Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:37:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WotR Unit Composition  (Read 7990 times)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: WotR Unit Composition
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
Interesting discussion  :)

You do know Steve that it's getting more and more tempting to get a box or two myself  :D

cheers

James

They are highly addictive, now you have been warned :D

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »
Going back to topic, I would venture that it was a case of who could be mustered in the time available. As you can see from mine I go for roughly 1:1 but then with the rules I will possibly be using its immaterial anyway.

With these things I'm always mindful of a lot of WWII games I see where every tank platoon/squadron is at full strength, ideal yes, reality? 

Go for the look I say.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 12:26:26 AM »
Regarding Phil's point about rules, I've started to draft some with a melee and movement structure that will allow poleweapons to be engaged at 1" whereas sword/mace etc will have to be in base to base contact.  This means that billmen attacking say archers will have a free poke/hack before the archers can close to full contact and respond. I'm trying to achieve a situation where the archer will have the advantage at a distance (bows) and at base contact (swords) whereas billmen will have the advantage at near base contact.  What do you think: realistic?

I'm not being intentionally awkward, but there's an assumption here that they fought as separate entities. It might be valid that bills stood at the back of the archers and then moved forwards when the enemy closed... the 'mixed' or 'combined' formation of some rule sets. Alternatively if your bills and men at arms were in one unit and your archers on the flanks, attacking archers with your bills, leaves your archers vulnerable to your opponent's heavy infantry.

I honestly don't have a clue how they lined up for battle, or what their tactics were. A man who knows what he's doing with a bill could well be more than a match for an experienced archer with sword and buckler, a man that doesn't is likely to be a liability to himself and his companions. Would the archers, if they felt themselves vulnerable to the bills, actually stand there patiently waiting to be charged, or would they fall back behind a main battle line of men at arms and bills?

We're pretty much back to the same answer as for troop ratios, whatever works for you is best.  ;) 

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
Interesting discussion  :)

Slightly off topic I suppose but the ECW pikeman was thought of as the gentleman on the field and the musketeers were just the local 'have a goes'.

All to do with the training of course and I suspect the same was true of the WotR (just weapon reversal).

You do know Steve that it's getting more and more tempting to get a box or two myself  :D

cheers

James

I left some Perry sprues down the club (as well as my two box force).

So you can knock some together at no cost ;)