounds like he had a lot of backstory and plans for future mecha.

Here's hoping that the molds are safe and can be pressed back into service.  :D

Amen sir!

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »
I just heard from Stefano at Mirliton today and he said that they will be casting some of these and hopefully re-releasing them. I am a happy mecha-head.  :D

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 11:48:40 PM »
I just heard from Stefano at Mirliton today and he said that they will be casting some of these and hopefully re-releasing them. I am a happy mecha-head.  :D

Good work Sir.  There should be LAF medals for going above the call of duty to resurrect OOP minis.  Much like the scratchbuilding Nobels. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 03:13:12 AM »

Great news!

There are a couple of those that I'd like to have, myself!

Offline NVDoyle

• Schoolboy
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 03:46:37 AM »
Well done, Brian! I had forgotten about these until reading this thread. I think I used to have some, many many years ago. Long gone, of course. I'd be up for a Runner-Pod Attack Team box.